Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kart or Schuemann

twister

I want to get a new barrel for my ss 40. Which would be better for lead bullets? Any help would be appreciated, Dave

Schuemann Ultimatch barrels are very good. You might also look at KKM and BarSto for shooting lead. I've had good luck with all three. Like the man said, pick one and practice, practice, practice.

I have Schuemann barrels in my limited guns and one open gun. I have Kart barrels in my single stacks and one open gun. I have tried lead in limited and single stack. I don't like the smoke so I don't use lead but they shot great.

Either is fine.

Later,

Chuck

If you are installing it, go Schuemann. They are a true short chamber, easier to ream. Better feed ramp cut too. Every KKM I've used is a rough cut chamber, not short chambered. Adds time to the install.

Both are accurate when installed well.

Both barrels you chose there are good, Personally, Briley makes an awsome barrel, at a great price. From 50yds in I don't think you will be able to tell the difference in the 3, Briley are not as well known, because most of thier attention for the last 5-7 years has been in the shotgun space. But the quality is there and I don't think you would be dissapointed.

I have a guy on the squad who has been waiting 4 weeks on a Barsto barrel, Shuemann, they probably have it in stock, Briley has over 100 in stock.

good luck

I'll be the lone voice for Kart, there is a reason the bullseye guys use them or Bar-sto, but it probably makes no difference for what we do. They are a few dollars cheaper.

In an ultimate accuracy test a couple of years ago the only barrel that would do 1" at 50yds was a Schuemann AET. I can't recall if the folks doing the testing were primarily bullseye or PPC oriented, but they went to the trouble of doing the comparison with a test fixture etc, etc. If I recall that was .45acp and they're working on the same series of test for 9mm now.

Going off retail a Schuemann is $240 and a Kart is either $225 or $235 (depends on ramp cut)....not a whole lot of savings there. Now, if you get the dealer pricing that will add up so a reasonable difference.

Like you said, no real difference for what we do. I do like the slight chamber flutes and ramp profile of the AET better. It made a difference in my gun, for certain (ramp).

I'll be the lone voice for Kart, there is a reason the bullseye guys use them or Bar-sto, but it probably makes no difference for what we do. They are a few dollars cheaper.

In an ultimate accuracy test a couple of years ago the only barrel that would do 1" at 50yds was a Schuemann AET. I can't recall if the folks doing the testing were primarily bullseye or PPC oriented, but they went to the trouble of doing the comparison with a test fixture etc, etc. If I recall that was .45acp and they're working on the same series of test for 9mm now.

Going off retail a Schuemann is $240 and a Kart is either $225 or $235 (depends on ramp cut)....not a whole lot of savings there. Now, if you get the dealer pricing that will add up so a reasonable difference.

Like you said, no real difference for what we do. I do like the slight chamber flutes and ramp profile of the AET better. It made a difference in my gun, for certain (ramp).

I guess thats probably the one thing I hate is the barrel flutes,fired brass with all the groves in it, then when I size it, you can still see it, it more of an visual thing.

Schuemanns chrono slower. Fred Craig tested a few awhile ago and liked the Bar-sto for accuracy. JPL precision likes the KKM barrels. I will go Bar-sto next but dang, that Storm lake in my edge still shoots nice.

All of the barrels listed here would do the job for you. Schuemann's are my favorite since they require less work to install, cut the hood and lower lug and that is about it. My only real piece of advice is stay away from the Schuemann AET (gain twist) barrels if you primarily intend to shoot lead. They are the absolute best for jacketed bullets but have yielded less than great results with some lead projectiles. If the lead is hard, and sized properly, they can give excellent results but a conventionally rifled barrel is more flexible on the lead projectiles that it will shoot well.

Edited by L9X25

I guess thats probably the one thing I hate is the barrel flutes,fired brass with all the groves in it, then when I size it, you can still see it, it more of an visual thing.

The odd thing is that mine don't do that (.40 and .38SC). I can see a tiny bit of the groove after they're fired, but nothing after tumbling and loading.

I have to wonder if it doesn't help with extraction/ejection because my MC gun throws cases much farther than my Bedell and they have similar weight slides, the same extractor setup and the same recoil spring, but the Bedell has a conventional KKM. ???

• 3 weeks later...

i've had Jay Della Bella build a couple of guns for me and i once asked him a similar question concerning Kart or whoever else....He handed me a new Kart and a new Barstow and asked me to look down the bore.........the Kart looked like it had been made by a fine jewelry company and the Barstow looked like....well i've been a Kart man ever since......D I C K

i've had Jay Della Bella build a couple of guns for me and i once asked him a similar question concerning Kart or whoever else....He handed me a new Kart and a new Barstow and asked me to look down the bore.........the Kart looked like it had been made by a fine jewelry company and the Barstow looked like....well i've been a Kart man ever since......D I C K

Jay Della Bella buildt me a nice Cup gun with a Kart here is the 50yd group.post-8237-1255400663_thumb.jpg