Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is the XD/XDM unpopular?

Avezorak

I DO NOT want to start a controversy. With that said Im just curious why YOU picked another type of tupperware. Ive done the research, Ive shot most of whats available and I know what I like.

Im not looking to convince anyone to change anything. Im curious what your reasons were for choosing the XDM over everything else or vice versa.

My reason was simple. My XDM .40 fits me well and I shoot it well. I love the way it feels and the way it points. Glocks grip angle throws me and I dont really like the MP trigger though it feels pretty good in my hand. They all run...

So chime in, i wanna hear what you have to say...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you found a good choice for you. Go for it. Who cares what others like?

My reason was simple. My XDM .40 fits me well and I shoot it well. I love the way it feels and the way it points. Glocks grip angle throws me and I dont really like the MP trigger though it feels pretty good in my hand. They all run...

The XD was a great gun when it was the $250 HS2000, for what they are charging for them now there are better guns to choose, There have been some improvements but most of these were geared towards the larger calibers Americans felt like they must have. The gun also came out during the full capacity magazine ban days. Shooters were buying 9mm's with available pre 1994 full capacity magazines. For quite some time and maybe it still is, Springfield would not give anyone but a Springfield dealer any parts, this doesnt help your gun become popular with competitive shooters. I have never heard any complaints about the XD's reliability and accuracy in stock form, but it has a very high bore axis, for sports where speed is important there are simply better tools for the job.

Hey, I'm a huge XD fan! When I'm not shooting my revos, I really enjoy shooting Production. Having owned and used most of the popular options at various times (including a Glock 34 and a custom CZ SP-01), I find the 5" XD-9 is my favorite Production gun by far. I own both a Springfield Custom Shop conversion and a Canyon Creek custom job, and both of them shoot and handle great. I also own a Springfield Custom Shop XDM-40 set up for Limited. My main house gun is a Springfield Custom Shop XD-45 with night sights, and I have three or four other XDs in service as defense pistols.

XDs and XDMs are great guns!

I switched from an XD to Glock as my carry gun for a couple reasons. I do like how the grip feels (on my 21SF-the regular large sized frames dont fit my hands well, butthe SF models fit nicely) a litle better. The distance from my grip the center of the bore is a little smaller as well on the Glock helping me control recoil better, less weight higher up. The glock is a tad simpler to strip down and clean.

That being said, i still have an XD 45c in the glovebox of my car.

Pick one and practice and you should be just fine.

(or get a 1911 :cheers: )

I started out in production with a xdm-9 loved the grip angle and the way it felt but the bore axis was way to high for me personally so I bought a glock 34 and like shooting it but just recently picked up a cz shadow custom and man this is the gun for me, it feels like Iam cheating having a da/sa in production lol.

So I shoot an XD-9 Tactical in ESP and love the pistol-had it modified by Springer Precision. So what exactly is the problem with the "bore axis" of an XD/XDM? Please provide the explanation in layman's terms. Does the Springfield 1911 have the same problem?

I would not call them unpopular. I would just call other guns extremely popular.

I agree...Mainly because the Glock has had much more exposure and for much longer...Look at all the aftermarket parts for Glocks....XD'S & XDM'S will eventually catch up in that respect. As for the bore axis debate, they may have a higher bore axis than the Glock, but is it really all that much higher? And, is it higher than the 1911/2011? I ask, because I want to know....

If you actually think the XD is unpopular, you might want to visit our shop...

My neighbor is the Rep for Springfield in the West and from their sales numbers, they are doing pretty well.

Maybe I phrased that wrong... I am just wondering why folks picked what they picked. I know Glocks been out forever, I had never heard of the bore axis issue, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Thanks for posting yall...

I had an XD-9 Tactical that I was shooting in production, and I really liked it. It was even better with a Powder River Precision trigger job. I thought it was great..... except I am left handed and I found the slide release to be unfriendly for left handed shooters. Not a big deal for USPSA, but for me it became an issue in IDPA where I shot the gun to slide lock more often. I would probably still be using it if it wasn't for that slide release.

This was an issue for me, and may not be an issue for everyone else. That is the reason I don't shoot an XD anymore.

Hello, My name is Steve and like XDs.blush.gif

I have 2, carry one, use one for production and alternate with one in IDPA with a 40 SS.

My problem with IDPA is simply that it is classified ESP. My 40 SS is in the same class. Go figure. You get over it after awhile but it doesn't make too much sense.

Heavier slide/high bore axis = more muzzle flip according to the detractors. Still, lots of folks shoot them in USPSA/IDPA and do REALLY well. So it's just a matter of preference.

If you actually think the XD is unpopular, you might want to visit our shop...

My neighbor is the Rep for Springfield in the West and from their sales numbers, they are doing pretty well.

yeah i would also tend to agree with this, i see quite a few people shooting XD/XDms i mean correct me if im wrong but it seems like one of the big 3 names for plastic pistols

glock/M&p/XD ??

i see these 3 the most

Edited by Field

I have found the high bore axis statement from some folks interesting so I measured from the center of the bore to where the grip met my hand on my Glock, my XD and my 1911 SS. The Glock had the lowest distance, about .10" shorter than the XD. But my 1911 was .20" higher than the XD. From my perspective (and I mainly shoot SS), a gun with an external hammer is always going to have a higher bore axis than a striker fired system. YMMV.

I'm not sure about the XDM but it's not just the height, but the amount of weight located above the bore axis. I used to have an XD subcompact and for a "small" gun it sure had a big, blocky slide, it felt top heavy compared to some of my other guns.

MR. 10MM the cz has a lower bore axis than a glock and it has a external hammer. I just think the high bore axis statements are just people with personal preferences like myself. I like the XD I just prefer something with a lower bore axis, but I do shoot production with a G34 and a CZ shadow. The XD line of guns are great just different strokes for different folks. :cheers:

The bore axis debate could more likely be called the heavy slide vs light slide debate. If the bore axis is only .10 higher in an XD than a Glock, then that really isn't much difference, and probably negligible when talking about recoil. However, the slide weight would make a big difference in recoil.

Maybe Brian could talk to TGO and tell him to tell Springfield to trim some fat off the slide in the XD series....

Edited by GrumpyOne

Like FiliShooter said its not really the bore axis height its the weight up top, the XDM to some people feel that they are top heavy. I personally dont think they are unpopular and think they are very popular. Just not my cup of tea for USPSA.

I agree with the extra slide weight being the larger issue with the XD, it seems to be quite heavy.

Now I need to borrow a CZ and measure it as well. I have heard the claims of its low bore axis, but wonder if it is an optical illusion due to the reverse rail system it uses. Not that it matters, I would love to get one of CZ's tactical series no matter what the outcome. :)

Cheers!