Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun tech comment at the Nationals

RAZZ

I had the pleasure of shooting in the squad behind the super squad at the Limited Nationals, and I made an observation. I was expecting to see a bunch of 'techy' guns on the SS, but there was only one 6" gun on the whole sqad (MV). On top of that, some that were shooting a 6" gun last year had switched back to a 5" gun this year (TJ). There may have been one sight tracker type gun (Chris), but I couldn't tell for sure. Nearly everyone on the super squad who was shooting a 2011 shot a very simple and basic 5" gun--no slide lightening, nothing fancy and many were 'old' full heavy slide / frame guns.

Nothing meant by my comment at all, and not a bash on 6" guns, just an observation.

I've been watching this stuff for a while...

Every single year it is pointed out the variety of the guns/gear used by the top shooters. And, every single year...people ignore all that and get on the band-wagon...thinking gear X,Y, or Z is the key to shooting well. :wacko:

If I could shoot like the guys on any of the SS's I wouldn't need cool looking guns either. I don't shoot good enough to look cool so my gear has to! :roflol:

+1 All of that cool gear make's me feel well, cool. That's all that matters to me. Cause we know people don't go for the prizes.

I had the pleasure of shooting in the squad behind the super squad at the Limited Nationals, and I made an observation. I was expecting to see a bunch of 'techy' guns on the SS, but there was only one 6" gun on the whole sqad (MV). On top of that, some that were shooting a 6" gun last year had switched back to a 5" gun this year (TJ). There may have been one sight tracker type gun (Chris), but I couldn't tell for sure. Nearly everyone on the super squad who was shooting a 2011 shot a very simple and basic 5" gun--no slide lightening, nothing fancy and many were 'old' full heavy slide / frame guns.

Nothing meant by my comment at all, and not a bash on 6" guns, just an observation.

Not sure because I wasn't there, but I'm pretty sure Ron Avery was shooting his 6" limited STI at nationals this year. It's what he practiced with all summer.

Dave shoots a 35, and Bob shoots a 24 when shooting Major.

Way to go Glocks!

I wonder if it could be that what ever gun is most familiar at the time of the Nationals determines the gun to use?

For example, for some reason, it takes me longer than most to adjust back to shooting a 2011/1911 coming from a glock (couple of weeks). Some guys can do it immediately. I can't. That's the primary reason I decided to shoot a G35 (instead of my STI) in L-10 last week after shooting Production with a G34.