Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a steel framed wide body

sperman

I doubt this project will ever see the light of day, but i'm toying around with the idea of building a wide body gun that has a complete steel frame / grip (i.e. Caspian or Para.) I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with either of these frames. I did a search and it seems that the para frames like to crack. I've also had people tell me that the Caspian frame requires quite a few Caspian parts, that 1911 parts will not fit.

Before everyone starts telling me to go with an S_I, please don't. I know that's what everyone runs. I have a 6" STI. I'm just looking at what other options are available.

Thanks,

The Caspian frame kits come with all the Caspian Specific pats required..... trigger, m/s housing, ambi safety, beavertail, mag release. Everything else is 1911. Considering all the parts that come with the frame kit, they are a pretty good deal. The new style 140mm Caspian mags are quite nice, and come with tool-less aluminum basepads. I'd build a gun up on one of these kits before a Springfield, but thats just me.

Edited by sfinney

I ordered a Caspian High-Cap during their sale 2 weeks ago. Went ahead and got the parts kit and ordered a slide to go with it. That frame mod sounds interesting. Need to look into that when my slide gets closer to being done.

I doubt this project will ever see the light of day, but i'm toying around with the idea of building a wide body gun that has a complete steel frame / grip (i.e. Caspian or Para.) I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with either of these frames. I did a search and it seems that the para frames like to crack. I've also had people tell me that the Caspian frame requires quite a few Caspian parts, that 1911 parts will not fit.

Before everyone starts telling me to go with an S_I, please don't. I know that's what everyone runs. I have a 6" STI. I'm just looking at what other options are available.

Thanks,

You might yell at Jim Joyce. He definately has experience with Para, both as Open and Limited guns and still makes some parts for them. I know he still has a Para Limited he keeps in his bag as a back up when he shoots Limited Division. His son-in-law shoots a Para Limited and a Para Open gun as well. I could be wrong but I think he just built a Caspian for someone.

Paul B.

Thanks,

You might yell at Jim Joyce. He definately has experience with Para, both as Open and Limited guns and still makes some parts for them. I know he still has a Para Limited he keeps in his bag as a back up when he shoots Limited Division. His son-in-law shoots a Para Limited and a Para Open gun as well. I could be wrong but I think he just built a Caspian for someone.

Paul B.

Thanks. I'll talk to him on Saturday (if the weather cooperates.)) Tim shoots a Para also.

I have a Caspian wide body as well and cant say enough good things about it. Mine was built by Craig Custom Guns about 10 years ago and has had many thousand rounds through it. Now that we have access to good mags I would deffinatly recommend it.

I have owned two Caspian Open guns. One built by EGW and the other built locally and refined by EGW. In the beginning the factory mags were ok. But they had to be tuned to work properly. After tuning these mags I shot my Caspian for many years. I am sorry more attention is not given to the magazines. If they did you would see more of them at matches. I still like their frames and parts.

I have owned three guns built by EGW-George Smith-in 1999/2000.

Two are .45 SS and the other a .38S open gun. All steel as you

are asking. Both .45's are still out there shooting, as I sold

them to friends. The .38S is being shot, still in open-with a new

BL. in Boston by the second owner. And O yes-George also made me a

.38S in SS for plate matches, I have lost track on that one.

As we speak all three of these have never had any problem with

the frame cracking or any other problems! That frame is well worth

its weight in gold-they are tough set ups! BTW the .38S had a new BL.

possibly due to the use of 3n37 over many thousands of rounds. A great

tribuate to a wonderful frame setup. Best of luck :cheers:

Some data for your consideration. I have a Para that started life in 1994 or so as a P-14. It later got an STI .40 top end and finally got an open top end.

P-14: 4342 rounds

P_STI: 9565 rounds

P_OPN: 14196 rounds

Total: 28,103 rounds

The P-14 is a steel frame and shows no sign of any cracking

I also have a stainless steel 1998 P-16 that I put 14117 rounds through and then gave it an open top end for 17686 rounds. The dustcover developed a crack that I stop drilled and shot for another 1348 rounds with no further damage. I did have the crack welded for the heck of it.

Later,

Chuck

Don't forget about the early forged Springfield frame, it accepts SV mag tubes and SV Tri-glide triggers easily. The only minus on the Caspian is the trigger, not any options but the OEM one. The frame can be modified to use other ambi safeties, like the King's and Caspians new ambi similar to the King's but with improvements. The Para will work but it doesn't have any advantages over the other two.

Rich

I know a number of shooters that say they prefer the Caspian grip. I think what holds them back in Open is lack of a good 170 mm high cap mag and they need to make the dust cover thicker for a single side optic mount.

On the trigger for the caspian... Egw used to make an extended trigger (I think they called it a E trigger?) Don't know if they still do. As far as the 170mm mag Jim Anglin will build/tune you a nice one.

Edited by caspian guy

I know a number of shooters that say they prefer the Caspian grip. I think what holds them back in Open is lack of a good 170 mm high cap mag and they need to make the dust cover thicker for a single side optic mount.

Caspian has a heavy cover option in the Hi-Cap frame.

Mags is not a problem 170 mags can be made out of two caspian mags or you can buy a

TZ 38 super 170 and contour the top of the mag to fit the frame , works nice.

Jim

Sailor

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to find this new "old" stock Enterprise Arms frame and had it built recently. I haven't had time to tweak the gun yet so I can't really say how it shoots yet. It's like a hybrid of a Caspian and a Para frame. I plan to use Para magz but haven't had the time to set it up yet. :)

Edited by ahtsay

I have a para that was built by cylinder and slide.

The only stock parts are the frame and slide which was accurailed. The slide was cut for a novak front.

I don't have any experience with a caspian but I prefer a heavy metal gun.

Lost count at 15k but no problems with the frame. I do however only shoot minor. Idpa

I would do it again if needed.

Who knows maybe it's time for me to try one of those plastic ones. :)