Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What did you learn at Nationals?

G-ManBart

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I learned my open gun will shoot 2 inches low at all close targets covered up by a no shoot.

I noticed mine was shooting low before Nationals. I was able to stop by American Shooters to sight in the day before the match started. Good job I did, there were a few stages where I gave the no-shoot guy a hair-cut.

I learned a lot about my shooting, looking at my scores I was too hesitant and had too many penalties, though much lower than I normally get. I am going to work on my stance, tried some changes at the local match today and things are looking promising. I also need to work on my concentration, if anything disrupts me, I can't seem to refocus... I need to learn to step away for a few moments and get back in the zone.

My 3 no-shoots were lateral movements, I am over-extending my arms and losing control of sideways movement. I had 1 miss and only 1 D.

My walk-throughs were not all they could be, I learnt that from watching the women. Best all round learning experience I have had for shooting.

Next year will be better.

Edited by BritinUSA

I learned/found a new found respect for the professionals shooters. My flight home was delayed almost two hours, then put in a holding pattern for almost 45 minutes, getting home almost three hours later than scheduled... on my flight was a professional shooter that shot both matches back to back, and has to shoot the IDPA nationals on Thursday.

That's a grueling schedule by any standards. Sure, I have to go back to work tomorrow and attend a training class all week (more time away from my family) but it's still a choice for me.

I also learned that Vegas is dusty :)

Hello: I also learned if you look at the USPSA website you can download your Performance Summary and it will tell you alot if you look closely at it :surprise: Thanks, Eric

How do you do that? I've copied and pasted it a few times, but didn't know that it was downloadable.

I dont dare to say what it is that I "REALLY" learned at this years Nationals !! :devil:

Here's the basics, shoot more A's, a mike or two can cost you a class win, fast is not that fast at

the Nationals

Edited ...

I learned that slow is slow, and you don't need to shoot all A's every stage.

I realized after my first nationals you don't have to do anything special or different than you have been all yr. Go there, shoot your game, don't try to burn any stages down. Just shoot within your ability. If you can go to nationals and not make any major errors and shoot your within your class I think most would be happy and you will finish pretty well in your class.

Flyin

I could have used this BEFORE I went to my first nationals. I learned the same thing at my first nationals.

My 2 biggest errors were I tried to go too fast and I didn't watch my sights. Had good plans but when you run past a target or two and have to back up, not good.

Can't wait for next year.

Edited by pas44

I shot with a bunch of local guys which is a new experience at Nationals for me. Normally it's one or two other guys from home and the rest of the squad I don't know. Looking at their performance in comparison to mine was interesting. Looking at their performance in comparison to home was even more so. At both matches I watched guys that are normally rock solid and consistent making dumb mistakes like not loading the gun or skipping a target, stuff I've never seen them do at home. The guy I'm travelling with also 4 no shoots on the first day of the second match. 2 on each of two stages. He thought he was done for. He came and still managed to win third C.

So my lessons leaned at this one are as follows. Don't try to overshoot your ability at Nationals. You're not gonna get to Nats as an A class shooter and suddenly have the ability to keep up with GM's. If you try to keep up with the other guys you're shooting with instead of your game you're gonna crash and burn sooner or later. Don't concern yourself with others. If someone is getting lucky reshoots or not working or shooting faster than you, so what. You're not going to change their behavior, stopobsessing about it and pay attention to what you're doing. If you have a blow up on one day, forget about it. You can't change it so just finish as best you can.

Take the 5 minute walkthrough and use it. Keep visualizing once you are done with the walkthrough. I did fewer trial runs this year because it was better to rest my ankle than see the targets one more time. I saw lots if guys not walking through enough and missing setups or reloads or targets.

Start slow. Get some practice in the day before you leave. Find the sights.

I improved through the match, but I was shooting the first day at my top possible speed when the rest of the game wasn't there, and sank myself. I need to shoot my first three stages (or more) very slowly, until my brain clicks and I start seeing the sights again.

H.

I learned my open gun will shoot 2 inches low at all close targets covered up by a no shoot.

I coulda told you that just by looking at how your dot is mounted. And I didnt even need two letters in my classification to know that. Is that why sheep dont get scared when you approach with a gun in your hand, they know the first shot will be low. :roflol::cheers: H!

