Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chevy or Ford Truck ?

This may be opening a huge can of worms but.....

If you were looking for a pickup to keep out at rural farm property with min serviced roads and an 1 hour commute to the closest metro what would you buy? It needs to be dead ass reliable, comfy, good cold weather performance and long lasting (10-15 years) and able to handle high mileage (25-30k a year)

Thoughts?

I was thinking Chevy or Ford but I am open..

That's a pretty tough order no matter which manufacturer you pick. Almost half a million miles...

I'm partial to Chevy, but I've had several Fords. You didn't say cost was an important factor so I think a 1 ton diesel of either brand would be the ticket. Diesel for the miles and maintenance. 1 ton because they just make them tougher for the years of dependability. If you look at the 15 to 20 year old trucks that are in good driver shape they are the bigger ones. They also hold their value better than any truck on the market. Do a search for 20 year old 1 ton trucks and see the prices. They cost a bunch more, but if you only have buy it once...

My choice would be a new Chevy 1 ton 4X4 dually quad cab.

All the four brands have their good and bad points. As far as fullsize gas pickups are concerned...

Chevy / GM. Best ride quality but lightest duty components. Good fuel economy, goofy engine issues at times. Plush interiors. Best brakes by a mile.

Dodge. Heavy duty, spartan battleship like interiors. I haven't met anyone yet that gets anywhere the advertised fuel mileage. Best looking truck on the road though.

Ford. Heaviest duty and long lasting. Optional interiors are stunning. The 5.4 engine will never leak oil but the new 3 valve engine has a spark plug issue that's a PITA at 100k. Just average fuel economy.

Toyota. Heavy duty, interiors average , ride quality average to above, fuel economy average. Pricey compared to the others and they have a face only a momma could love.

Nissan. Horrible fuel economy and butt ugly.

These are just my impressions. I see all these vehicles on a daily basis. If I were pick a gas truck it would probably be a loaded Ford. A deisel it would be a Dodge if something could be done about the interior.

I bought a 94 S-10 4x4 new and used it for work. Managed to put 350k on it before I sold it to a kid for $500. As long as the bed was empty it was fine. The kid still has it 4 years later.

In 96 I bought an Ford F-250 diesel. Put 450k on it before a guard rail stopped it. Truck was loaded heavily the whole time. Had a transmission failure at 125k and 4 water pumps.

After the guard rail incident in 02 I bought another F-250. 629k later she's still trucking along. Just replaced water pump and turbo.

In my opinion, if you want comfort buy a Chevy. If you want durability then the only choice is a Ford. I have been told that with all the weight I carry the truck does ride like a Caddy. It doesn't hurt that it has the Lariat package.

I won't consider any other make.

I really love my '07 Tundra with e 5.7 Liter V8. It stands up to anything including 30 degree inclines in wet Georgia clay as it has done all this week. And mine is only a 2WD!

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another one if and when the need ever arises. After 48K miles the only thing I've ever had break on it was a $1 clip for the tailgate handle. If this thing doesn't last into the 200K mile range I will be surprised.

My previous truck was an '02 GMC Sierra that was ultra-reliable. I never had anything break on it in the 60K miles that I put on it. However, there is simply no comparison with my Tundra.

post-5360-1262312897_thumb.jpg

Edited by XD Niner

2004 Dodge 2500 crew cab,, 3/4 Ton two wheel drive 5.9L Cummings Diesel with the 6 speed manual transmission.

22.5 MPG with AC on summer to 25.5 MPG now.

Jim M ammo

+1 to this post. Anything up to a 2006 with the 5.9 Cummings is good.

This:

ARE1.jpg

I don't know what trucks Boz has been in, but I compared everything out there and the Tundra Limited is half a step from a Lexus interior....nothing even remotely comes close. It's kinda nice to be coddled in warm leather, in a comfy seat while the huge nav screen points out directions as you blow by a Ram with an un-Hemi (people do know that engine isn't really a "Hemi" right?)....while pulling a trailer....and then wait five minutes after cresting the hill for them to finally catch up, only to have the same thing happen at the next hill. The Fords and Chevys normally never catch up...I like to wave and smile as I go around them...gotta be polite!

I haven't been keeping close tabs, but 2010 might be the year of the diesel for the Tundra, which is a good thing.

For Seth....dude, a Taco isn't even remotely similar to an F250 dude....lol.

Its not similar in size, but it was nearly $30k. I expected a whole lot more from it.

That's exactly what I thought when I was in the top Ford, GMC and Dodge models that were in the $40-50K range :surprise: The big-3 had me for 21 years...it'll take a lot for me to go back.

I leave Saturday morning for Red Oak Iowa to go pick up my new Ford F-350 XLT extended cab 4x4 with the v-10. Meet me at the dealership and I will sell you my 1997 F-250 with 110,000 on it :goof: I have always been a ford guy, would stay away from the ford diesels. The chevy duramax is a proven motor but with the new ownership, I will never own one. Lots of trucks at Cars.com and Autotrader.com. That is where I found mine. Good luck with the search.

Tom

This may be opening a huge can of worms but.....

If you were looking for a pickup to keep out at rural farm property with min serviced roads and an 1 hour commute to the closest metro what would you buy? It needs to be dead ass reliable, comfy, good cold weather performance and long lasting (10-15 years) and able to handle high mileage (25-30k a year)

Thoughts?

I was thinking Chevy or Ford but I am open..

The best by far is the Ford F650! lol :cheers: