Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying A New Dillon From Brian Enos

I was in the market for a reloading press and many shooters recommended a dillon press..so I researched the net and called brian on the phone.he was very knowledgable about the product like most dealers were Not....I got the press and it being new to me Brian was right their with the answers on the phone...Guys if you are looking for a Dillon press I strongly suggest you buy from Brian ..He will be thier when you have some questions..and he saved me some money from buying direct from dillon. :D:D:D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

When I ordered my 1050 from Brian a while ago, I also ordered a buttload of small primer tubes, I think 20 or so. I can fill these while watching TV, and have no slow downs when I get to cranking.

Anyway, Brian called to double check that I had actually meant to order that many. The man pays attention. It impressed me then, and still does. Any other place would just process the off the wall order, instead of trying to prevent a mistake. Of course, now Benos probably thinks of me as a primer tube hoarding whacko, but I guess that's what I am!

On someone's advice I checked out the Frankford Arsenal tube loader from Midway USA. I got one on sale for about $40 and it works great. From reaching for the next box of primers to setting the loaded tube in the rack for later use is right at 60 seconds.

Just keep a finger on the bottom of the tube being loaded so it doesn't fall out and dump primers all over the garage (don't ask how I know this :rolleyes: ).

Mark R.

Don't get your fingers or eyes or anything near either end of a primer tube. I treat them like gun muzzles.

It's not an accident that Dillon's primer tube on the RF-100 is encased in heavy steel and that the cover is 0.150"+ thick polycarbonate. There IS a reason....

• 2 months later...
Not even close, it would take about 70 primer tubes to equal a RF100!

Plus I can fill the tubes in a sort of fugue state while my wife has some sort home and garden decorating show on!

My wife loads our primer tubes, and man, is she fast. I would never blow $240 on an RF100 with her around... :wub:

-Chet

Hope your beter half doesn't read this thread. She will know that you think she is only worth 240 bucks, sounds like a long time in the dog house to me...

Well, she's got a brand new Dawson MiniGun Stroker while I'm shooting a 12 year old CZ75, so she's probably got it figured out already that I think she's worth more than an RF100. :P

-Chet

• 2 weeks later...

Brian was fantastic. Right to the point, and no BS. I not only bought a new 650, but learned a few tricks while on the phone. He also sent me the part number for the powder return springs that Dillon said were no longer made....Two thumbs up!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I read every word on the Dillon presses because I do not believe in the approach, "Get what you can afford, upgrade later". I load for several hand guns and a few rifles so changing from one to another was important to me.

I also loaded with both a 550 B and a 650 prior to placing my order. I consider myself a shooting nut, but by some standards am simply a beginner, by others I am more advanced.

The end result is that I bought a 550 B and have never, not for one second regretted the machine I chose. Yea, I catch a little flack from some of the guys at the steel shoots in the area (man on man format) but that has been short lived. I progressed from beginner to master in 12 months, thanks to the 550 B and a buddy letting me shoot his extra gun until mine was built.

The point is, a 550 B was a perfect machine for me. I wanted to load 40 S&W, 38 Super, 45 ACP, 44 Mag, 357, 9mm (for my dad), and a bunch of other stuff. Had I bought a 650, the money would have limited the options due to cost but I could have made it work, and nearly did. Since I bought my 550 B I have loaded ammo all over the place. I enjoy going out the the loader and putting out 500-1000 rounds at a time and the ease and speed of changing to a different cartrige. On a 650 you can do it, and yes, it loads faster, but it takes A LOT longer to change from 40 to 45 and with the time I save in the change over, I load a few extra rounds.

Unless you are going to load for only one or two guns, I recommend the 550 B. It is simple to run, cost effective, and loads fast enough to put yourself into serious bullets in a hurry. You quickly will find you are picking up a bullet, reaching for a case and indexing without thinking about it. To date I have loaded over 15,000 rounds and have never had a misfire or mis feed (I gage my ammo).

