Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When to load ammo

L-10_shooter

I have a question for all of you guys who shoot lots of matches. Do you load your ammo and stock pile it for a season or make a little at a time before matches? and why? I have talked to several local shooters who do either. I have been loading 200-300 rounds every couple weeks. Let me know your thoughts.

Common sense tells me to load in bulk, at least enough for all the major matches I plan on attending. This way if something broke I would have time to replace/repair. It would really SUCK to have the dillon break the night before while loading your ammo.....With that said I load my local match ammo the night before or morning of....

I try to keep at least 2000 rounds for my Open gun in stock. 3K is even better. For a major match, I'll load several weeks in advance to account for a possible visit from Mr. Murphy.

I'm not one to try to reload for a match at the last minute. There seems to always be something come up that I had not expected. I'm much more comfortable knowing that my ammo supply is there when I need it.

Well sounds like most of us load in advance and add to it as it gets used up. How much extra do you take with you to a major? double the round count?

I usually round up the count to the next hundred and take another hundred. For nationals, the round count is 306, so I'm taking 500. Chances that you have to reshoot every stage is slim.

Edited by racerba

I load as I get time. I make sure that I have enough for any big match. When I sit down to load I usually load at least 400 rounds. Reloading for me is a relaxing time, time to unwind.

This seems to be my MO. BUT, if I am grumpy about something, I will just load until the sun comes up. It just makes me feel better. I ususally do some dryfire when I marathon reload, and some weight training. Load 100, do a series of set, a series of drills, load 100. If I do it that way, I get alot done and seem to have whatever I was P Od about worked out in my head.

I keeps 000s loaded at all times. I don't particularly like reloading so I do 2-300 at a time when I have a break- usually at night when everyone is winding down for the day- I'll head to the garage. Only downside is when I decide I want to change a load or bullet... then I have ton of "older" stuff to get rid of. :)

not shooting nearly as much as I once did, i can load 1000 rds and it will keep for a while, and like most have said, its a relaxing time for me to loadI try not to get down to crunch time on the loader, got too many other worries before a match than how much to load the nite before, as to how much do you take to a match??? well, I was unlucky enuff to have 4 re-shoots on a stage at the dundee ballistic banzai, where every stage is a minimum of 50 rds per stage, forthat stage alone i shot 220 rds, and almost 800 forthe match, to answer the question, I wouldsay pack double the total round count forthe match, noone likes going from squad to squad begging for a few rounds to finish their stage....

I load bulk, I buy bulk, and I have two loaders that let me do this both have case feeders. I do know a fair number of shooters that will be getting up at 6:00 am on match day cranking out 200 rounds for the match and they do this every Saturday, if they shoot Sunday they are burning the midnight oil. These are the same folks that show up without some of their equipment.

If I can't do a 1000 I will load till I run out of brass or bullets. It makes life more sane when you don't have to worry about loading every week.

I crank 'em out as needed, a few hundred here, a few hundred there, but do major match ammo well in advance so I can check/chrono/sight-in with it.

For major matches, the rule used to be twice the round count, but as I got better, I switched to round-count-plus-150.. 50 for the belt, 100 for reshoots/shootoffs/etc

I believe in planning ahead especially for major match ammo so if someone pm's that they may need ammo I don't have to go back and load more hoping it is the same as I previously loaded for myself. I still have enough loaded from Area 1 to shoot a surprise steel match the weekend after the Nationals without anymore loading.

I hate reloading, so I've done both, right before the match (local) and making a bunch up. For big matches, I load up 2-3 weeks before the match with my match components. I'll load 3 times the amount of rounds I need for the match. I'll shoot 1/3 making sure the sights are good and doing some short practices. I'll take double what I need to the match "just in case" and so if anyone I'm shooting with needs ammo, I don't have to worry about giving some away.

It only takes 3 minutes to crank out 100 rounds, so I generally hit it 10 minutes at a time.

I load as I get time. I make sure that I have enough for any big match. When I sit down to load I usually load at least 400 rounds. Reloading for me is a relaxing time, time to unwind.

This seems to be my MO. BUT, if I am grumpy about something, I will just load until the sun comes up. It just makes me feel better. I ususally do some dryfire when I marathon reload, and some weight training. Load 100, do a series of set, a series of drills, load 100. If I do it that way, I get alot done and seem to have whatever I was P Od about worked out in my head.

That sounds like what I do sometimes. Our sectional match about a month ago was a two day thing. Sunday I could not sleep so around 2am I got up and loaded ammo till it was time to get ready to leave.

not shooting nearly as much as I once did, i can load 1000 rds and it will keep for a while, and like most have said, its a relaxing time for me to loadI try not to get down to crunch time on the loader, got too many other worries before a match than how much to load the nite before, as to how much do you take to a match??? well, I was unlucky enuff to have 4 re-shoots on a stage at the dundee ballistic banzai, where every stage is a minimum of 50 rds per stage, forthat stage alone i shot 220 rds, and almost 800 forthe match, to answer the question, I wouldsay pack double the total round count forthe match, noone likes going from squad to squad begging for a few rounds to finish their stage....

When I shoot the croc match someday I am going to bring more than double the rounds for that reason. With 60 round stages ammo goes quick. This year at Area 1 I took double and only had to reshoot the last stage of the day, better safe than sorry.

I load maybe a 1000 rounds at at time. But lately, I have been loading an hour before practice or a match. I just wake up really early and start cranking those rounds that I need. Dangerous but I have no time like I used to.

I currently load .45 and 9mm and I have boxes for a thousand of each. My goal is to fill those boxes. I have only accomplished that goal once. I usually load 300-400 in a session, whenever I have time.

For a match, 1.5 x the round count and round up a hundred.