Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dogs don't live long enough

ERIC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the kind words. I fear I'll be going through this process again within the next couple of years because his play buddy is still here but all alone. She is 12 years and 9 months but still going strong.

Eric,

We have a Cocker Spaniel that will be thirteen in December. She has had both knees rebuilt and has had a couple of light strokes. We figured she was on the way to doggie heaven. Then my wife found a kitten. She was about 3 months old and she wanted to play. Lady, the cocker, looked at her funny for a few days and then it seemed as if she was a puppy again. She and that cat play all day long chasing each other around the house. I told my wife that we would come home one day and Lady would be laying in the floor dead, but she would have a grin on her face.

I said all that to say that a younger critter to play with will breath new life into an older dog who just needs a play mate.

dj

Eric,

My most sincere condolences on your loss. Been there too many times myself. A friend of mine put it best,

" If dogs lived any longer than they already do, the grief at their passing would be fatal." I recently had

to acquire a second Corgi to console my first one, after our 14 year old puppy had to be put down. Ein moped,

only left Belle's bed to come out and eat, then returned to her old bed and stared at the wall. After 3 weeks

we decided he needed a new playmate. He is much happier now, and when we go for a drive he won't leave

the house unless Julia is at his side.

I sometimes hate to open these threads cuz I know how bad it hurts to lose a pet of so long that was loved so greatly. I'm sorry for your loss. He was a stout and beautiful dog.

Me too. Your post really got to me Eric. I had to walk out of the office for a while. You have my best thoughts and wishes.

be

Thanks for all the kind words. I fear I'll be going through this process again within the next couple of years because his play buddy is still here but all alone. She is 12 years and 9 months but still going strong.

Sounds like she is the one whom now needs a play buddy.

Very sorry to hear of your loss. I know how it feels for you now, and dread how it will feel for my family and I someday. I am a Christian and certainly believe in the glory of the HereAfter. But when it comes to situations such as these, I'm always reminded of a quote by Will Rogers: "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where my dogs go". GOD promised that all good things will be in Heaven, so I feel pretty secure in knowing that my dogs will be counted among the loved ones that I will see again some grand day.

Eric,

Sorry for your loss man. I was there with my 15 year old three months ago. Although it was tough to put her down it was actually easier after. I knew that she was no longer in pain. You'll see them again some day.

If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they do.

Eric,

My most sincere condolences on your loss. Been there too many times myself. A friend of mine put it best,

" If dogs lived any longer than they already do, the grief at their passing would be fatal." I recently had

to acquire a second Corgi to console my first one, after our 14 year old puppy had to be put down. Ein moped,

only left Belle's bed to come out and eat, then returned to her old bed and stared at the wall. After 3 weeks

we decided he needed a new playmate. He is much happier now, and when we go for a drive he won't leave

the house unless Julia is at his side.

Another Corgi owner, I love me some corgi's

it sounds really strange.....

but i just lost a lovebird who lived a little over 20 years.

i got him just as a kid (8).....

20 years! a little lovebird!

what a great personality, and such a loveable pet. he would just hang out and enjoy his life with you. he didnt know any better than to be an enthusiastic happy little bird. watching TV, eating with you, or just socializing with you..... flying over to say hi, and falling asleep behind your ear against your neck. a true showing of complete trust.

miss ya little guy :(

i know how you feel. sorry pal :(

the kids will get over it slowly, but they will realize that the world moves on. it will be one of those lessons in life they have to learn with you :(

I had the chance to spend some time with a little Miniature Dachshund, not enough time. I still dream about her. Her name was as long as she was but we called her Red Dog for short. I know the feelings you're having. I found the link below in an e-mail from a friend. I think they're Angel's, really.

I resolved that I would do my best to make them last longer, perhaps because I'm selfish and I hate to cry for a lost friend. Look around where you live and find a supplement called Nu-Pro. Comes in Gold And Silver versions. This is a GREAT supplement and I've seen it do wonders for old dogs that everyone thought were on the way out. Give your dog probiotics and DO NOT FEED THEM ANYTHING that has "and meat by-products" on it. I don't mean to put an ad in here but I know lots of people who love dogs will read it. I want all of them to have as much time with their humans as possible.

It likely won't be time for awhile, but there's a little dog spirit out there waiting for you when you're ready.

I would much rather be the kind of person that feels these feelings for a dog than the kind that does not. If the price I have to pay to have one of these astonishing little beings in my life is feeling like that at the end than so be it. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

You ARE as good a person as your dog thought.

• 2 years later...

Had to put our other dog to sleep yesterday. She lasted a lot longer than I expected and I'm glad she gave us time to get over the first one passing away. It would really suck if they both went around the same time. She was 15 years and 4 months. We had the vet come to our place. This is a tough one to explain to the kids because she didn't pass naturally like the other one. We are now dogless for the first time in over 17 years. That will take a little getting used to.

post-2477-0-69641100-1335615804_thumb.jp

Sorry for your loss pal... :(

Here's another I like by DK

"No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish - consciously or unconsciously - that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown."

Dean Koontz,

Edited by JThompson

Very Sorry. I am sitting here typing with my Buddy nearby. She always plops down when I get on the computer because she knows I will be there for awhile. She is wondering why I look sad now...

They say Dogs are the only Animals that care more about you then themselves. Think of all the acts of bravery you have heard of. Dogs will run into danger not away from it (rescue dogs, 9/11 stories, K9s, etc).

There are no words but I hope you remember all the good and the hurt fades away

I cried like a baby when we put down my beloved golden Tyler after 13 years. It was so quiet around the house, I couldn't take it. We brought home my new Buddy Zoomer less than 4 weeks later. Now we have our newest little PIA Dickens also. Despite the pain, I'll never be without a dog again. There positives far outway any negatives when they pass.

I am very sorry for your lose, Eric. :(

I started crying as I read through this thread. I have been on the road for a few weeks now and it sounds like my own dog is on his way out. He was having some troubles when I left. My wife said that he cannot stand up on his own and he has pretty much stopped eating for the last week. I want to go home, but I dread what I will need to do when I arrive. Sometimes it is very hard to put our own selfish needs aside and do what is right.