No, I am not a Brian Enos (I have dreams of one day being that good), but I am no new B who knows nothing about reloading either. I shoot several thousands of rounds a year (now that I have the perfect machine) and for a vast majority of the shooters, even the serious ones, the 550 B is a good choice.

My theory was to get what I wanted, and I did. I was fortunate in that I had access to both machines and was able to use them both before I bought. I was also fortunate in that one of the guys running a 650, the one I used, was honest enough to say, "I wish I had gotten a 550 but I'm just too far into this one to switch". Yea I still take a little flack from a few of the guys at the range, but I give it right back to them on their mis-feeds and it's all in fun.

I can not recommend the 550 enough. Next will be a shotgun machine, but that's another story. Good shooting to all.

Tazmo65@aol.com

Thanks Martin, and everyone for the good words!

Tazmo's post highlights one of my toughest sales challenges - to sell a customer a 550 (I know that's all he needs from talking to him) when he wants a 650 (because his buddies are pressuring him to buy one, and will continue to ridicule him if he ends up buying a 550 instead of a 650).

Thanks again!

be

• 1 month later...

I'm on the wrong side of the big pond otherwise I'd follow the advice and buy from Brian, but I've been offered the following stuff. I'm starting from scratch so could I trouble you experts to eye through the list and see if something vital is missing, or maybe something nice to have... I'm going to reload mainly .40 s&w and 9mm. Everything is factory new and price is about $2000.

XL650 9mm/.38 Super

Small Pistol (Euro. 220v) Csfd Assy

Large Pistol Casefeed Plate

Dillon 3-die-set, 9mm

Dillon 3-die-set, 40S&W

650 Conv .40 S&W

Strong Mount for XL 650

Plastic Roller Handle

Case Cleaner **

Digital caliber

Eliminator loading scale

tumbler media, 3 lbs **

Bullet Tray

XL 650 Video Instruction Manual

Primer Pickup Tubes, 2 Small,2 Lrg.

Primer Flip Tray

DP Bench Wrenc

Powder Dies

XL 650 Cartridge Bin

XL650 Spare Parts Kit

XL 650 Machine Cover

Low Powder Sensor

Powder Measure *

XL 650 Toolhead *

XL 650 Toolhead Stand *

XL650 Quick Change bundle ***

CM-2000 Case/Media Separator

My 2 cents:

Ditto on the One Shot. Order that stuff by the case!

Is this a package from an idividual? If you are ordering from a retailer, I'd make the following changes:

1. Aluminum roller instead of the plastic version.

2. 220 volts!? Don't you know that's dangerous? :o

3. Ditch the flip tray and extra pick-up tubes. Get to MidwayUSA.com, and if they will ship to you get the vibraprime and a package of extra tubes.

4. Order Lee Factory Crimp Dies (FCD) for your chose calibers. It will be the be $25 (don't know the conversion) you'll spend. Midway has them. Order a package of the 1" die rings from Dillon for the FCDs. The OEM Lee rings are thick and may not allow the die to adjust down far enough. They also jam up against other stuff on the tool head.

5. Make sure you have enough room for the case feeder - with a strong mount it is easy to cram the feeder against the ceiling and not have room to drop cases into the feeder or change the plate.

6. If you don't need/can't use the strong mount, you also can't use the bullet tray.

7. The 650 will come with a powder measure. I think you will need 2 (9mm and 40), but from the list below, it looks like you may have a total of 3 on order (though the * could mean that you have 1 quick change bundle that has a measure, a tool head, and a tool head stand.)

8. Get an extra toolhead. Comes in handy here and there.

9. I haven't had much use for the low powder sensor, but I think the Powder Check System is a MUST. The PCS makes sure you don't grossly over or under charge a case. The LPS just makes sure you don't run out of powder in the powder measure. The PCS along with a regular visual check give you 2 chances to catch an imporperly charged case.

10. Get 4 of the old version powder measure springs and disable the damn new powder cam thingy. It sucks! (do a search or post back and I'll find you the thread).

Hope this helps. If you need help sourcing some the stuff such as the FCD or the Vibraprime, drop me a PM and we'll figger out a way...

Geek

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.