Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHO MAKES THE BEST EAR PLUGS?

OK, folks,

here I am again with yet another question.

I currently have a set of Pro Ears Dimension 1 headsets that I use for indoor ranges. But I have been on the search for a set of regular ear plugs for OUTDOOR shooting.

My current set is a pair of RADIANS JELLI EARPLUGS.

417VW7QYTXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They are OK, but to tell you the truth, I am not totally happy with them.

The little tail that connects to the cord has a tear on it, and I have lost (and found) that one earplug a few times already. (That's NASTY AS HECK when it falls into the dirt)!

On top of that, it is a pretty solid piece of "goo" which doesn't go into my ear easily...and traps air in my ear every time I insert it.

Needless to say, I am in the market for a better set.

I have heard that the SUREFIRE EARPRO EP4's are pretty nice, but they do not seem to have a high DB protection level. Especially during 3-gunning, with folks shooting compensated breaks!

I am ordering a set of the Surefire Earpro EP4's as we speak (to try em out), but I am still interested in feedback from folks who own a set...or other recommendations.

I have also been looking at a set of mixable/moldable ear plugs like the EAR INC INSTA-MOLD, or the RADIANS DO-IT-YOURSELF MOLDED EAR PLUG KIT. (Click on the links to check em out).

Another option would be the PELTOR INDOOR/OUTDOOR PLUGS which also have a lot of good reviews. But I do not like the fact that they are smaller, and do not have a cord.

So as you can see, my search is ongoing.

I would like good DB protection. I would like to ba able to hear folks speaking, if possible. And I would like to have a cord attached to it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

In Christ: Raymond

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

I tried the insta mold kind, but they block too much sound when you have them all the way in. They also make my head feel "stuffy."

I also tried the Surefire, but I didn't feel like it blocked enough noise.

The string on a set of foam plugs drives me crazy because it rubs on my collar and transmits that sound to my ears--irritating.

I am intrigued by the Peltor double end ones, but I have a pair like it and they really suction into your ear canal.

Sorry I sound so negative, but I have the same frustration. Right now I am using my Dillon electronic ear muffs, but they are also annoying for rifle shooting.

Let us know what you find out.

Chris

Edited by S&W627shooter

Try the Insta-Mold. Here is a link to a company that sells them: www.safe-ears.com

I have them and they are great. You can also get them with filters inserted in them so that they don't block all the sound and allow conversation and lower decibel sounds in.

z-

I tried the insta mold kind, but they block too much sound when you have them all the way in. They also make my head feel "stuffy."

I also tried the Surefire, but I didn't feel like it blocked enough noise.

The string on a set of foam plugs drives me crazy because it rubs on my collar and transmits that sound to my ears--irritating.

I am intrigued by the Peltor double end ones, but I have a pair like it and they really suction into your ear canal.

Sorry I sound so negative, but I have the same frustration. Right now I am using my Dillon electronic ear muffs, but they are also annoying for rifle shooting.

Let us know what you find out.

Chris

Chris the reason for your head feeling "stuffy" is too much pressure in the ear. That occurs with some folks. Try the Insta-Molds with the acoustic filter. The filter is a small piece that is inserted into a hole that is bored into the ear plug. This filter drops the overall NRR, but it will allow sounds under 80 decibels to go into the ear (that's stuff like regular conversation), and the filter allows pressure equalization because it isn't solid.

Try this website: www.safe-ears.com

z-

I have a set of do-it-yourself plugs like the insta-molds and they work extremely well. Almost too well when trying to have a conversation.

The best standard plugs I have found are Howard Leight SmartFit. I can put them in part way and get fairly good protection and still talk or seat them fully and not even the open guns bother me.

I use the Howard Leight Max-1 foam ear plugs. They are rated at NRR33 which is a lot better than muffs and other types of plugs.

They are comfortable enough to wear all day and really tame down the noise from rifles and pistols. They do make it difficult to hear people talking at normal levels sometimes, but its not too big of a problem. They also have different kinds of plugs at different NRR. $20 will get you a box of 200 pair and will last all year.

