Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" AR Barrels, Ready.... GO!

GregSmith

I'm looking for a Good, Better, Best for my wife's first AR build. She definitely wants 16", would want it lighter rather than heavier and isn't as much of a gear whore as I am so probably doesn't want to break the bank. But, I would like to give her the entire range of barrels and let her choose.

Feel free to put them in categories, add input, rank them, take out some, add others. The more input the better. Here's what I have so far:

Bartlein, Lilja, Krieger, Proof, Shilen, JP, Noveske, Nordic Components, Criterion, Black Hole Weaponry, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, Wilson Combat, Rainier Arms... Also is there a Wilson? Not Wilson Combat, just Wilson?

I know that between there are probably OEM manufacturers making barrels for multiple companies, so the real list might be shorter. But I appreciate your input!

Thanks!

Greg

Don't forget the Stretch16, it's definitely my favorite barrel thus far. I don't have many rounds through it yet, but I'm quite pleased with the Faxon Gunner barrel I have too, they seem like an outstanding value, you get a lot of barrel for the money. I used the Gunner for a build for my oldest son so weight was a concern, then it turned out my wife really preferred the balance over any standard profile barreled AR she's ever held.

Edited by TonytheTiger

I couldn't afford the Stretch 16 so I went with the Odin Works 16" intermediate gas length and adjustable gas block with a lightened BCG and SJC Titan comp and I enjoy shooting it. It's not the tack driver my 18" JP Rifle is but is acceptable.

I use a Criterion Hybrid profile that is just fine. If I were to make a new 18" upper, I might be temped to go Faxon Gunner. If I were to do a 16" I'd be all over the Stretch 16. So, those are my two votes.

I'm saving my pennies for a 308 AR with a Stretch 16. Now THAT will be epic.

• 5 months later...

Please help me decide between the Faxon Gunner 18" and the Stretch 16. If the answer is the Stretch, do you recommend fluted or non fluted?

I current shoot a BCM ELW KMR with a MRO in Factory division.

Thanks

Eric

I got my last 2 barrels from Midway using their AR Stoner Brand and have been very happy. Both 18" & 16". I've hit a 12" plate at 325yds numerous times in a row with my 18" gun.

23 hours ago, Tigereye said:

Please help me decide between the Faxon Gunner 18" and the Stretch 16. If the answer is the Stretch, do you recommend fluted or non fluted?

I current shoot a BCM ELW KMR with a MRO in Factory division.

Thanks

Eric

I have the stretch 16" fluted and have been extremely happy with it. I went with the fluted simply because I wanted to shed as much weight as reasonably possible. If I weren't so weight consciousness on that build I would have just gone with the non-fluted. I was a little apprehensive when first buying the barrel because it wasn't a big name brand, but I couldn't be happier with it and sing it's praises to everyone who asks about it.

EDIT: I built mine with an SLR adjustable gas block, JP lightweight BCG, and JP silent captured spring. It's been nothing but reliable and is the softest shooting rifle on our team, despite also being the lightest. Everyone really likes it and comments on how light it is if they have to pick it up for some reason.

Edited by mwinter501
added info