Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying A New Dillon From Brian Enos

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, sorry for the late reply. iIt sure helped me a lot. Thank you very much. I haven't ordered yet but your suggestions has sure made reselect some stuff on the list that may only lay on a shelf and collect dust.. and that's a waste of money.

Gun Geek,

10. Get 4 of the old version powder measure springs and disable the damn new powder cam thingy. It sucks! (do a search or post back and I'll find you the thread).

Could you post some links to the threads. I did a quick search...but came up empty.

I too just ordered my 550 from Brian, should be getting it next week or so, so i would like to read those threads

EDIT: I found them...here are a link for anyone else who needs it:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...topic=11636&hl=

--Mark

• 2 months later...

Add me to the list of recent converts to Dillon reloaders. I have been using Lee Pro 1000s (5 of them). They work, but not smoothly. Well, I put in a lot of overtime, saved up some $$$ and called Brian yesterday. What a great guy. He noticed I had ordered something I really didn't need, and suggested something else that I probably could use. Now I have a 650 on the way, including a bunch of extra stuff. After I get it up and running, I hope to sell of the Lees. Wish me luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to find a "good deal" on a used 550 set up for about three months.

I finaly had enough of from the bottom of a lake gear at garage sales with "Its worth what I'm asking becacuse of the "No BS warranty, Dillon will fix it. Yea and and getting outbid on eBay got old. Nothing like paying full retail after you add in freight and insurance. I finanly figured out it would be cheaper just to go ahead and buy from Brian, so I laid my credit card on the alter and made sacrifice. "All hail the cult of the Blue." And the cult of the 1911A1 which I can't stay in unless I solve my ammo price problems. I tried to accept the AT500, I tried to love the Square Deal since right now I'm only shooting a .45 Springfield. I tried to just go with the basic 550 but I'd had to much advice and research on the utility of "the way it aught to be" options on the 1911 forum reloading section. So this morning the order or should I say orders went out. I forgot the spare parts kit. I wont need the canned air or lube since I huffing hot air and sweating grease on how much I spent.

You wont need the spares kit for a while, but when you get it don't forget to call dillon every time you use something from it, keep it full. Forget the expense, you just made the best investment you could possibly make as a shooter, it will pay for its self times over. Larry

Man I hope so. In consultation with a shooter I trust he let go with a, "After about 3000 rounds or so you should get familiar with your pistol." The calulator came out. Also at my Texas CHL class we were told that we needed to shoot at an absolute minimum 100 rounds a month. He said the not shooting after you get your license could really hurt you when it's time for your renewal test and also for liability suits if you get involved in a shooting. He said reshoot the test periodically and keep a record in case you ever need to show that you've been diligent. I live in an urban area and the closest gunranges are all indoors. I'll have to cough up for a memebership since I can't afford the $18 to $20 fee that they charge non-members for the use of the range. The ammunition costs are going to be critical for me. I figure I can lose a lot of brass and still beat ammo bulk buys on .45. I've tried Wolf and had no trouble with it but I just don't like the stuff. I'm to old and conservative I guess. I had ordered "Pratical Shoothing Manual" by Matt Burkett and even though it is oriented toward sport shooting it helped me a lot in preperation for my CHL shooting test. I got a 249 out 250 on the shooting. Of course the high score area is a 12 inch circle on a shiloute and the longest range is 15 yards, but I got kudo's from the instructor on the tightness of the group and boy am I rambling. I work a third shift and I'm way over due for sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

Brian is the man... I have waited for too many years to order/start reloading!!

When I ordered from Brian I had the long list of items to order...press, scale, chrono, cal conversions etc. He took all the info from me and said, let me look this over and see if I can save you money!!! He called back in 15 min. and he saved me money...wow...what a concept give the customer what he wants/needs for the lowest price.

Great product better service. I buy from Brian next time for sure. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
II can not recommend the 550 enough. Next will be a shotgun machine, but that's another story. Good shooting to all.

Tazmo65@aol.com

Agree X 10! I have two 550s. One set for small primers, the other for large primers.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently received my XL650 from Brian. It was almost a pleasure giving him my money. He made the purchase comfortable and interesting. He was very informative and personal and offered all the information I needed to make sure that I ordered everything I needed but did not duplicate. My order was shipped almost immediately and arrived very timely...almost surprisingly fast...and not shipping charges or tax!

As far as the XL650 goes...I am making plenty of mistakes, but they are all leading to a thorough understanding of the machine and how it works. While I have had to work through a number of problems (the learning curve) I am extremely satisfied with the engineering of this great machine. Just like my Les Baer, the XL650 is better than I am.

Thanks Brian!

• 2 months later...

I truly hate it when, after having spent countless hours researching a purchase, deciding on a product, listing everything I'll want first and what I will want later and convincing my wife that it's what I really want for my birthday, someone comes along and, changes my mind. That's what seems to be happening here.

I have limited reloading experience. I loaded 30-06 with one of the Lee hand loaders, the one that requires you use a mallet to drive a casing into the neck resizer. I tried the same model for .357 and gave up almost immediately. I think I filled the unit with lead and turned it into a counter weight for one of my bows. I've been loading Active shot shells with a MEC press for, well, for longer than I chose to admit.

Largely because the rounds I want for my 10mm are very hard to come by and hidiously expensive and because the purchase of a Glock .40 S&W and an H&K USP .45 recently increased my ammunition costs, I started thinking of reloading. It doesn't hurt that my wife is looking for something to get me for my birthday.

I had pretty much settled on the Dillong XL650 without any of the upgrades. I'm not likely to ever need it's high volume capacity, but liked the 5 position head. While it obviously does not compare to the automatic case feed option, the ability to load a few cases in a tube that would load them into the plate automatically was a nice touch. Obviously, auto indexing has an appeal, but perhaps only because I'm easily sold on gadgets.

