Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

115? 124? 147? JHP?

rbuck

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In OPEN, there's no advantage to the 147's   .

Most common is the 124's because they're easier to load without the powder

spilling out of the case.  The 115's take More Powder to make Major - so

the powder doesn't leave a Lot of Room for the bullet.

BUT, some people really love the 115's (Or 121's as a compromise) - 

I've been shooting 124's for nine years - but thinking of going back to 115's

when I run out of my Pre-Election horde of 124's    :) 

If you're not sure, I'd say start with a real good supply of PD JHP's 124's

and see if you want to stay with them after you get some experience    :) 

Hello: Stick with 115's. Use a good powder like HS-6 or Silhouette. If you go to 121's or 124's try some Winchester Auto comp and HS-6. I am testing some 121 Montana Golds right now with HS-6. Not sure if they are any better than my 115 load. Thanks, Eric

I go for consistency.  I want the dot to track straight up and down with no squirming, and return to the dame place.  I pick the powder and bullet combination that makes that happen.  I cannot figure out why that is.  For example, with one particular bullet loaded to 172PF, HS-6 produces the least felt recoil and slightly less muzzle rise.  However the dot squirms.  Using WAC or Silhouette, it tracks straight.  

BTW, I would not bother trying the 147 unless you are trying to make Major without the excessive pressure.

Edited by zzt

i have tried both the 124 and 115 precision deltas.  I personally like the 115 with HS 6 and also AA#7.  Both will get you good results and what I like is that the gun returns back to its original state fast so you can shoot your follow up shot.  The only problem with AA#7 is that is very dirty.  You will probably be needing to clean your gun more often.  So the way I can explain it for both bullets is that the 124 might be a little softer on the hand but might have a little more muzzle rise.  The 115 feel a little more aggressive on the hand but with the amount of powder that I am putting in, it makes the gun shoot flatter and some back to its original state quicker. 

20 hours ago, ar15rick said:

i have tried both the 124 and 115 precision deltas.  I personally like the 115 with HS 6 and also AA#7.  Both will get you good results and what I like is that the gun returns back to its original state fast so you can shoot your follow up shot.  The only problem with AA#7 is that is very dirty.  You will probably be needing to clean your gun more often.  So the way I can explain it for both bullets is that the 124 might be a little softer on the hand but might have a little more muzzle rise.  The 115 feel a little more aggressive on the hand but with the amount of powder that I am putting in, it makes the gun shoot flatter and some back to its original state quicker. 

What  is your aa7 load?

Edited by AWLAZS

18 minutes ago, AWLAZS said:

Was you aa7 load?

11.3 grains of aa#7. Very flat but kinda violent on the hand. I liked it a lot.  Now that I am shooting an Akai V8 stroked, I switched over to 9.7 of HS6 with 115gr precision delta jhp.  It's even flatter than what I used with aa#7 and isn't as violent in the hand. I seriously think it's because of the gun and how it works. My old gun was an sti Frankenstein with a Brazos Thunder comp 2 with no popple holes. 

I use HS-6 now instead of Autocomp with 115's.  The gun is a slightly modified Match Master.

The AC load was flatter, but extremely violent.  I switched HS-6 (9.0 w/115 MG), and it calmed it down.  It's not as flat, but the dot tracks consistently. 

Edited by cferree
revision

1 hour ago, cferree said:

I use HS-6 now instead of Autocomp with 115's.  

The AC load was flatter, but extremely violent. 

I started with 9 gr HS6 and 115's 10 years ago - loved it,

but used to throw powder during the reloading cycle.

Switched to WAC and 124's, but the HS6 / 115 load was

nicer to shoot   :) 

On 8/9/2017 at 5:42 PM, rbuck said:

I cant decide if i want 115g JHP again or if i want 124g to try out. The only problem with going 147g JHP are that they are super expensive!

Haven't we already had this conversation? 115s. There are tinkerers and there are shooters. Don't be a tinkerer. Get something that works, and don't mess around trying to find the holy grail. Just load a bunch of them and practice practice practice. 

I prefer precision delta 124s. Little cheaper than Montana Gold but good bullets. I use them for my production load as well. Same powder - CFE Pistol. Just change powder amount and seating depth. Limited variables.

58 minutes ago, Kimber76 said:

Why JHPs over FMJ round nose when loading for 9mm major? I'm going to be switching to open soon and was curious what the advantage is over FMJs.

Rumor has it that JHP are more accurate than FMJ. I don't know because I have never shot FMJ out of my open gun so I can't really tell you but I just went off of what the rumor stated. 

Edited by ar15rick

24 minutes ago, ar15rick said:

Rumor has it that JHP are more accurate than FMJ. I don't know because I have never shot FMJ out of my open gun so I can't really tell you but I just went off of what the rumor stated. 

Ok let's assume that that is true. My question now would be is it because of the higher velocity of 9mm major that the JHP is more stable? If not than why is everyone not loading JHP across all divisions? Just a thought. 

There are multiple reasons for JHP. Comp leading is the biggest, the exposed lead base of the FMJs will cause the comp to lead more than the fully encapsulated bases of a JHP or CMJ. Accuracy is a minor added benefit for JHPs, as they are generally the most accurate bullets built. The reason they aren't used by all shooters across all divisions is simple: shooters are cheap. 

33 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

There are multiple reasons for JHP. Comp leading is the biggest, the exposed lead base of the FMJs will cause the comp to lead more than the fully encapsulated bases of a JHP or CMJ. Accuracy is a minor added benefit for JHPs, as they are generally the most accurate bullets built. The reason they aren't used by all shooters across all divisions is simple: shooters are cheap. 

Thank you ?

Amen to that.   Digging lead out of a comp is a PITA.  If for any reason you cannot use JHPs in your Open gun, try TMJ or plated.

I can't make a blanket statement about JHP accuracy.  I think it may depend on the caliber and the gun.  For instance, 180gr Nosler JHPs are the most accurate in my bullseye gun.  I have two 40sw guns that prefer Rainier 155gr plated over MG 155 JHPs, and by an appreciable margin.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, MrPostman said:

JHPs have more bearing surface than FMJs. Bearing surface = part that touches rifiling. Which is the reason why they are considered more accurate.

Also, there is a little more weight in the base which gives it more stability in flight.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, Gooldylocks said:

I prefer the term, "frugal", thank you...  :rolleyes:  

I prefer the term, "frugal", thank you...  :rolleyes:  
Frugal or not, allowing your equipment to cost you precious points or places at a match is more expensive than the extra cost of the bullets. Match fee 200, plane ticket 300, Hotel 80 per night...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hello, I've settled on JHP 121 gr. several years ago.  To me, they seem to fit nicely in the middle, between the 115 and 124 with the JHP design being very accurate and the cleanest for the comps.