I learned that there are more people that shoot in this silly game that dont know the rules. There apparently are just as many who find their way onto certain committee's who dont know them either. Another learning curve, dont shoot the white targets and maybe the 2,4 or 10 points I needed would have been there. H! :surprise:

I coulda told you that just by looking at how your dot is mounted. And I didnt even need two letters in my classification to know that. Is that why sheep dont get scared when you approach with a gun in your hand, they know the first shot will be low. :roflol::cheers: H!

Frank what is it with you and sheep?

Randy two inches low? Dumb a$$ :roflol:

Frank what is it with you and sheep?

Randy two inches low? Dumb a$$ :roflol:

Listen I didnt say anything about your sheep so dont get so jealous! Just make sure you tell me when your uncle plans on traveling again so I dont have to wait on TSA to clear his farm animals before inspecting my gun. You know that caused at least an hour back up. I could missed my flight. I just ask for a heads up in the future, THANKS, NOT SO SQUINTY ANYMORE! H!

I got a lot of simultaneous NS/A hits, which I think shows that I pushed it a bit too much, accepting sight pictures for more of the A zone than I actually had. Alternately, I should have aimed just a bit further off the NS's.

I learned that even a Glock can jam (cleaned my mags each stage, religiously, but didn't clean the gun at all until too late).

I learned that sometimes doing basic/simple things more aggressively (like charging ports and getting fast A's on close targets) is better than trying to finesse a stage (trying to precisely hit the sweet spot between two ports to see all the targets, but now at greater distance and then needing to get moving from a dead standstill afterwards).

I now get that it's worth understanding how high risk some approaches can be, such as, instead of just taking it from a static position, trying to gain time by shooting an activator popper on the run (missed it three times, ran dry, overran the best angle for the shot by the time the reload was in, but had to take it down to avoid the FTE and mikes on the turner, made the really awkward angled shot in two tries, but managed to get a procedural for having my toes touch down outside of the shooting area while doing so, and taking a mike on the last paper because of the miss after the reload and being one shot short to finish).

All that, and I still had a great time :D .

What i learned!!

1, Always check your equipment, a guy on my squad turned around after making ready, to start the course, as he did his blade tech fell off, with the gun in it, 3 stupid screws, cost him a DQ.

2. Dont shoot scared of being the next in a long line of DQ's. With this much $ on the line , the though of a DQ scared the crap out of me, and my results showed it.

3. Walk through the course for the full 5 mins, have every step and movement figured out. Especially moving target timing!

4.If you ever notice a target that was not pasted, just shoot it anyway, and keep going, let the RO sort it out at scoring time. You will not get a re shoot, if it flusters you.

5 Finally, and I dont want to delve into this too much, because I am still in shock, make sure your chamber is empty when you USC, dont just take the RO's word for it. it almost cost me my whole match!!!!!!

I learned that even a Glock can jam (cleaned my mags each stage, religiously, but didn't clean the gun at all until too late).

I cleaned mine at the end of each day after I found that some of the magazines in my range bag (that I had not used) had a fine layer of dust on them. The inside of my gun was covered in dust!

Not really something I learned new but re-learned...shooters are the nicest folks on the planet. I got to meet a lot of new folks and renew acquaintances with a whole lot more as everyone came through my stage (Stage 3 - Crossover Finish). :D It's always fun to put faces to names and aliases here on the forum.

I also learned that 1 L of water an hour isn't too much in that heat. In fact, it was just about right.

One of the advantages of working as match staff is that you get to watch a whole lot of folks plan and execute through the same stage. I saw some C/D shooters with moments of brilliance and I saw some GMs suffer from buzzer induced plan self-destruction.

Overall it was a very fun time and once we got the "beat the heat" thing figured out it was a pretty good gig. Sure beat being chained to my desk 8 hours a day.

See some of you back in the Vegas area for the MG Nats!

I learned that its not a good Idea to drink 9 cups of coffee and take excedrin the morning of the match (Didn't know Excedrin had 500MG of Caffine per pill)

I learned that 172PF over two chrono's at home equaled a 163.8PF at the match. I learned that being moved to Minor can take you from placing in the top three to placing 7th in your class

I learned that Tight Group smokes way to much with lead bullets.

I learned that if Nationals will be in Vegas the next four years the Red Rock Resort is alot closer to the range then the Orleans.

I learned that anyone who volunteers to be an RO IN Vegas for Nationals Deserves every shooters respect and appreciation.

THANKS TO ALL THE RO's WHO BRAVED THE HEAT AND RAN A GREAT MATCH!!!!!

Edited by Turboprop