Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHO MAKES THE BEST EAR PLUGS?

Well, Folks...just a closing comment.

I ended-up receiving the Surefire EP4's last week. And they came right on time, as I attended a USPSA pistol match this weekend.

The SF EP4's felt good, and they gave me the necessary hearing protection I needed for outdoor pistol shooting.

I am a right-handed shooter, and decided to leave the RIGHT SIDE plug out of the earplug. (The left side was fully plugged for maximum protection).

Why?

Because when I am shooting, not only is my head slightly cocked to the right to see my sights...but it is also turned away from the blast.

Don't believe me? Point the weapon at yourself WHILE LOOKING IN THE MIRROR. (Not your literal self, dummy)! Now notice that your right ear is slightly turned awy.

I know everyone does not shoot like this...but I do. So I figured since my right ear is partially protected from the blast, might as well experiment to see if I can use my right ear to hear. And it worked OK.

It seems that for OUTDOOR protection, they are fine. But I have to caution you - for you folks that are shooting compensated 38 super's in the Open Division...no, no, no!!

I was standing about 10-feet to the left of an Open Division shooter (with the extra protection plug NOT inserted for maximum protection), and I was shocked at the little "crack" I received in my ear drum. (Like crumbling paper).

It scared me. :surprise:

I immediately placed my finger over the earplug opening until the shooter had finished the stage. And even after the little plug was inserted into the earplug for max protection, it still didn't seem to be enough for Open Class shooting protection.

I am happy with the SF EP4's. They will be my outdoor earplugs for the next few months. (Surefire packaging says they are good for 6 months). At that time I will rethink a few things, and make another informed decision then.

Thanks again, folks.

In Christ: Raymond

• 3 weeks later...

I got my EAR passive plugs and took them out to the range today. I am very impressed so far. I could hear normal conversation and had no problems with the blast from a 38SC shooting out of a Tru-bor barrel. Perfectly fine for outdoor use. I haven't used them yet in a tunnel or under a roof yet and will probably doubleplug there just to be safe. The volume is perfect for hearing the beep which was hard for me with the solid plugs. They aren't electronic so I can't hear a moth walking across glass at 50 yards but I do hear what I need to quite well.

Edited by Neomet

What earplugs block out voice noises the best? I mean like conversation,etc. I need something that I can wear for hours.

Is this so you cannot hear the wife?

ha ha ha

I had a set of Radiens Jelly's, and they were rated pretty high for noise protection

But personally, they trapped air in my ears when I installed them, and the tail (where the lanyard attaches) was kinda flimsy and ripped.

I believe I posted a picture in the first page of this thread.

In Christ: Ryamond

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the EAR passives. WHILE FINE OUT IN THE OPEN YOU MUST DOUBLE PLUG IF SHOOTING IN CONFINED SPACES..... oops, was I yelling? Sorry about that, the ears are still ringing from firing a couple rounds inside a helicopter with my Open gun. Loud, loud, loud.

I like the surefire ep4 I cna use them all day and n ear pain and you can still hear people talking well enough that you don't find your self yelling. They are a little light if you are gonna ro all day with comp guns, but for 3 gun and normal shooting they are great and pretty cheap, I think around 10 per pair.

I wore the blue and yellow surplus earplugs for a long time, the ones I was getting were soft and came in a nice little OD Green carrier. Then the last order I got in were harder and hurt my ears. Local Ace Hardware had the same ones in a retail pack, again some were soft and some were hard.

So last year out in Tulsa I broke down and spent the $50 or so to have custom earplugs made. I had resisted for a long tie, but am sorry I did. These are without a doubt the best thing I have done for my hearing.

I personally think they block more sound than my muffs and they are a heck of a lot more comfortable. I do know I have to twist them half out to have a conversation they work so well.

I will also add that I wear them for everything noisy that I do now. I only wish that we had been as mindful of noise when I was younger. Grinders, Hammer Drills, Jack Hammers and all the rest that are around construction have left me hearing a lot less than I'd like to.