When I started looking to see if there was a price break available, I found this forum. Lucky me . . . I suppose 8^)

At any rate, I have a few questions if you folks have a few minutes to help out a relatively new reloader:

1. My interest in the 5 position reloader relates specifically to the Lee factory crimp die. It sounds like a good idea for someone shooting autoloading pistols. Then again, Dillon doesn't think much of it. The question, is it worth it and do I need a five station head to use it or can I/should I replace the standard crimping die with the factory crimp die?

2. Why is it such a bad idea to get the XL650 without the electric case loader? Isn't the ability to load a few cases into the tube manually good enough for someone purchasing the press for the 5 position head and auto indexing (assumes there are valid reasons to have them).

3. It has been mentioned that it's easier to change calibers in the 550B than in the 650. That's a major issue for someone that shoots and will reload .38/.357, .40/10mm, 9 mm, .45 ACP and .44 magnum (and probably some rifle calibers later). Would someone take the time to explain.

As a final note, perhaps adding insult to injury, I need data fast. My birthday is the 18th of this month. :wacko:

Either way, I'm relatively sure to direct my wife to Brian's site for the purchase. It's the easiest way to get what I need all in one shot. The only question now is which package to suggest she order.

Lee Bell

Lee,

Read up on your selection of Which Dillon that our host provides.

At any rate, I have a few questions if you folks have a few minutes to help out a relatively new reloader:

1. My interest in the 5 position reloader relates specifically to the Lee factory crimp die. It sounds like a good idea for someone shooting autoloading pistols. Then again, Dillon doesn't think much of it. The question, is it worth it and do I need a five station head to use it or can I/should I replace the standard crimping die with the factory crimp die?

2. Why is it such a bad idea to get the XL650 without the electric case loader? Isn't the ability to load a few cases into the tube manually good enough for someone purchasing the press for the 5 position head and auto indexing (assumes there are valid reasons to have them).

3. It has been mentioned that it's easier to change calibers in the 550B than in the 650. That's a major issue for someone that shoots and will reload .38/.357, .40/10mm, 9 mm, .45 ACP and .44 magnum (and probably some rifle calibers later). Would someone take the time to explain.

Lee Bell

Josey Wales wrote:

> Read up on your selection of Which Dillon that our host provides.

Thanks. Good advice already taken. That's the first place I went on this site and the way I found this forum. The selection contained enough information to make me seriously question my original decision to go with the 650, but not quite enough to make me certain that the 550 is a better option for me. Understanding the pros and cons of a 5 hole tool head, which relates directly to the issue of using a factory crimp die, and difference in how easy it is to change calibers in the two presses mentioned by other posters, are key issues in my decision.

The difference in cost between the two options is not as much of an issue as the hassel making a bad decision will involve, particularly since my wife will be buying whatever I chose for me. It would certainly be easier if I could stop into my local gun shop and give each of the units a try. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be an option.

Lee

Lee,

I bought the 550B as my first reloading press ever about 18 months ago, so I'm by no means an expert on differences between the two presses.

In addition to Brian's Which Dillon? comments, I was also counseled by a shooting buddy (who has both the 550B & XL650) to begin with the 550B - because of its simplicity in operation (to get me to focus on producing quality, mistake free ammo, and then if something does 'hang-up' on the press, it's easier to address on the 550B).

I did have a few things 'hang-up' occassionally that I was able to diagnose & fix quickly (a big deal for a mechanically challenged person like me).

Anyway, ~40,000 rounds later, I am still ecstatic over my decision to go with the 550B. Great machine.

I'm not versed on differences with the 5-head v. 4-head setup or use of the Lee FCD, but since I load 40 S&W primarily, I did switch to a EGW sizer/decapper die on station 1 (think it's the same as a Lee sizer/decapper die). This die sizes to the bottom of the case and eliminates the Glock case bulges that I was experiencing every 2-5 rounds per 100.

Regarding caliber changes on the 550B. I have the quick-change kits for both 9mm and 45acp, and it takes about 1 minute to change from .40 to 9mm (no shell plate change), and maybe 5 minutes to change to 45acp (shell plate change required, switch out of small primer cup/tube to large primer cup/tube).

Hope my .02 here helps you on your decision.

• 1 year later...

Lee, hope this helps in making your decision:

1) I use the FCD in both my 550 and 650. You just replace the Dillon die in the respective station. You do NOT need an additional station for this setup.

2) While the 650 caliber change isn't too onerous, it is more involved and time consuming than the 550.

3) Check the cost of 550 vrs 650 Caliber Conversion Kits as that will be your primary additional expense loading multiple calibers.

4) Convience costs. Many folks who load multiple calibers will have separate head assemblies/dies/powder measure tube to simplify and spped up the change process. But you can add these as you feel the need. Note: if going this route, again compare 550 to 650 costs for components.

Personally, if I only had one loader the decision would come down to how many calibers I wanted to load and the quanity. Get the 550 if you have several calibers and will be switching back and forth frequently. Get the 650 if you are only loading a single caliber or you load your secondary calibers infrequently. For me the 650 is set up to run .40 and the 550 is used for all other calibers. This gives me the best of both worlds. The 1050 is a major jump (in price) and I just couldn't justify it for the quanity of .40 I shoot.

I just received my 550B Saturday from Brian, exactly one week to the day from my order. He caught the extra case gage that I accidentally left on my order and credited my Visa for the amount. The EZ-Buy package really streamlines the ordering process. My only suggestion would be to include the "As it should BE" upgrade in the EZ-Buy packages, that would make optioning out the package even easier.

All in all ordering from Brian was a great experience and I will recommend him to any and all who are looking to purchase a Dillon.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.