Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Defining flat, dot movement

fxdc

My 3n38 load has dot movement pretty straight up and down.... and with a good grip I can keep the dot form center of the C- more to about 80% of the remaining window. 

It is within the glass , but what is your view on this subject?

Thanks for any help

This ^^^^^.  With an open gun I no longer own, I tried for flat without using barrel ports.  At 188PF it shot flat.  I mean dead flat.  However, it was horribly noisy and extremely violent.  I feared for the longevity of the gun, so I never tried that experiment again.

My main gun runs best at 172-173PF with a 9 lb. recoil spring.  I don't know if the dot leaves the glass or not.  I do know that with the proper grip, the dot returns immediately.   That's what I'm looking for.  Now if I could just learn to do that with my weak hand, I'd be happy.

16 minutes ago, zzt said:

if I could just learn to do that with my weak hand, I'd be happy.

Ain't that the truth! But weak hand shooting sure is a great way to work on grip strength.

OP: If the dot returns from where it came, I'm happy.

Zzt 

Thanks guess I've read enuff that without popple holes flat is near impossible. 

I was hoping for near flat without them.

Keep thoughts coming guys!

I m loading 8.8 of 3n38 with a 124gr PD JHP at 1.175oal PF is 173 with a 13lb spring..maybe a 9.0 or 9.2 and a 12lb or an 11lb spring will be better.

This is the gun I am using.

20180318_090558.jpg

I truly flat gun is really hard to shoot fast.  We have had designs that had dot dip the combinations were so efficient.  
You want consistent and repeatable dot movement.  As long as it does the same thing every time ( within reason) you can shoot the gun faster.  

5 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Forget flat, get consistent and repeatable. If the load is accurate, makes pf, and is reliable. Go shoot. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot then repeat

That's the secret sauce

Jack, one of the guys I occasionally shoot with shot for the Leupold team.  We ran a modified M&P 5" with a custom comp, brass magwell and a tungsten guide rod.  In his hands the gun did not move.  It was amazing to watch.  BTW, he did shoot quickly.  He is now on the Ruger team, so it will be interesting to see what he ends up shooting.  BTW, he shot 124gr bullets over HS-6.

Zzt

I will change out my aluminum magwell for a Taylor freelance black brass when they get back in stock. 

Some people can make anything look flat.

Returning back to the game and pushing super senior..... I NEEDS ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!

LOL

i kinda have a theory but in the end it doesnt mean crap if you watch the top guys run. Flat shooting gun seem more violent in the hand, soft shooting guns seem to have more flip/dot movement. For me, i want flat shooting because if I see the dot pulling off or making a squirrely move as I pull the trigger, hit that shit again....

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, SCTaylor said:

Forget flat, get consistent and repeatable. If the load is accurate, makes pf, and is reliable. Go shoot. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly this!!!

Personally I think it is a timing and a slide return to battery relationship.

Every slo mo video I take shows the muzzle rise when the slide hits the rear position. Bullet is done gone and gas is over. Then how the gun reacts to the return is the next hit. Too much spring and I get a dip and a dot wiggle to settle it out.

In my opinion, the comp bleeds off the gas to slow the slide speed, then we lighten the slide to take out some of the force to the hit at both ends of the travel. We then respring it to get some of the speed back, but now we can use a lighter spring since we do not have the mass. Force is mass times acceleration.

Take an assortment of springs to the range and see what they do.