Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Show me skills/you tube videos

shooterbenedetto

troupe, on 22 Feb 2016 - 2:08 PM, said:snapback.png

You all that are flipping the rounds in the air because it looks cool are asking for trouble. It is a stupid move and sooner or later , it will catch you. It shows great skills.

I don't think anyone is flipping rounds in the air to look cool, it's a fast/efficient way to clear the gun and retain the round

I did not know that you are on the clock clearing your pistol !!! Turn the gun over, ejection port down and let the round fall to the ground, after you holstered and range is declared safe, pick your round up. You have just lost 5 to 10 seconds of your life by not being efficient, but you and the RO still have your vision, motor skills in your hands, etc. You have spent thousands in your equipment, ammo, travel, match fees, time, etc. One round lost in the grass is not worth it because the round was not "retained". I would not want to see any shooter or RO get hurt, and I truly believe that you would not want it either. Think of the liability when your round strikes the ejector , the round is ignited, shrapnel hits the shooter and the RO. I have witnessed it and the damage can be severe. The shooter that it happened to was lucky that the surgeon could get the metal out. The RO did not sue the shooter for the damage that he sustained in the " fast and efficient " unloading procedure. How easy of a case would that have been for a Civil Attorney. How many times has a gun malfunctioned in one way or another, on the last round fired, and the shooter says, glad that it was the last round and I finished the stage ! We all have been there. How do you not know the tip of your extractor did not just let go or became chipped, loosing tension on that last round, and in the process of the " fast and efficient " unloading ignites the round. Not trying to get off topic, just trying to let the 30 plus years of experience in the sport and over 20 years around trauma be of value to all shooters. We shoot in a sport that can be very dangerous with unsafe gun handling, and things happen very fast in this sport. Once the boom happens, there is no restart.

The sport has been very good to me and I have been fortunate in the friends that I have made in the industry surrounding our sport. I am at the point in my shooting that I know that I will not be winning the Nationals, but "YOU" may, so be safe brother and have fun !! I do hope you make it to the winners circle at the Nationals intact !!

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all that are flipping the rounds in the air because it looks cool are asking for trouble. It is a stupid move and sooner or later , it will catch you. It shows great skills.

I don't think anyone is flipping rounds in the air to look cool, it's a fast/efficient way to clear the gun and retain the round

I did not know that you are on the clock clearing your pistol !!! Turn the gun over, ejection port down and let the round fall to the ground, after you holstered and range is declared safe, pick your round up. You have just lost 5 to 10 seconds of your life by not being efficient, but you and the RO still have your vision, motor skills in your hands, etc. You have spent thousands in your equipment, ammo, travel, match fees, time, etc. One round lost in the grass is not worth it because the round was not "retained". I would not want to see any shooter or RO get hurt, and I truly believe that you would not want it either.

Do you have any actual reason to believe that anyone has been or ever would be hurt by catching a round? I don't.

I did not know that you are on the clock clearing your pistol !!! Turn the gun over, ejection port down and let the round fall to the ground, after you holstered and range is declared safe, pick your round up. You have just lost 5 to 10 seconds of your life by not being efficient, but you and the RO still have your vision, motor skills in your hands, etc. You have spent thousands in your equipment, ammo, travel, match fees, time, etc. One round lost in the grass is not worth it because the round was not "retained". I would not want to see any shooter or RO get hurt, and I truly believe that you would not want it either.

Do you have any actual reason to believe that anyone has been or ever would be hurt by catching a round? I don't.

I have seen inexperienced shooters muzzle themselves attempting this- but that doesn't stop me from doing it.

I did not know that you are on the clock clearing your pistol !!! Turn the gun over, ejection port down and let the round fall to the ground, after you holstered and range is declared safe, pick your round up. You have just lost 5 to 10 seconds of your life by not being efficient, but you and the RO still have your vision, motor skills in your hands, etc. You have spent thousands in your equipment, ammo, travel, match fees, time, etc. One round lost in the grass is not worth it because the round was not "retained". I would not want to see any shooter or RO get hurt, and I truly believe that you would not want it either. Think of the liability when your round strikes the ejector , the round is ignited, shrapnel hits the shooter and the RO. I have witnessed it and the damage can be severe. The shooter that it happened to was lucky that the surgeon could get the metal out. The RO did not sue the shooter for the damage that he sustained in the " fast and efficient " unloading procedure. How easy of a case would that have been for a Civil Attorney. How many times has a gun malfunctioned in one way or another, on the last round fired, and the shooter says, glad that it was the last round and I finished the stage ! We all have been there. How do you not know the tip of your extractor did not just let go or became chipped, loosing tension on that last round, and in the process of the " fast and efficient " unloading ignites the round. Not trying to get off topic, just trying to let the 30 plus years of experience in the sport and over 20 years around trauma be of value to all shooters. We shoot in a sport that can be very dangerous with unsafe gun handling, and things happen very fast in this sport. Once the boom happens, there is no restart.

The sport has been very good to me and I have been fortunate in the friends that I have made in the industry surrounding our sport. I am at the point in my shooting that I know that I will not be winning the Nationals, but "YOU" may, so be safe brother and have fun !! I do hope you make it to the winners circle at the Nationals intact !!

er but I am safe. Still not sure why you're so bent over the fact that some people prefer to clear their gun that way which like everything else in this sport, is about safety and efficiency.