I had a set made by these guys http://www.sportglasses.com/content/Show_Schedule.htm in the vendor tent at Area 2. This stuff is basically injected into the ear canal. Takes about 20 minutes to set up. AMAZING. Nothing off the shelf comes close. What? I said NOTHING OFF THE SHELF COMES CLOSE! What? ...nevermind

Jim

+1 for the double-ended Peltor plugs....

The yellow end provides good protection when you are not on the line and lets you still talk to others.

The green end I use when actually shooting...even works good for compensated rifles !!!!

(bring on the double-ended plug jokes... :roflol: )

I work in the engineering field and go out to job sites quite a few times, to say the least. I go to different plants which required hearing protection. I've experienced many different kinds and manufacturers. While a few work great, I find the Moldex Pura-fit works the best. It is the most comfortable and the easiest to fit. You can buy a case of them (200 pairs) from Grainger for like $25. That's what I've been using for the past year or so. I've had the fitted ear molds but did not really like them as much.

Chris the reason for your head feeling "stuffy" is too much pressure in the ear. That occurs with some folks. Try the Insta-Molds with the acoustic filter. The filter is a small piece that is inserted into a hole that is bored into the ear plug. This filter drops the overall NRR, but it will allow sounds under 80 decibels to go into the ear (that's stuff like regular conversation), and the filter allows pressure equalization because it isn't solid. Try this website: www.safe-ears.com. z-[/quote]

Zipper046,

I have a question for you.

I am interested in the Insta-Mold with a filetering device. Do you have a set of these?

I am curious to know what type of "filtering device" is used with these eap plugs.

Is it similar to the Surefire Hocks system, or are they different? And with the fiter in place, do the ear plugs still work to keep everything quiet, or do the filters ruin the eraplugs by letting in too much noise?

I was just about to order the Surefire ear plugs when I wrote this post, but I rethought my decision, as it may just be money thrown away. If I were to get an extra set, I think I may invest in the Peltor Inside/Outside plugs. (The green and yellow ones).

Anyone know what filtering devise they use on these Insta-Mold ear plugs?

Anyone have a close-up picture of this filter? Is this what they look like?

afiltered.24565551_large.jpg

Hmmm...

just thought about something.

I wonder if the RADIANS DO-IT-YOURELF MOLDED EAR PLUG KIT will work with the filter of the Insta-Mold plugs.

They seem to be the same material, and the cost savings would be significant!

Decisions, decisions.

I tried the Surefire EP4's. I liked them a lot and they are a lot quieter than the NRR leads you to believe, but they were just a little too loud with Open guns under a roof, and they irritated my ears after all day (all flanged-type plugs do this to me, so YMMV). They are only a little louder than the orange Howard Leight high NRR plugs (the orange bullet-with-flange shaped ones) and much easier to hear conversation with. They rock under muffs, btw. Worth a try at $15 too.

I tried the Surefire EP4's. I liked them a lot and they are a lot quieter than the NRR leads you to believe, but they were just a little too loud with Open guns under a roof, and they irritated my ears after all day (all flanged-type plugs do this to me, so YMMV). They are only a little louder than the orange Howard Leight high NRR plugs (the orange bullet-with-flange shaped ones) and much easier to hear conversation with. They rock under muffs, btw. Worth a try at $15 too.

Yes, I agree. I really love my EP4's. They have better sound protection than my muffs! What I really like is that they allow voices through much better than squeeze-me plugs, but don't amplify every little sound (crunch crunch of the stones under my shoes) like my electronic muffs.

Raymond,

Yes, i have a set with the filter. The filter is a tiny cone shaped piece of plastic that is inserted into a hole bored into the ear plug. The smaller end of the cone is towards the outside of the ear. Sound comes in waves. Normal sounds, like conversation, are below 80 decibels and have a very narrow wavelength. Gunshots are above 80db (more like 110db) and have a wide wavelength. Because the cone is small, it allows the narrow wavelengths in and the wide (larger) wavelengths of the louder sounds "bounce" off.

I have a set of plugs where my left ear is a solid Insta-Mold and my right ear is an Insta-Mold with a filter. This gives me the best coverage in an indoor range and still allows me to hear conversations.

I recommend solid plugs for indoor ranges and the filtered for outdoor....or do the mix like I do.

