Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tripp Research Adjustable Rear Sight...

Seth

Oh boy I just got mine back from them. Don't trust it enough to put it on my limited gun. Don't know what I'm gonna do with a sight I can't trust?

Did Virgil repair the old one or send you a new 2nd Gen. Alan? If you want, we can swap your K-1 w/ the STI/ Bomar

on my new Trojan 40 for a bit so you can see if it meets your trust factor in a bit; or just trade 'em all together if your tired of messin'

w/ it now.. Lemme know Brother, we'll figure it out..

I just finished the Trojan today w/ doing the 2-tone effect; all black controls, etc.. on the HC Gun..! It looks AWESOME..!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours my friend..! :cheers:

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He replaced some screws on the original. I have my original sights. im gonna try the k1 on my baer and abuse it with a couple hundred rounds and see how it does. Thanks for the offer and happy Turkey Day to you and yours. Or a thought sell this k1 and try the SV zero sight. This is the classic, what I get for fixing it when it's not broke. Lol

He replaced some screws on the original. I have my original sights. im gonna try the k1 on my baer and abuse it with a couple hundred rounds and see how it does. Thanks for the offer and happy Turkey Day to you and yours. Or a thought sell this k1 and try the SV zero sight. This is the classic, what I get for fixing it when it's not broke. Lol

We'll talk, may wanna take the K-1..

Happy Thanksgiving Brother..

Here is the video. This sight has been on my production gun for less than 3K rounds. I sent all of my sights back to Virgil earlier in the summer. Some of them he "tightened", others he said were fine. Whatever he did, it was only a temporary fix. I hope the Gen 2 sight does something about the sloppy dovetail. I know he's mentioned in the past that there is a problem with the elevation screw. I'll talk to Virgil next week to get some more info on the Gen 2 sight, and find out if he is willing to replace my current inventory.

http://youtu.be/ZbjmyA8Ea4s

Wow...please do keep us apprised of your dialog with Virgil.

Here is the video. This sight has been on my production gun for less than 3K rounds. I sent all of my sights back to Virgil earlier in the summer. Some of them he "tightened", others he said were fine. Whatever he did, it was only a temporary fix. I hope the Gen 2 sight does something about the sloppy dovetail. I know he's mentioned in the past that there is a problem with the elevation screw. I'll talk to Virgil next week to get some more info on the Gen 2 sight, and find out if he is willing to replace my current inventory.

http://youtu.be/ZbjmyA8Ea4s

• 1 month later...

I've had one on order for many months and I heard he was redesigning it.

Has anyone heard anything lately?

I got a note from Shari that they were "unavailable at this time", but that the website would be the best source of information on when they would be available.

BB

• 1 month later...

My dad talked to Virgil yesterday. He said they were holding up production for 30-60 days. Apparently they were having trouble with the amount of engagement surface in the dovetail of the rear sight blade. Though it does sound like they are doing the correct thing and fixing the problem before they start shipping again.

I installed the Tripp sight late last summer. It held up for about 700rds and then started coming apart. I replaced it with a new Bomar style rear from Dawson and threw the Tripp into the bottom of my bag. A total waste of $100. I didn't bother to call it in. I'll be interested to see how the new model pans out, but at this point, would be hessitant to try one.

I've spoken to Virgil and they're working on retooling and bringing the entire process in house. I don't expect to see any new pieces for a few months.

As for falling apart at 700 rounds and being a waste , I don't believe a word of it. Virgil would stand behind his product absolutely. If you didn't call him, you failed.

If I had a part fail at 700 round I would call the manufacture no matter who made it. If you just threw it away, yes you wasted 100$ from a company that stands behind their product 100%. Just like Dillon if it doesn't work and you didn't call to ask them why then you screwed up.

If you didn't call him, you failed.

+1.

Clearly there was a flaw in the early model manufacturing. However, Virgil bends over backwards to stand behind his products, and as you can see from threads here on Enos, lots of folks have used the sights for tens of thousands of rounds without a problem.

BB

I still have the sight. It's in my range bag. If the design isn't durable, then getting it rebuilt does me no good. Mr Tripp might be the most upstanding guy it the world, but if all he has to offer me is more of the same product, then getting yet another call to hear about a faulty product serves no purpose. The one I have failed in the middle of the Mile High Showdown. I was lucky to find a spare Bomar sight to install and finish the match. When Mr Tripp has something better to replace it with, I'll give him a call.

I still have the sight. It's in my range bag. If the design isn't durable, then getting it rebuilt does me no good. Mr Tripp might be the most upstanding guy it the world, but if all he has to offer me is more of the same product, then getting yet another call to hear about a faulty product serves no purpose. The one I have failed in the middle of the Mile High Showdown. I was lucky to find a spare Bomar sight to install and finish the match. When Mr Tripp has something better to replace it with, I'll give him a call.

it sounds like early adoption signs to me..

allot of us jumped on this sight very quickly due to the innovative design, so needless to say we were bound to find all the possible deficiencies with the current design..

so i don't blame you for wanting to wait for the gen2 to become available..

Is there a way to tell the early sight- or Gen.1- from

the Gen.2 sights?

I have one on a G35 installed by a GS- The sight has

been on for about 5-6 months, no problems yet, but I

have not fired it that much either.

Maybe only 200 rounds total.:closedeyes:

The second generation sights won't be available for at least another month or two.

I don't think the problem is specific to early production parts. It may be random, it may be related to the gun it is mounted on, it's hard to say. I have 1 or 2 that have held up well (so far) but I've also had a couple that won't last a match (on a production gun shooting minor rounds.) After talking to Virgil he seems to understand what needs to be fixed, and is working on getting the new pieces manufactured.