Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throwing magazine

EEH

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rock idea got me thinking....

Usain Bolt weighs 1 450 642 grains and travels at 40,245 feet per second, giving him a power factor of 58 642. I guess he makes major with a bit of a margin for chrono variations

In fact, i bet my 87 year old grandmother can make major. Doesn't seem so impressive now

Sent by Jedi mind control

He runs 40,245 fps?

Frustration gets the better of all of us. The RO's job is to ensure everyone's safety AND be a "fixture". The last thing a match needs is for an RO (and his ego) to get in the way and cause distractions for the competitors.

Frustration gets the better of all of us. The RO's job is to ensure everyone's safety AND be a "fixture". The last thing a match needs is for an RO (and his ego) to get in the way and cause distractions for the competitors.

Fixture? That's not in the RO creed. Why is it always ego if an RO treats an infraction harshly?

What if he threw a mag and we all just laughed it off. Then he threw his belt when he left the safe area and we found that funny too. Then he got pissed and shot somebody in the club house. When the cops ask,"so were there any red flags"?.

Uhhh...........

Of course this is hypothetical but not impossible which is why if it did happen on my stage I would at least let the RM know it happened. It might be the first incident or the RM might say, hmm, that's the third time today.

Awright, my bad... fixture was a little harsh ;) I guess my point was, the RO straddles a fine line between maintaining control of the stage versus taking control of a stage and kind of getting in the way. The same for any professional referee who needs to balance keeping the game under control and letting the competitors compete.

I will say most RO's i've had at larger matches do a very good job.

The rock idea got me thinking....

Usain Bolt weighs 1 450 642 grains and travels at 40,245 feet per second, giving him a power factor of 58 642. I guess he makes major with a bit of a margin for chrono variations

In fact, i bet my 87 year old grandmother can make major. Doesn't seem so impressive now

He runs 40,245 fps?

I think he meant 40.245fps (ie forty point two four five feet per second). The calc is correct, it's still 58,381 PF... lol definitely Major +.

In South Africa (and many other non-US places) decimals after the number are separated by a comma. Thousands are separated by spaces (not commas). We also don't believe in feet and inches - but there you go.

I'd pay good money to see someone run more than 40 000 fps.....

You've never seen me when someone shows up at the range with krispy kremes!
Ouch. I just pulled a stitch laughing so hard! :)

You've never seen me when someone shows up at the range with krispy kremes!
Ouch. I just pulled a stitch laughing so hard! :)

Yup, lost my coffee on that one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The bottom line, of course, is safety. Followed by sportsmanship.

Demonstrations of temper while handling a gun aren't a good thing from either perspective. By temper I don't mean brief frustration, I mean anger accompanied by adrenaline and impairment of judgment, as viewed through their behavior.

ROs we'd want to consider what was happening during the specific event. Grumbling, brief expletives, etc. are pretty normal and are probably okay, but we'd want to think harder about someone who is loudly cursing, ranting, and throwing equipment, if he's looking more like getting out of control.

(Angrily slamming a shotgun into a trash can (cleared or not) might mean it's time to go home and cool down, for instance. That one goes beyond just "frustration".

Just like in a self defense shooting, what was the shooters frame of mind? If it was a local match, I would ask the guy if he had a clock so he could run himself for the second string. If it was a Level 2, I would call for the match director and ask for a ruling, but I would not continue as the RO. We once had a guy beat a shotgun to pieces on a big rock at a local 3 gun. We took his gate key and banned him from the private club for life.

At the Single Stack/Revolver Nationals I should have issued an unsportsmanlike like conduct during the revolver match. Against my better judgement I didn't. The only reason was I didn't want to DQ the same shooter two days in a row. I took one for the team but not again.

Well, we know somebody who's been DQ'D from 4 majors in the last couple of years, all for safety issues. Doesn't seem to be learning.

I think it's in the best interest of all to DQ those who need to be DQd, and hope they'll figure it out.

Once threw a mag almost over a berm.

Not on purpose, missed a reload, and it went sailing....

Also saw a top shooter throw a mag at a pressure plate at an activator at Area 4 years ago. On purpose, to activate it.

So not cut and dry.... but if done in anger or frustration, certainly deserves some "counseling".

• 3 weeks later...

At the Single Stack/Revolver Nationals I should have issued an unsportsmanlike like conduct during the revolver match. Against my better judgement I didn't. The only reason was I didn't want to DQ the same shooter two days in a row. I took one for the team but not again.

I can understand your thinking on it but the guy shouldn't get a pass because he DQ'd the day before.

I can understand your thinking on it but the guy shouldn't get a pass because he DQ'd the day before.

I had to make a decision. I can live with it, this time.

• 2 weeks later...

While giving the first of five Shooter's Briefing at a Level 2 match last year, I announced very clearly:

"Maybe I'm getting old and intolerant, but I'm sick and tired of competitors abusing ROs for their own faults. Displays of frustration, with firearms in the vicinity, will NOT be tolerated. If you point your finger in an ROs face and loudly state your opinion with colorful language, or if you throw a tantrum and behave like a spoiled toddler, expect to be Disqualified from this event for Unsportsmanlike Conduct, and no refund will be given. Treat our volunteers as you wish to be treated".

I said this 5 times as part of the briefing for the five various competitors start times (half-day format). Most people nodded their heads in agreement, with supportive gestures. I suppose they've worked as ROs before. The few that looked at me like I had two heads, I don't care for.

This will be an integral part of my Competitor Briefings from now own. If the MD disagrees, he is of course free to recruit another person to serve as RM.

Saw a guy in a temper throw a magazine into the rocks after a bad stage. He was looking for it at the next match but did not find it.

Another threw a malfunctioning magazine into the brush, but it was well after the stage. He had cooled off and just wanted to get rid of the clunker.