Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wish list of Rule changes

dskinsler83

How are you supposed to shoot this COF with a static fault line? You can get T1 and T2 is doable. But how about T3?

Strong hand only.

Actually, in IDPA a LOT of times shooting SO or WO is much faster than the silly shuffle. I don't want to get into the whole if you are shuffling slowly around a corner, you have zero jump on the bad guy, but watching shooters who pie painfully slow around corners just makes me wonder "why"?

Stowing the empty mag with one in the pipe makes about as much sense also, but we do it because most everyone would speed load if we didn't have the rule.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do away with ssr and esr as separate divisions, www revolver shooters are a small enough group already. Sucks that I went from ssr master to ESR unclassified even though I'm still shooting the same gun.

Reloads with retention shouldn't be required for revolvers, ever try getting a partial moon clip back into a cylinder?

Reload behind cover, I understand the concept, but there have been several courses of fire, that by design leave a revolver out in the open and we have to move several feet before gettingto cover and being able to start a reload. If it's a "tactical" game then there should not be rules in place that force you to hang out with an empty gun, kinda silly :)

Yup, what he said

The current game the way we currently shoot it only needs to be firmed up with a well written rule book and better implementation from club to club. The rules themselves don't need to be changed. If some of you guys think there will be radical rule changes, stop kidding yourself. There won't be.

Think clearly now Jim.

When you go to Wal Mart you're not planning on shooting 150 rounds, or even one round. You might, however kneel down to reach a box of bran flakes in the back of the bottom row.

Shooting without hearing protection is immediately dangerous. Kneeling without kneepads is extremely common.

Jim might kneel down, but I sure as hell wouldn't. I would bend over, or squat, or do something else that didn't require my knees to touch the ground. Lots of people simply can't kneel without significant pain. I'm just arguing with your logic, I personally don't really care too much about that in IDPA as far as the rules go. In a match, I can fake it, or put my jacket down, or ask for accomodation for my 'disability'. Sure, the guys with fat well-padded knees have a slight advantage on me there.

I agree with Steve, if we get a better rule book for the present rules, we will be doing well.

We will not get a bunch of policy changes that affect the nature of the game, things people propose to promote their ideas on tactics or approaches that will let them win.

I hope we get True Vickers Count, though.

My bender and squatter are about as bad as my knees, a low position to either shoot or retrieve merchandise is a tedious process any way I go about it.

The current game the way we currently shoot it only needs to be firmed up with a well written rule book and better implementation from club to club. The rules themselves don't need to be changed. If some of you guys think there will be radical rule changes, stop kidding yourself. There won't be.

Exactly! Wonderfully put.

other night,watched Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn on a show and several times they mentioned how they wished IDPA would [should have]score targets as 1 second for each point down ..i just sent some COF's over to an A.C. to check for a state match and he also said,for the last couple local IDPA matchs he figured scores both ways and with the 1.0 second per point scores it placed several shooters further down on how they placed compared with the .50 second per point score...

The original scoring was .3 sec/point and was almost immediately increased to .5 sec/point.

Yes, if you change the rules it will change the rankings. There are a lot of proposals that I suspect are playing to the strength of the proposer.

Actually it would help me to increase the accuracy emphasis as I am a slow but steady shooter. Well, if you don't count the NT that ran out in front of me last week.

one more rule change on power factor. I'd like to see a sliding scale based on barrel length. Right now, guys carrying smaller guns are at a disadvantage since they have to run hotter loads to make minimum pf. This sort of discourages the use of more practical carry equipment.

I know in theory the rules say the load only has to make pf in the longest barrel gun in that class (or something like that), but who really wants to shoot someone else's reloads in their gun to see if it makes pf? not me.

How are you supposed to shoot this COF with a static fault line? You can get T1 and T2 is doable. But how about T3?

Strong hand only.

Yeah but if you stuck your arm way out around that corner to get T3 someone might grab your hand, hip throw you and take your gun. So while it'll work, it won't work. We're back to bang bang shuffle shuffle bang bang. :D

Strong hand only.

Yeah but if you stuck your arm way out around that corner to get T3 someone might grab your hand, hip throw you and take your gun. So while it'll work, it won't work. We're back to bang bang shuffle shuffle bang bang. :D

Are we talking about an IDPA match? I've trained with real instructors and they don't pretend a wall will protect you if you shuffle really slowly around it letting bad guys know where you are and giving them enough time to aim real good at you. :sight:

IDPA is about who shoots a stage fastest with the down points included using their prescribed requirements, so anything beyond that is just making up stuff. If you do something that makes you feel "tacticool" then that is your option also. :D

Strong hand only.

IDPA is about who shoots a stage fastest with the down points included using their prescribed requirements, so anything beyond that is just making up stuff. If you do something that makes you feel "tacticool" then that is your option also. :D

For now "prescribed requirements" means bang bang shuffle shuffle bang bang. :D

Strong hand only.

Are we talking about an IDPA match? I've trained with real instructors and they don't pretend a wall will protect you if you shuffle really slowly around it letting bad guys know where you are and giving them enough time to aim real good at you. :sight:

Great point, some "tactical whactical" puts some very slow deliberate down zeros, he wins stage, another shooter goes down 1 up in the shoulder area with a 9MM at "minor" and a miss for 3 extra seconds, does it a tad faster, comes in ok on stage, I put 2 down 3's of the 230 grain variety in the target in 1/10th the time and get an 8 second target, and place at the bottom, who really did well? It's a game boys and girls, nothing "real" about it

Todd Green posted the rules for 'Kinda Sorta Tactical Game' on his forum at http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2330-KSTG There are a number of ideas in there that might be good to bring to IDPA. The one that jumped out based on some discussion here is his reloading rule:

Reload Under Fire: If a competitor is exposed to any Threat target which

has not been neutralized, he will be assessed a Procedural penalty for

performing any type of reload unless his weapon is empty (no round

chambered). This penalty applies if any part of the reload from beginning

(ejecting magazine or opening cylinder) to end (round chambered or

cylinder closed) is performed when the gun is not empty. There are no

other limitations on when or how competitors may reload their pistols

during a stage of fire

I think I like this, what do others think of it?

So let me get this right. Some of the implications of this wording are:

--you can emergency reload in the open,

--that you can shoot to slide lock behind cover and then leave cover with an empty gun and reload while on the move?

Is that right? Or maybe there are other rules that work in concert with this one.

kr

Strong hand only.

For now "prescribed requirements" means bang bang shuffle shuffle bang bang. :D

Or if you want to be fast, strong hand or learn to lean ;)