Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What did you learn at Nationals?

G-ManBart

So, with one third of the Nationals complete, I figured it might be fun to come up with a list of things people learned this year. It doesn't matter if you're a D or a GM, you probably saw something or learned something at the match and it's always nice to learn from what other folks have experienced. I'll start:

There were a couple of things, but I'll hit the biggies. I think I was a little bit too lax on picking specific positions to hit on the shorter stages. For example, on stage #1 I was going fine until setting up on at the end. I didn't pick the exact spots where I wanted to put my feet and, as a result, I went a bit too far, fell/stepped over the fault line (luckily didn't shoot) and had to step back....that cost me 2-3 seconds and just killed my resulting finish. A related thing was not moving through that sort of short stage at full speed a time or two during the walk through to get a sense for how many steps it would take. I do that on longer stages because you really get moving on them and you don't want to blow by a target, but I need to do this more on short stages. They're short, but that means there really isn't anywhere to make up time if you do something stupid like step over a fault line.

Second, I found that on the stages with timing sections (activators, drop-turners, bobbers etc) I'd watch the first shooter to two and maybe when one or two of the better shooters on the squad was shooting, but that was it. Next big match I'm going to watch those arrays no matter who is shooting, and as many times as I possibly can to get a much better feel for the best order of engagement. The stage with the Texas star was a perfect example. If you took the plates in one order the whole thing rotated nicely so you could get clear shots. Taken in a different order it would hang up and you'd really have to wait. I didn't pick up on that (maybe nobody shot it in a way to make it hang before me, but I should have copied what was obviously working in that case) and I wound up waiting forever on two of the plates....killed my result.

Those are just two things I need to work on....what did you find? R,

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: I learned I need to get an open gun. Just kidding :roflol: I learned that I could actually look at a stage and plan it the same way as the good guys shoot it. I shoot it alot slower though. I also learned I need to start faster on the first stage not the 3rd or 4th. I also learned I need to slow down a little on the tight shots and steel. Lastly I learned that you can have a gun that works perfectly every time out and at the nationals it will tank just some time and not all the time. I did find the problem----bad trigger return spring(started to crack at the bend). Thanks, Eric

I learned that two D's, 5 Mikes and a No-Shoot are no way to win your class. It's fun to have a quick time but no fun if you don't have to paste EVERY target.

On another note I learned that all my over planning worked out perfectly. I had everything in order on each day and didn't feel lost or behind or like I was missing something. Last month I got to Area 7 two minutes before the shooter's meeting and basically was behind from then until the 3rd or 4th stage.

Hello: I learned I need to get an open gun. Just kidding :roflol: I learned that I could actually look at a stage and plan it the same way as the good guys shoot it. I shoot it alot slower though. I also learned I need to start faster on the first stage not the 3rd or 4th. I also learned I need to slow down a little on the tight shots and steel. Lastly I learned that you can have a gun that works perfectly every time out and at the nationals it will tank just some time and not all the time. I did find the problem----bad trigger return spring(started to crack at the bend). Thanks, Eric

Wow that could be me word for word except I havent diagnosed my problem yet.

Dont get mad. I did and it ruined the whole match for me. I lost my game and never got it back.

Focus Plan Execute Reload

It was quite possibly the worst I have ever shot and it will be the last time I let myself do that

I you have a jam and are going to have a high stage time, take your time and get your points. Don't try to make up time and drop points all over the place. Then you have a high time and low points. :(

I also learned the value of not shooting D's I had 5 for the match and the last one cost me 2nd in my class.

Consistency pays off and you don't have shoot top 10 finishes to finished well. Here is what I'm talking about.......

Top Master 92%

2nd master 87%

3rd master 87%

Top A 81%

2nd A 81%

3rd A 81%

Top B 76%

2nd B 73%

3rd B 72%

Top C 64%

2nd C 62%

3rd C 62%

Top D 48%

2nd D 48%

3rd D 45%

The first person to finish in a higher class was an B and it was by 2% and then it drops down to C class where all of the top 3 finished with B scores but they were only 2-4% into B. Same with D.

I realized after my first nationals you don't have to do anything special or different than you have been all yr. Go there, shoot your game, don't try to burn any stages down. Just shoot within your ability. If you can go to nationals and not make any major errors and shoot your within your class I think most would be happy and you will finish pretty well in your class.