Wear hearing protection even cutting the grass now.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Contact Howard Leight

http://www.howardleight.com

I indicated I was the safety guy at my business and we needed samples for our workers to try in the shop for hearing protection... bla bla bla.

They sent me (to my work address) a sampler of nearly all of their earplugs. Came in a nifty little 6x10 tackle box with about 16-20 different models.

Since everyone's ear canal anatomy is different, you really need to try a couple to find the perfect fit.

A friend has big ear holes and uses two pair of the E.A.R. yellow type.

Another friend swears by the NASCAR endorsed spark PLUGS but they were uncomfortable for me.

I chose the orange QUIET® model.

They are reusable, just wash with soap and water. And come in a little resealable clamshell case.

I then bought a case of them at Grainger for a cost of about .50 cents/pair.

I have 2 sets of molded plugs.

The first are full coverage and were made at a gun show.

The second set I really really love. I went to an ear doctor, discussed the type of shooting I do (she asked, shotgun, indoor pistol, outdoor pistol etc....) They are actually 1/2 coverage and have a filter/channel in them that really allows me to hear voice commands etc. They can also fit them with electronic filters....

I highly recommend going to an ear doctor etc. They cost a little more but I am completely satisfied with them.

OK, folks,

here I am again with yet another question.

I currently have a set of Pro Ears Dimension 1 headsets that I use for indoor ranges. But I have been on the search for a set of regular ear plugs for OUTDOOR shooting.

My current set is a pair of RADIANS JELLI EARPLUGS.

417VW7QYTXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They are OK, but to tell you the truth, I am not totally happy with them.

The little tail that connects to the cord has a tear on it, and I have lost (and found) that one earplug a few times already. (That's NASTY AS HECK when it falls into the dirt)!

On top of that, it is a pretty solid piece of "goo" which doesn't go into my ear easily...and traps air in my ear every time I insert it.

Needless to say, I am in the market for a better set.

I have heard that the SUREFIRE EARPRO EP4's are pretty nice, but they do not seem to have a high DB protection level. Especially during 3-gunning, with folks shooting compensated breaks!

I am ordering a set of the Surefire Earpro EP4's as we speak (to try em out), but I am still interested in feedback from folks who own a set...or other recommendations.

I have also been looking at a set of mixable/moldable ear plugs like the EAR INC INSTA-MOLD, or the RADIANS DO-IT-YOURSELF MOLDED EAR PLUG KIT. (Click on the links to check em out).

Another option would be the PELTOR INDOOR/OUTDOOR PLUGS which also have a lot of good reviews. But I do not like the fact that they are smaller, and do not have a cord.

So as you can see, my search is ongoing.

I would like good DB protection. I would like to ba able to hear folks speaking, if possible. And I would like to have a cord attached to it.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brother,

you need to check the EARRPRO SIZING CHART.

How in tar-nations are you going to have questions about your ear size...and ask someone else about OUR ear sizes?!

That's like saying you are not sure what size shoes you wear...so what size shoes are WE wearing?

Go to the above link and have someone measure your inner ear. Or do it yourself. (I did).

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

• 2 months later...

These aren't cheap but I picked these up for pheasant and waterfowl hunting and they work very well. Got them out of the Cabela's bargin cave for a little over $500. SportEar Select 210:

micro-comfort-shot.gif

I decided that if I'm having problems hearing people talk at 23, I better do something now to protect it.

I used to use the yellow and blue surplus plugs, got them from a company called Jane's Surplus if I remember. They used to be very soft, came with a neat OD green slip top container. Local ACE Hardware had similar plugs, they were going out of business so I bought their stock. some were good, others were HARD.

At the last Nationals in Tulsa, I was wearing the Surefire (Great lights, can't take the earplugs) and they were just too uncomfortable. Broke down and had a pair of the molded plugs made, same guy that hawks the Dycot glasses made them. I am extremely happy except that I can't hear people speak, or myself for that matter and that leads to the only problem I have had, I already tend to be a little loud and wearing these plugs , well I now speak loud enough so that I can hear myself when I am wearing them so everyone else within half a mile now hears my whispers.

I may get an other pair this year and opt for those filter thingies. Sounds like they might be the answer.

Jim