If you think it's unsafe, then please share the science and proof as to why it's unsafe. that would help everyone. thanks!

Wow what a terrible article. It is full of 2nd hand observations and outright falsehoods. Example:

"No competitive shooting governing body I’m aware of allows rounds to be caught in any way — they must be ejected onto the ground."

I had to check make sure it was not an article from The Onion or some other comedy website.

This is an old conversation. If the competitor chooses to flip and catch the round it is on them if they screw up and DQ. Not sure why this thread keeps getting resurrected every few weeks.

There are lots of examples/articles of how ejecting live rounds can be detonated by the ejector, it is impossible to deny that there is a risk in a forceful ejection of a live round.

One recent article:
http://americanhandgunner.com/to-catch-or-not-to-catch/

I agree that the article is anecdotal at best and as you say, this is an old discussion, but the bottom line is that there is an inherent risk in whipping a slide open on a live round. If you choose to do so, you assume the risk. T. Roupe was simply stating that it posses a risk and wondered why people do it, I don't think that there was any suggestion of a rule change or disqualification for unsafe gun handling.

I agree that the article is anecdotal at best and as you say, this is an old discussion, but the bottom line is that there is an inherent risk in whipping a slide open on a live round. If you choose to do so, you assume the risk. T. Roupe was simply stating that it posses a risk and wondered why people do it, I don't think that there was any suggestion of a rule change or disqualification for unsafe gun handling.

That doesn't seem to have anything to do with flip and catch. You have to eject a live round no matter what. You can do it on the ground or in your hand, but I think it's safest to do it in the air, with the chamber pointing away from my face. YMMV.

The idea that the flip and catch poses any sort of risk is simply an old wives' tale. That's probably why the majority of good shooters do it (at least in my personal observation, working as an RO at nationals).

Edited by motosapiens

A post from another forum about this thread:

Old,old, thread. I happened to see a post by Tommy Troupe in which he relates his first hand (witnessed) experience with a round banging into the ejector and going bang with an open breech. Troupe is a stand up guy and I don't doubt his word one bit.

I let the rounds drop to the ground. In my case, when a round went bang after the primer hit the extractor, a chunk of case about 1/4 long and 1/8 wide hit me right between the eyes just above the bridge of my safety glasses. The brass turned when it hit my thick skull and traveled up the bridged of my nose for about 1/2 inch. Bled like a stuck hog. Still have the scar. Damn, that was a long time ago. Happened with one of the original Clark Long Heavy Slide pistols. Wish I would have kept that gun.

At the risk of prolonging this ridiculous argument a little longer, I have to wonder why there are so few detonations against extractors when people are SHOOTING the guns (I've never heard of one) and the slides are moving with much more speed and force than a human generates in the flip and catch, yet it's allegedly common enough with the flip and catch that people think you should DQ/MDK/Draw and Quarter/Kick Out of the Sport people who do it.

This is so much like the "Speirs killed 20 German prisoners" storyline in the Band of Brothers miniseries it's laughable.

At the risk of prolonging this ridiculous argument a little longer, I have to wonder why there are so few detonations against extractors when people are SHOOTING the guns (I've never heard of one) and the slides are moving with much more speed and force than a human generates in the flip and catch, yet it's allegedly common enough with the flip and catch that people think you should DQ/MDK/Draw and Quarter/Kick Out of the Sport people who do it.

Umm, the primer has already fired when the empty brass is being extracted from the chamber.

At any rate, all the horror stories about detonations do NOT really appear to be during flip and catch, but just people ejecting rounds sloppily.

I have to wonder why there are so few detonations against extractors when people are SHOOTING the guns (I've never heard of one) and the slides are moving with much more speed and force than a human generates in the flip and catch

When people are shooting their guns, are they ejecting a live round?

I have to wonder why there are so few detonations against extractors when people are SHOOTING the guns (I've never heard of one) and the slides are moving with much more speed and force than a human generates in the flip and catch

When people are shooting their guns, are they ejecting a live round?

Only the M&P shooters

USPSA PB March Madness 2016 - GoPro Hero4 Session Hatcam Video

After a 3 week long hiatus, I finally got to shoot a match. Did decently, some stupid mistakes that caused a couple of mikes. I am surprised that my weak hand shots were way better than my strong hand. Looks like all those dry-fire practice is paying off. Just got to keep on doing it.
My stage (#4), got thrown out because I specified the scoring type as COMSTOCK when it should really be VIRGINIA. Also, the fact that some squads shot the weak/strong hand while using the table as supports didn't help either. The MD had to throw the stage out.
I hope everyone enjoyed that stage, it tests skills that we don't usually use in the PNW.

USPSA Marysville March 2016 - Open Division (GoPro Hero4 Session Hatcam)

Very disappointed with my performance today. I did not have any dot discipline. I find myself just shooting through the C-more and not watching the dot. I'm lucky I even got 3rd place. Need to do better next time!

Edited by robot

USPSA Renton March 2016 - Open Division Match Win (GoPro Hero4 Session hatcam)

Oh finally. I told myself after my dismal performance last week to focus on my dot and it paid off. Came out of the match with an Overall win. I finally understand what it means to have dot patience. call every shot and not worry about speed. The only two mikes were when I got lazy, need to not do that next time.
I guess this is my match mode. Got to keep it up.