Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended mag catch inadvertent release?

attakmint

On Saturday I had one of those stages from hell.  Drew, fired my first shot, and my magazine falls out of my pistol.  And it continued the rest of the stage - I had to pick my last magazine off of the ground several times, and ran out of ammo before the last two targets were engaged.  I had put a new Limcat extended mag release on my gun, and it was clearly getting actuated after recoil.  After the stage, I removed the mag catch from my pistol and finished the match without any issues other than improperly seating one magazine.

I had purchased the extended mag release because my original one, a round Dawson release, fell off at the match the week before.  I hadn't had time to test out my gear before the match this past Saturday.  I threw an empty magazine in and everything seemed good.

Today testing the paddle out, I can find that with a near-full magazine, if I shift my hands just so I can release the magazine.  Should I switch back the Dawson-style round release, or is there an extended paddle that works?  I don't have huge hands - just under 8.5" circumference and I wear M/size 7 gloves.

I can't recommend a specific release, but I had the same problem with the extended release on my CZ TS. It would never happen in practise, but in matches (especially classifiers) I slap the gun around more - I guess due to adrenalin. I ended up dremeling the extended release to reduce its overall length and the problem vanished.

I tried a paddle release. I had lots of issues with unintended activation. I have big hands and reach wasn't the issue. I just needed a teensy amount of length to not have to shift my grip when using it. Swapped the paddle for one of the little round extension buttons and it works great.

1 hour ago, Jake Di Vita said:

I put a big gob of JB Weld underneath my extended mag release and have never had a problem with it. Got the idea from Tomasie years ago. 

Can't quite picture it - what does the JB Weld do for you?

yep, I have a drilled and tapped mag catch. put on the wilson combat wedge that I had used with success on my 1911. same problem, first stage, popped out a mag. now I run either the ed brown extended button (round) or the dawson low pro button. Both are a little larger than a  non drilled mag catch but not so large that the web of my support hand can activate it. 

I have a paddle like that, did the 5 reload 5 classifier and reloaded 4 times instead if the required 2 due to inadvertently releasing early.  I have since clocked the wedge to about 1230 to 1 and no longer have the issue.  I like the job weld idea, but you can clock it and get the same results.  I can still reach it without shifting my grip.

2 minutes ago, andrewtac said:

I have a paddle like that, did the 5 reload 5 classifier and reloaded 4 times instead if the required 2 due to inadvertently releasing early.  I have since clocked the wedge to about 1230 to 1 and no longer have the issue.  I like the job weld idea, but you can clock it and get the same results.  I can still reach it without shifting my grip.

Seems like if I clock it there it's nestled in the web between my thumb and forefinger of my left hand.  It's also in the way of any weak hand shooting I'd do.  The paddle rides directly under the knuckle when I grip it with my left hand. Do you find it interferes with your weak hand only strings?

I guess that's one way to keep myself from overinserting my trigger finger...

I have small hands and need the STI paddle, as pictured above, to drop my mags without shifting the pistol.  What I found over time is that the position of the paddle comes into play also when accidently dropping mags.  I have found that it needs to be angled more upward toward the safety and then working with it at the range to determine the absolute correct position.  Best of luck with this and by the way shooting weak hand (left hand) I still occasionally will drop a mag :)

i developed this problem out of the blue this season.  this was with an Ed Brown release + button.   happened once at an area match, i installed an extra power mag release spring thinking it might have been incidental contact and a weak(er) spring, but it still happened 3-4 times at a club match.  took the button off at the local match and finished the day.    it's definitely in my mechanics and grip.  gave a brazos cyclone button a try (much lower profile than the ed brown button) and it fixed the issue.  it's just a bit longer reach for me, but completely manageable at speed.

I had the same problem come to find out it was a week magazine release spring haven't use this gun in a match before replaced it with that extra power magazine catch spring took care of the problem.

I had this happen once with the big fat wilson combat paddle. I own a grinder tho, so I just made it smaller, particularly the bottom part, so it more resembled the profile of the ed brown button, but just comes back further. No more problems. Oh, I also put in a normal strength spring. I cut too many coils of the one I was lightening.

I tried a number of releases. Even the fairly low STI extended release just wasn't right. I decided to call it quits on spending money to find the right product and just made my own. No matter how tight my grip is I cannot accidentally hit the mag release. When the mag release is pressed it hits the grip which prevents over pressing the release. The surface of this release sits very low, it finishes where the material for the STI release starts.

The only other product I would try is one of Dawsons Mo Lo Pro buttons that screw directly into the mag release button and then get shaped to your needs.

IMG_7822s.jpg

IMG_7823s.jpg

IMG_7824s.jpg

IMG_7825s.jpg

IMG_7816s.jpg

On 10 September 2016 at 8:32 PM, niroth81 said:

I tried a number of releases. Even the fairly low STI extended release just wasn't right. I decided to call it quits on spending money to find the right product and just made my own. No matter how tight my grip is I cannot accidentally hit the mag release. When the mag release is pressed it hits the grip which prevents over pressing the release. The surface of this release sits very low, it finishes where the material for the STI release starts.

The only other product I would try is one of Dawsons Mo Lo Pro buttons that screw directly into the mag release button and then get shaped to your needs.

IMG_7822s.jpg

IMG_7823s.jpg

IMG_7824s.jpg

IMG_7825s.jpg

IMG_7816s.jpg

I run the Dawson Lo pro (not the wider mo Lo pro) on an extended drilled and tapped release. I had the same issue with a paddle. 

Off topic but I see you have a new asi 2011 with his grip, trigger etc. I'd love to see some more pics and what you think of it. Pm me if you like. Also keen to know how you like the double tap shield safety. 

You shooting at wodonga next week? If so I'll see you there. :)

might buy one of your paddles if you have spares? 4-40?

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/09/2016 at 11:46 AM, BeerBaron said:

I run the Dawson Lo pro (not the wider mo Lo pro) on an extended drilled and tapped release. I had the same issue with a paddle. 

Off topic but I see you have a new asi 2011 with his grip, trigger etc. I'd love to see some more pics and what you think of it. Pm me if you like. Also keen to know how you like the double tap shield safety. 

You shooting at wodonga next week? If so I'll see you there. :)

might buy one of your paddles if you have spares? 4-40?

Sorry I missed you Rich. Should have come and harrased me for a look at it. Very happy with the ASI gun. I've designed a custom curved trigger insert which I'll be getting made up just to try. Love the safety, only issue is it digs into my trigger finger. I've trimmed a fair whack of meat off the right side safety and I'll probably shape it just a little more, other than that it's perfect!

Let me know if you still want a mag release paddle. I still have a couple left. Yeah they are 4-40, I can supply the screw.

• 4 months later...

I had this happen to me twice at a match 2 weeks ago, then 3 times today when I was running the gun hard during a 4 Aces drill.  I may try to angle it up a little and see what happens.  I may also try the heavy spring.

Thanks for the ideas guys. 

• 1 year later...