Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Announced On Uspsa.org

Personally, I think a 5 day, 24 stage "run what ya brung" match is a good deal. The big dogs will shoot in whatever division they shoot best. If the talent pool is diluted by having a multiple division match, so be it. It's just like the World Shoot.

One of the nice benefits is you can shoot with your friends. I prefer to shoot Open, most of my friends shoot Limited or L10. With last years format, that had us spread across 3 different matches.

I'll be there shooting Open.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited and love the single match format. The World Shoot, Area matches, etc. are single pistol matches and folks don't complain there. If you win a regional championship (Area match) you are the best on that weekend, that year in that region. With a single match Nationals, whomever wins will be the best that year in that division. Period.

Pick a division. Whether it's one that you are dedicating yourself to that year one one that you feel you have the best chance of winning, whatever. Pick a gun and run what you brung. If you run and win, you've done your best that week. If you shoot poorly did it really matter if the match is diluted? There will GM's in every division and I'm sure that you can measure your performance relative to them if that's your flavor. If you shoot a good match, you know that you did, and that's what should matter. Your performance's relationship to the Top 16 is secondary.

As for the schedule, registration is just that registration. Travel on Sunday, show up Sunday afternoon and register. Shoot-offs and prize table are usually done fairly early so you can leave Saturday afternoon. If it's a big deal, leave on Saturday morning and you'll be out 5 days during the traditional work week. I realize that there are those that have alternative work schedules, but I think we can agree that the majority has Saturday and Sunday off, and I know I'd rather use a vacation day shooting than traveling.

Fly in Sunday, leave Saturday afternoon (and that's coming from California and landing in St. Louis and driving). Uncle Sam willing, I'm there...don't know which division, but it's nice to have the tough choice.

Rich

Am I safe in assuming that all those concerned about the "diluted talent pool" will refuse any awards or accolades for a good finish because all the GM's weren't represented in their division of choice? <_<

Bob H. has made some excellent points...especially in regards to L10 and Production Division.

A single pistol Nationals makes excellent financial sense...re-expand the program when a way to "break even" can be found.

I hope all those that choose to attend do so...and enjoy. ;)

I did not care much for the format at first glance. But the wife is the one that actually thinks it would work out. I will mull it over the next couple of weeks. I will check around and see who is going from south tx and maybe work out a partner for the trip.

I'll have to decide between limited and production. I may have to put off building a new open gun for a while.

Mike

Some questions come to mind.

How many slots will there be in total?

How many slots will be distributed through the first 3 parts of the slot distribution policy? (X # won at 2003 Nationals, Y # won at 2003 Area Championships, Z # won at "the first 8 non-Area major tournaments of the calander year".)

Now, how many will be available through Section and club distribution?

How many will be left over and available for procurement via the "Nationals Slot Waiting List"?

How many people will kick themselves in the butt for not meeting their Section or club eligibility requirements? (Join a club, work matches, etc.)

This could get interesting. A slot to the 2004 Nationals might just have some new found value.

This is my 2nd year of USPSA and I have not attended a National handgunl event yet, but I would like to for 2004. My question is, How does an average Joe like me, "68% B class open division shooter," get a slot for the nationals? And, When does the list usally come out to confirm if you got a slot or not?

Thanks

I intend to go, shoot Limited-10 with a Kimber and RO. I expect it to be damn hot except during the thunderstorm that knocks down half the paper targets. Then it will be hot and steamy and muddy.

To quote an old Klingon friend of mine, "It will be glorious!" B)

The "how many slots" question.... ah yes.

Well, it all depends on how many people per squad.

Given 24 stages plus chrono = 25 stages

2 shifts of shooters per day

So,

25x2x16 per squad = 800 slots

25x2x10 per squad = 500 slots

I had originally figured 16 as the upper limit. Chatted with a CRO friend and he puts the upper limit at 10 and after listening to his reasoning I think that the 10 limit is probably a lot closer to reality. Basically: 5 minutes per shooter x 10 shooters = 50 minutes per stage with 10 minutes travel time, walkthru, etc. That makes 10 hours of shooting for two shifts of shooters. Meaning this will be more like a 12 hour day of shooting.

I think the biggest hurdle for this match will be staffing.

Basically, USPSA needs every entry they can get for this match. They may not actually announce how many slots there are. They may just take entries and have some theoretical upper limit in mind just hoping they get there.

Initially I was doing the negative nelly on this but now I am starting to think more seriously about it. Besides, the wife's family is in St. Louis so I could kill two birds with one stone. I take 2 weeks off right at that time of the year anyway. Hmmmm.....

Guest Larry Cazes

I am relatively new to the sport so I don't know all of the background that has led up to this decison but......Why must the Nationals be profitable?! We pay yearly dues and fees for classifiers throughout the year that should cover this event.

Larry

Exactly, Larry! It's like a business that's profitable 51 weeks of the year... then they have their company picnic or holiday party and--gasp--it didn't even break even. Get a grip. It's not like it's going to take down the rest of the company.

The last Nationals (limited/open) lost somewhere in the neighborhood of $40,000.00. I have no idea about the 3Gun and Factory. I think thats a bit more than the company picnic Erik. I don't think that anyone is looking for the Nationals to make a profit, but there is a lot the organization could do with that $40K that isn't going to get done now.

The word that I got on the date was that they looked back over the last ten years and statistically this has been some of the best weather. Of course that last time I was there was 2001 and I seem to remember tornado warnings and the the match blowing/floating away before the Open. Lets hope that was the statistical anomaly.

That means another missed Nationals for me.

I've got a caribou hunt slated for AK around that time. If its a choice - then there is no competition. I don't have many good hunting years left with my father.

That sucks - looks like I'll have to entertain the IDPA nats.

JB

There is some good and some bad in this format. But I like it I agree with many of the other, the decision has been made. Live with it and support your sport.

I hope to be there and as always "Shooting a single stack till its red hot".

God I love this sport. KTyler :)