The Peltor plugs (and similar cone shaped plugs) are OK, but they usually irritate alot of folks because they sit in the Ear Canal and when you put them in and take them out multiple times it irritates the inner ear. Also with cone shaped plugs or with polyeurethane plugs (like the Howard Leight ones), they aren't custom. So if you have larger than normal or small than normal ear canals you won't get a great fit. This means that the advertised NRR rating will not be met!

With the Insta-Mold plugs, they are soft, pliable, medical grade silicone that are impregnated with germicide and are molded to YOUR EAR. This means they fit your ear canal and the bowl of your ear 100% and give the maximum tissue-to-tissue contact. This will give you the highest NRR (29.8) no matter what size your ear & ear canal is! Also, they will not accumulate wax, and they do not irritate the ear. The other advantage of the Insta-Mold is that they also fill in the Ear Bowl. That is the larger part of the outer ear. Most cone shaped plugs only go into the ear canal, so you don't get complete coverage.

Just my input. I have, and use the Insta-Molds often and they work great. They can even be adapted work with iPod's or other MP3 players and also with Tactical radios. Cone shaped plugs cannot do this.

z-

Edited by zipper046

Hmmm...

OK, I think I have come to a conclusion...for now.

By the amount of folks that are wearing the Surefire EP4's, I am assuming that there may be something to these ear plugs.

I am totally leaning towards the side of "safety," so I wanted something with a bit higher DB protection. But at the price of the Surefire EP4's, I guess I don't really have much to loose.

My buddy doesn't really care about a super-high DB protection, so he wanted to try out these Surefire EP4's. But I guess that is why I was kinda turned-off by them. (They were attractive to him BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PROVIDE HIGH DB PROTECTION).

Anyhoo...I guess I willl give them a try. I primaraly need them for outdoor use only, as I use my Ear Pro Dimension 1's for indoor use.

Here's another question I have in regards to the Insta-Mold. Did the added filter negate the high DB protection when installed?

And secondly, it sounds like I need to get these lil beasties professionally fitted. Is this correct?

Hmmm...

OK, I think I have come to a conclusion...for now.

By the amount of folks that are wearing the Surefire EP4's, I am assuming that there may be something to these ear plugs.

I am totally leaning towards the side of "safety," so I wanted something with a bit higher DB protection. But at the price of the Surefire EP4's, I guess I don't really have much to loose.

My buddy doesn't really care about a super-high DB protection, so he wanted to try out these Surefire EP4's. But I guess that is why I was kinda turned-off by them. (They were attractive to him BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PROVIDE HIGH DB PROTECTION).

Anyhoo...I guess I willl give them a try. I primaraly need them for outdoor use only, as I use my Ear Pro Dimension 1's for indoor use.

Here's another question I have in regards to the Insta-Mold. Did the added filter negate the high DB protection when installed?

And secondly, it sounds like I need to get these lil beasties professionally fitted. Is this correct?

I have been using EP3's and EP4's at work as well as doubling up by using muffs over them. I am around gunfire a few hours a day when I am at the range. I think the EP4's would be fine for 3-gun when you are shooting in a match but when you aren't the shooter or when you are practicing then I say double up on the protection. No need to push it.

I have been using the Surefires for about two years now. I love them. They do block more than their rating would make you think. The only time that I have felt like I needed more was inside with open pistols or rifles. In these cases, I put my muffs on over them. I like the way you are able to score/carry on conversation without removing them.

As far as foam plugs go, for me they make my ear canals hurt after a while and I have always hated to pull them out to score and then put them back in with dirty fingers. I may be way off here, but I think it is just another way for lead to get into your body. Just my $0.02.

Hurley

I had a set made by these guys http://www.sportglasses.com/content/Show_Schedule.htm in the vendor tent at Area 2. This stuff is basically injected into the ear canal. Takes about 20 minutes to set up. AMAZING. Nothing off the shelf comes close. What? I said NOTHING OFF THE SHELF COMES CLOSE! What? ...nevermind

I got a set from them at the Nationals one year. Great stuff.

Try the Insta-Mold. Here is a link to a company that sells them: www.safe-ears.com

I have them and they are great. You can also get them with filters inserted in them so that they don't block all the sound and allow conversation and lower decibel sounds in.

z-

Are these a DIY job or is there some special "fitting" process for these?