At Nationals your looking at the long haul. Out of 16 stages most will have several stages where they have major screw ups(your class can define what a screw up is). If you can avoid those majors mess ups or at least keep them to a minimum other shooters will drop down in the results. Thats where consistency helps you out at a big match like nationals.

Once you understand this it can help alot with the pressure of nationals.

Flyin

Flyin40 is right, it's my first handgun nationals and consistency does play a big role. Don't get carried away watching fast shooters go fast, I tried to push it and burned me down big time. Shoot within your comfort zone and be consistent.

I learned that blowing sand and grease makes a substance almost as strong as cement and for some reason my gun didn't want to work when it was full of this cement.

So next time when shooting in the desert I will either not use grease, clean my gun from time to time, keep a shower cap on it, or better yet all the above. Live and learn.

Taking 10-12 seconds to clear a jam really really hurts your standings, pretty much no way of coming back from it.

I learned that blowing sand and grease makes a substance almost as strong as cement and for some reason my gun didn't want to work when it was full of this cement.

So next time when shooting in the desert I will either not use grease, clean my gun from time to time, keep a shower cap on it, or better yet all the above. Live and learn.

Taking 10-12 seconds to clear a jam really really hurts your standings, pretty much no way of coming back from it.

that sucks, Dan. We have a good amount of blowing dirt and sand here in OK, but you eastern boys are used to only seeing that black stuff that you have to dig up in order to see.

10 seconds on one stage in a 16 round cof aint the end of the world, but it sure does put your mind behind the 8-ball. Make up for it at the idpa nats! :cheers:

Warning: thread drift, but might be useful next year. Try Dry Lube if you like to run your gun wet. by Otis. It's a special type of petroleum lube for super dusty places. Basically a real thin coat. It might work for you. Thanks for all of your postings. I want to win a slot for next year-this is inspiring.

It took me 30 mintues with the compressor to get the dust and grime out of my range bag. That stuff is finer then anything here in the northeast.

Consistency pays off and you don't have shoot top 10 finishes to finished well. Here is what I'm talking about.......

Top Master 92%

2nd master 87%

3rd master 87%

Top A 81%

2nd A 81%

3rd A 81%

Top B 76%

2nd B 73%

3rd B 72%

Top C 64%

2nd C 62%

3rd C 62%

Top D 48%

2nd D 48%

3rd D 45%

Guess that also tells us that the classification system is working.

First Nationals "C" and a new one at that. Lots of props I had never seen before. The most important thing I learned it to keep your "Mental State" in good order. I shot pretty well the first day until the last stage of the day "9" with the bouncey targets with the no shoots in the middle, on that one item 3 very tight grouped noshoots on the right and probably two tight air hits on the left 50 points.

Ending the first day poorly brought the fear of hitting a no shoot to the top of the mental list along with mikes, day two was a complete disaster, and ended the day with another 50 point blunder. In short you got to keep your confidence going and not be afraid to fail.

Day Three there is nothing to lose and nothing to gain, aka Brian Enos shoot when you see what you need to see and don't think, best day of the match. Only one no shoot on the long shot ameba and by some miricale I saw it and made it up. Best stage of the match was rated as hardest stage of the match and it was the hits that did it, so +1 on make every A you can. (Stage 2).

One more thing, any Mental Error will cost you more points than any single shot of the match. Aka forgetting a target. So getting and keeping your head together is no 1.

Edited by CocoBolo

Consistency pays off and you don't have shoot top 10 finishes to finished well.
At Nationals your looking at the long haul. Out of 16 stages most will have several stages where they have major screw ups(your class can define what a screw up is). If you can avoid those majors mess ups or at least keep them to a minimum other shooters will drop down in the results. Thats where consistency helps you out at a big match like nationals.

Once you understand this it can help alot with the pressure of nationals.

Flyin

You're absolutely correct John. How do you think I did so well? I dont exactly shoot with GM speed, and I often have more Charlies than I would like to see ....... but a positive attitude, a reliable gun, and consistency across the board paved the way to a Top 16 finish. :)

You dont have to win any stages to finish well. ;)

I dont dare to say what it is that I "REALLY" learned at this years Nationals !! :devil:

Here's the basics, shoot more A's, a mike or two can cost you a class win, fast is not that fast at

the Nationals

Edited ...

Edited by P.Pres