Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weaver 1x3

dmshozer1

Just get the Weaver!

At 3 power it is so much clearer than most low priced scopes, it actually looks better than they do at 4 power!

It is also very close to a true 1 power. Very important for fast shooting at close targets with a crosshair reticle!

Take care

+1,000 on that little Weaver.

I haven't tried every scope out there, but the Weaver 1-3x is the best I've seen for an entry level scope. It's optics beat all hell out of my Millett DMS 1-4. I have the Weaver on my 'tactical' guns, although I'm easy on my guns and I don't know how it would stand up to hard use. For competition it's fine, but I do appreciate a bit more power on the top end. So I use Accupoint, Burris, or Meopta 1-4x on the comp guns. But for someone getting into the sport, I think the Weaver is the best way to get started in tactical divisions.

The Weavers aren't perfect. One of my 4 Weavers needs to go back to the factory for repairs. It changes poi when the power ring is turned. I found it out when, after sighting in my 10/22 on 3x, I turned the power down to 1 I was missing steel plates at 20 yards. So I tested it and found around a 12" poi shift from 1 to 3 power! So I'd recommend you check on yours to make sure it doesn't do that. I don't think that is typical of them, though.

+1,000 on that little Weaver.

I haven't tried every scope out there, but the Weaver 1-3x is the best I've seen for an entry level scope. It's optics beat all hell out of my Millett DMS 1-4. I have the Weaver on my 'tactical' guns, although I'm easy on my guns and I don't know how it would stand up to hard use. For competition it's fine, but I do appreciate a bit more power on the top end. So I use Accupoint, Burris, or Meopta 1-4x on the comp guns. But for someone getting into the sport, I think the Weaver is the best way to get started in tactical divisions.

The Weavers aren't perfect. One of my 4 Weavers needs to go back to the factory for repairs. It changes poi when the power ring is turned. I found it out when, after sighting in my 10/22 on 3x, I turned the power down to 1 I was missing steel plates at 20 yards. So I tested it and found around a 12" poi shift from 1 to 3 power! So I'd recommend you check on yours to make sure it doesn't do that. I don't think that is typical of them, though.

I have two Weaver 1x3's. They both check out okay.

I had that problem with a Burris XTR.They fixed it, no problem.

I guess you can have a problem with any brand of scope.

As you have done, it pays to check them out.

The Leupold 1-4 is just as good if not better.

Leupold makes good stuff, and I wouldn't be surprised. I haven't tried one, but I've been told that the 1x on the Lupy isn't necessarily a true 1x, more like a 1.1 or 1.2. The Weaver is true 1x. That said, I don't really have a problem with the low end my Accupoint TR21 1.25 - 4x.

I just mailed my Weaver back to Weaver. I shot one 3-Gun and one Rifle only match. In the rifle match I started having to shoot way over the target to get a hit so I went out one day to Zero it. After about 10 rounds I realized it was toast. Took it off and shock it and it sounded like a baby rattle.

Guess I just got luck on this one. I will say I like it, but for now the EoTech is back on the smoke pole till the Weaver comes back.

In 3-Gun I have found there are times I can't see the target without some optical assistance and it seems to do the job atleast out to 350 yards. An another good thing is there are no batteries, it is always on.

Got mine for $139 on sale at MidwayUsa.

My first 3gun scope was a Weaver 1x3 and it is a good scope for the money. But I did have problems with mine....I had the mag well of my AR pressed up against a hard barricade and the reticle began to break apart with every shot. I must say the customer service was great.....and I got it back within two weeks (repaired) but I lost some confidence in the scope for a competition optic. My experience might be the exception...

Apples to oranges. That Leupold has a HORRIBLE price on it. It costs at least $300 & you could buy TWO Weavers for that price! Plus, the Meopta is a better scope than the Leupold (if money is no object, that is).

Midway often has the Weaver on sale for $129. The Armalite 1 pc mount is a good mounting solution.

Just get the Weaver!

At 3 power it is so much clearer than most low priced scopes, it actually looks better than they do at 4 power!

It is also very close to a true 1 power. Very important for fast shooting at close targets with a crosshair reticle!

Take care

Sorry, meant to say that the Weaver at 3 power, because it is very clear, looks better than most low cost scopes that have 4 power.

Apples to oranges. That Leupold has a HORRIBLE price on it. It costs at least $300 & you could buy TWO Weavers for that price! Plus, the Meopta is a better scope than the Leupold (if money is no object, that is).

Midway often has the Weaver on sale for $129. The Armalite 1 pc mount is a good mounting solution.

+1. Leupolds are decent but have a high price for what you get, I think you can do a lot better for your money. I've had a Leupold 1-3X CQ/T and a Mark IV 1.5-5X, and I consider them both to be under the Meopta 1-4X.

RZ

• 2 years later...

The Leupold VX-I 1-4x is about $200, but it's a shotgun scope with the parallax set to 75 yards. Not sure if that would be a problem on a rifle or not.

I used a Leupold shotgun scope on a rifle and the parallax setting of 75 yds was never an issue. The hard to turn power adjustment was, however. Good scope and very clear, all things considered it worked well.

Just get the Weaver!

Take care

Great advice if this was 1985. But today we have far better optics choices. This scope has gone the way of single stack .38 super open guns.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo