Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Announced On Uspsa.org

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red herring? C'mon. It just didn't work out. There are a ton of considerations for hosting a nationals.

I wish we were big enough to have a different nationals for every division. The "one big nationals" is just going to be a talent-diluted match and we'll never get to know who really is the best of the best.

And when they say "big"...how "big" is "big"? 400? 500? 600? More? Of course they had problems filling both Nats this year. The logistics of a realllll big match has got to be something just this side of a small war.

I agree with Erik. Picking one for those at the top just downright sucks, not to mention every other Nationals junky. It'd be interesting to see them shoot the match 4 or 5 times, though, with different equipment.

My guess is that a lot of who competes where will be dictated by company politics: sponsors getting together and seeing who wants to push what and then agreeing that TJ will shoot Limited so that Para can put it in their ad, Rob will shoot Lim-10 so that Springfield can put it in their ad, unless they want to push the XD, then you'll have a FGN re-match between him and Dave, who will probably be shooting Production and Glock can then put that in their ad. It will definitely be a talent-diluted match unless multi-divisional registration is allowed. Then again, I could be wrong.

Then there's the whole issue of taking 7 days off to shoot a single match... *sigh*.

THEN there's the whole issue of it not being 10 minutes away from where I live... dammit! :angry::P

Handgun Nationals - September 12-18, 2004 PASA Park, Quincy IL

One huge handgun match - pick your division

Supposedly 24 stages. The only thing I'm not crazy about on this is that the date will limit Junior participation..... :(

I don't believe that the Frank Garcia rumor was a "red herring" but it was the direction that Voigt was heading in before the bad news was made public about the red ink on the last dual nationals. Once it became obvious that the nationals would have to revert back into a single match format, Frank's range facility became suspect. Frank, in anticipation of the nationals, has already upgraded the range facilities and increased the number of bays (to 15) to accommodate what Voigt had claimed that he would need to host the match. They now claim that it will require 20 to 24 bays to accommodate a combined nationals. Frank feels very “jilted” by the decision not to give him a nationals since he has already spent funds in anticipation of a match that is not coming.

If we can only logistically run two national matches, then why is one of them a three gun nationals? According to the USPSA match results, I get the following number of competitors in each match:

2003:

Factory Gun 254

Limited: 276

Open: 262

Three Gun: 164

2002:

Factory Gun: 263

Race Gun: 432

Three Gun: 220+ (note this was in Vegas, which usually draws the biggest crowd, ala 1998 Open nats 400+)

So why would you give the most poorly attended venue its own match? Why not a Limited / Production and an Open / Limited-10? (Based on there were more Limited and less production comparitively to there were less open, but more L10).

And not to point a finger in the direction of the elephant in the corner, but isn't the guy making this decision that same person that consistantly wins the three gun open title?

The 3gun match deserves to be it's own animal. It is more equipment & logistics intensive and will always have a lower attendance than the pistol only affairs for pretty obvious reasons.

160 to 200+ competitors is a large attendance for any 3gun match. The other "better" 3gun matches typically draw 100-150 participants, so 160+ for the 3gun nats is a very large attendance.

I find it very hard to believe that Mike Voight would play favorites with anything. A more upstanding person has never graced the ranges of this sport before. His achievements are not his fault, and winning any match while being involved in the surrounding politics shows more about talent and focus than anything else.

Regards,

I agree that 3 Gun needs it's own match. It would be almost impossible to produce a 3 Gun combined with a single national pistol championship that promises to be big, both in number of stages and number of competitors.

I don't think that this format will dilute the competition--to the contrary, I think more people will enter in each division with the goal of placing higher up, thereby increasing the number of shooters entered into the match. The days when there were 400 or so competitors were the days when there were two divisions, and you had to pick one and "run what you brung".

I believe that the shooting is actually planned to start on the 14th, with the 13th being held in reserve in case of better than expected turnout for the match. Shootoffs will be on the 18th. That actually makes it a 4 day match.

The dates are scheduled with a wide spread to allow for RO's to shoot, unexpected problems, etc., and to allow for expansion if necessary.

7 days is way out of line. Plus travel time. Those of us that work for a living outside of the shooting sports, makes this an unreasonable time off...... maybe we wanted to take a real vaction some other time of the year also, only have so many days off.

Guess it'll be a Pro-only, shooting sports employed love-fest this year. Guess the sponsors will love having a captive audience for a whole week..... just thope they have someone to sell to!

:blink:

Lets hope that you can shoot it in 3-4 days, and the divisions just overlap....

Well, in my capacity as the Ohio Section Coordinator, I just heard from one of our Match Directors. He, recently, was talking up the experience of attending the Nationals at his year-end banquet. Now, he points out that 8 shooters (Juniors and their dads) won't be attending the Nationals due to the conflict with school.

I am pretty sure they were all looking forward to it. :(

I had been planning to go to the match next year, but 7 days plus 2 for travel is way too much. I think this will cut participation. I don't know if the wife will go for that. I don't shoot 3 gun, so that match is out of the question. Maybe I'll try for the Steel challenge or the Handgunner match.

Mike

Well, I wrote Gary Stevens (Area 5) to see if he could confirm that the match would require you to be there for all the days. He said that he thought registration would be on Sunday, and then you would be shooting Monday through Friday. Shoot off and awards (I think this is right) on Saturday. That would mean 9 days off, and I live only 5 hours from the range.

I was really looking forward to trying to make it to my first National match, but there is just no way. I can just see trying to pitch that to my wife. Umm...Honey...You know ALL the vacation time I have for next year? Of course, if I was divorced I would have more time to practice. :blink:

Do the board members of USPSA really think that almost anyone other than professional shooters can give up that kind of time and money?

And then making it at a time so unfriendly to Jr.'s?

Yeah I can't believe we couldn't have held it during summer, when the Junior shooters are out of school.

Other than that, I'm really looking forward to it next year. I believe turnout will be great and the competition could be fantastic.

As to the spouses not liking the 9 days off, I will probably bring mine along and the baby too.

Kudos to the USPSA President and the BOD's for adopting a single pistol Nationals. Maybe now the match won't run in the red.

For those worried about a diluted talent pool....I ask, "should we run the Nationals in such a format that the top 6 shooters in the country can go trophy hunting at the financial expense of the organization"?

God forbid somebody other than the Top six should win a Nationals Title...... <_<

Pick your division of choice, pay your fare and "have at it". If you win...don't be ashamed...It was your CHOICE to compete where you did and you need not make any excuses for your performance.

Now, under this format...the opportunity to achieve victory at the Nationals belongs to ALL the membership... ;)