Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to reload a Stock II/III like a boss

Pneumatic die grinder. Carbide deburring bit. A few passes with a hand file. Poof!

...Instant production GM!

IMG_0315.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

I threw a few magazines at my gun from the next zipcode over, while blindfolded. They all went right in.

On a serious note? The loads where you crash into the frame do not go any better. You still have to hit your target.

The loads where you hit the opening, but weren't perfectly square and the magazines would bind up and jam as soon as the feed lips disappeared into the frame? Those go in, now.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Sweet work Evan, the wording of Appendix D4 22.4 seems a little confusing to me, did you read it first?  "The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the opening may be more than 1/4” greater than the corresponding dimension of a magazine. External flaring remains PROHIBITED."
The way I read it you're good, but it seems like the first sentence would make more sense if it read 'The longitudinal (front-to-back) dimension of the opening may be NO more than 1/4” greater than the corresponding dimension of a magazine.'

8 hours ago, B_RAD said:

You're gonna cerakote your S3?

Yes. The frame and slide in stainless, the controls and grips in black.

4 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

That's some pretty slick work. How long did the whole process end up taking?

Around 10 minutes for the initial shaping, then another 20 mins perhaps with a hand file and small sanding disk to smooth it out. As mentioned above, a carbide deburring bit in an air grinder removes metal very quickly.

If you're stuck with sanding drums and a Dremel or something similar? Probably an hour or two.

I've done mine but yours looks better. Mr Dremel needs to come back out. The issue I have is the sanding drum is too fat and you can't really contour the back side very well. Need some of those ice cream cone shaped carbide bits

Edited by waktasz

Y'all are like ARE demons possessed!  I love it.  Thanks for taking the time to share pics and showing how its done.

I can totally see a totally niche market and license to print money for machinists who can offer this service.
Kind of like Grams and his barrel reaming service!

Edited by Sniperboy

21 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I love it but I'm not so sure my balls are big enough to do this. 

Pay for my FFL so that people can ship me frames, and I'll gladly do yours for free? :P 

14 minutes ago, EngineerEli said:

Interesting... I for some reason always though you couldn't do that in production, but if you got approval, you have me considering doing the same myself....

Troy specifically stated opening the magwell front to rear was good to go, and that the Sevigny Speedway was legal.

1) This is the exact equivalent to a sevigny speedway for a metal frame. Just go Google what that Glock modification looks like and you'll see.

2) Opening the magwell front to rear was specifically OK'd. Since there's not really any need to do so side-to-side and all of the grinding is in front of and behind the opening, that works out great for us.

To piggy back what Memphis said / regarding a different production gun though.

My question: 

The rules are not clear if internal modification to the magazine well are legal, ie blending hard edges, easing the edges, etc.  Attached is a photo of the extreme, but can you clarify if this would be legal? (photo omitted here)

The attached photo does not alter the exterior profile, nor is it externally flared

Troys Response:

Internal smoothing and rounding is OK.  As long as you don't alter the profile, or flare the outside of the magazine well, you're good to go.

The confusing thing has been "externally flared" used in several of these talks.

I was worried that widening the mouth of the magwell was external flaring. Since... well... you're doing it to an outside surface of the gun.

What is ACTUALLY considered "external flaring" is something like heating up the sides of the gun and bending them outward to form a magwell out of a previously flat frame - actually turning the bottom of the gun into a funnel shape. The profile of the gun must be unchanged.

I sent DNROI a link to this topic in SIG forum showing similar modifications to what we're doing. He checked it and said that this was completely okay: