Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Pawn Stars"

mpeltier

Im not really into reality based TV, but saw an episode of this the other day that was worth a look. A guy was trying to sell an 1890 Hotchkiss Canon that he paid $20,000.00 years ago. He was looking to get $30,000.00 for it. The Pawn broker brought in a friend who was an expert to authenticate and test fire it in order to decide wether or not to buy it. It was the real deal (only 57 ever made). And the pawn broker gave him the $30,000.00 after his expert said it was worth upwards of $40,000.00. They even shot a big potted plant with it at distance with a handloaded non-eplosive round. Very cool. I want one..

I love this show, Pawn Stars!

Because you've always wanted to be one?....Oh, pAWN star...never mind.

I like the Lincoln that they put $15K into the interior.

Mike - I'll bring down a couple of cameras and we can do our own Fun-store reality show! You might even get it on KET (PBS for you non-residents). But who would be the obligatory "cranky" guy for the show?

Mike - I'll bring down a couple of cameras and we can do our own Fun-store reality show! You might even get it on KET (PBS for you non-residents). But who would be the obligatory "cranky" guy for the show?

Chuck of course.

I really don't like reality TV, but I love this show, Pawn Stars! Something cool every episode. They always shoot the guns too, no matter how old or valuable.

Yeah they shoot em all. I think in the same or just previous episode a guy brought in a 250 yr old blunderbus. The poor sap that works at the pawn shop got volunteered to fire it and after 3 attempts it went "BANG". I thought the poor guy was going to S@#$T his pants.

• 3 months later...

45DV8 and I went to the store while we were in Vegas. I just saw the preview for the show on Monday night and there were two IPSC shooters in the background. It's while some guy is selling some WW2 knives. :cheers: Monday at 10 PM.

Edited by boz1911

I hate to bust your bubble, but it ain't real. No where near.

Filming started and stopped about every 30-45 seconds. The hyper-active, talk-a-mile-a-minute young dude who was the director would call "Stop" after anything anyone said, and then would suggest a different way to say it, or something entirely different to say. They would start again and if he didn't like that line he'd Stop and change it, too. There was no rehersal between his suggestions and when they started filming again a few seconds later, so it seems 'off the cuff'.

I came away thinking they must be making an ass o' money off the show to put up with that guy.

Yup, great show. Makes me want to open up a Pawn Shop just to play with all the

cool stuff. Ofcourse being that big of a store in Vegas of all places does'nt hurt.

I've heard some pretty interesting stories from a guy here who used to own a pawn shop.

I vote for me, I already have the name for it.

To hell with the cannon! I want one of these Hotchkiss guns!

The term "Hotchkiss gun" also refers to the Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon, a revolving barrel machine gun invented in 1872 by Benjamin B. Hotchkiss (1826-1885), founder of Hotchkiss et Cie. It was a built-up, rifled, rapid-fire gun of oil-tempered steel, having a rectangular breechblock which moved in a mortise cut completely through the jacket. It was designed to be light enough to travel with cavalry, and had an effective range beyond that of rifled small-arms.

The revolving Hotchkiss cannon had five 37 mm barrels, and was capable of firing 43 rounds per minute with an accuracy range of 2,000 yards (1,800 m). Each feed magazine held 10 rounds and weighed approximately 18 pounds (8 kg). The cannon was accompanied by a horse-drawn ammunition limber, which held 110 rounds plus six loaded magazines, totaling 170 rounds.

Saw one being fired once, like a huge Gatlin gun!

My step-dad owns a gun store and says to me "I was approached about being filmed for a reality T.V. show for a major network. They wanted to do a reality show of the shop since its family owned and ran, he said he turned down the offer and gave them some names of other Family run gun shops. Later he tells me the network decided to go with a family owned and operated pawn shop... a couple months later look whats on the history channel. Its a fun show to watch for sure.

• 4 years later...

4.5 year old topic.. revived!

I still like this show, but have to record it to watch later.. of course it only takes 10 or less minutes to watch it.. I fast forward through anything where they're not actually looking at something

Amazing.. that Rick seems pretty smart.. the rest are idiots.. or just acting that way for the camera?

It can be fun to watch. Though sometimes some of the stuff that walks in there you want to scream at the screen "That's a 1775 war bond from Massachusetts, that's museum stuff, don't bring that there; take it Southeby's in New York!"