Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dogs don't live long enough

ERIC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my dogs more than I love most people. Nothing against people. The best job I've ever had was as a K9 Handler in the Texas DPS. I've had the honor of working with two of the most loving/loyal/hard working yellow labs on the planet. One was buried in Athens a few years ago at 14 years old. The other one is 12 and is sleeping at my feet right now :cheers:

My sympathies.....we recently said good bye to our dog of 14 years. “Whistle” was named by our youngest son and they grew up together.

My favorite author, Gene Hill, has a quote that I really like: “Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.”

We just put one down two days ago... We all cried like babys.

He was a stray that showed up one day. He stuck around so we fed him and he decided to stay. One time he was gone for a while, he came back one day and I noticed his jewels were missing...He had gone visiting the neighbors, was caught in the act with his female, so he got cut then and there... Another time he was across the road and another neighbor shot his leg off, so we had a three legged dog... A few years back he was in the field behind the house and the coyotes got him, they almost tore out what the first neighbor missed... We had more money in vet bills in that dang dog, I swear. He was loyal, couldn't hear a dang thing but always barked when the school bus drove by, we never figured that one out, no his name wasn't Lucky, it was Rusty, and he was a good dog. We sure miss him.

wg

Saying I feel your pain doesnt help but I do. We have never had kids and our labs past and present are the only kids we have ever known. I understand the difference full well and truly love my dogs more than I do most people. They are honest, loving and only ask to be loved, if even a small amount, in return. Everyone here and on previous threads like this has the same feelings as I and dog people have a understanding that others never will. I dont like or trust ANYONE who doesnt like dogs because they always show their true colors and those who do love dogs also are the kind of people I know I can trust.

We have 2 labs now at 10ish and 9 so Im going to have to deal with this again in spades. I just try to make the most of what I know is a all to fast short amount of time. My first best friend died of k9 lupas. Bad deal.

Sorry again and it sucks.

Lost our Black pug, Rufus last summer, he was our yard Sheriff. We had four now three fawn are left, our oldest, Milo will be 15 in June, he's sleeps a lot has short spurts of energy. He's blind in one eye and can only hear when I clap my hands. Had to put his dog bed on the floor as he can't get up on the couch even with a stair step. Best dog I've ever had he's always just tried his best to please us. I had a serious injury before Thanksgiving, fell from a ladder shattering my left heal and ankle. He's been a true friend during my recovery either in my lap or at the foot of the recliner. I dread the day he passes and it's coming close I'm afraid.

sorry for the loss - I still grieve for my shepherd who died in 2004, it ripped me apart the pain was unreal. I was lucky to inherit his brother who was about to be put to sleep and he is now 10. They teach us what you we most need to learn about ourselves. Appreciate the time you have with your best friend because it is short too short.

Had to put our dog Nikki of almost 15 years asleep on Monday. Right now I feel like I never want another dog, too hard to lose them. This tuff gun guy was crying like a baby. Worst part is coming home and she's not there. We don't deserve them.

David E.

sadly enough that is part of the "I'll take care of you" deal we make with them and they gladly accept.The hard part is at the other end for us......

they love us every day

Had to put our dog Nikki of almost 15 years asleep on Monday. Right now I feel like I never want another dog, too hard to lose them. This tuff gun guy was crying like a baby. Worst part is coming home and she's not there. We don't deserve them.

David E.

Coming home is the worst, paw prints still visible, dog hair on the floor, leads hanging alongside empty bowls, the bond is unique and we are all truly lucky to have experienced it.

Edited by Mikethor