Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching from Fiber Optic to Irons

Seth

it seems I am not aligning the top of the sights like I'm supposed to, instead I'm just place the fiber optic dot in the rear notch. Being as the fiber optic dot is larger I am raising the front sight so I can see the entire dot in the rear sight notch - causing me to shoot high.

This is exactly the habbit I fell into when using FO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting points made here. I ordered a set of plain black irons to try out on the Sig. If I like them, the CZ might get the fiber swapped out as well.

Out of curiosity, what are the top guys using? Fibers or irons? Is it an even mix or does one or the other have a clear majority at that level?

Interesting points made here. I ordered a set of plain black irons to try out on the Sig. If I like them, the CZ might get the fiber swapped out as well.

Out of curiosity, what are the top guys using? Fibers or irons? Is it an even mix or does one or the other have a clear majority at that level?

mostly irons. I think FO front is a great training tool for beginners to focus on the front sight.

Not true. Seems to be a pretty good mix of both. Todd and Robbie shoot fiber. Travis uses serrated black. Nils won nationals last year with fiber.

mostly irons. I think FO front is a great training tool for beginners to focus on the front sight.

• 1 month later...

I'm now a convert to FO on all my Glocks, I can easily acquire and call my sights. I still focus more on the black top of the blade, gotta love those Warren Sevigny sights :)

I have the W/S sights on my Glock. It is getting changed out. I find myself searching and taking longer for the sight to settle with them. Going with a dawson precision rear. Decided to make all of my sights the same, 1911, M&P, Glock. Should help me with consistancy.

I'm now a convert to FO on all my Glocks, I can easily acquire and call my sights. I still focus more on the black top of the blade, gotta love those Warren Sevigny sights :)

I have the W/S sights on my Glock. It is getting changed out. I find myself searching and taking longer for the sight to settle with them. Going with a dawson precision rear. Decided to make all of my sights the same, 1911, M&P, Glock. Should help me with consistancy.

I'm just curious what does the Dawson rear looks like and if any advantage over the Warrens?

I'm just curious what does the Dawson rear looks like and if any advantage over the Warrens?

The dawson is adjustable, black serrated, looks like a big billboard. Similar to the Bomar. It is my personal taste. Plus I want all the gun sight the same. I think it will be easier on me when switching divisions. I like a .100 front signt with a .125 rear. I actually sight in quicker and more accurately than with the small fron and the large rear opening. I focus more on Single Stack than limited.

The dawson is adjustable, black serrated, looks like a big billboard. Similar to the Bomar. It is my personal taste. Plus I want all the gun sight the same. I think it will be easier on me when switching divisions. I like a .100 front signt with a .125 rear. I actually sight in quicker and more accurately than with the small fron and the large rear opening. I focus more on Single Stack than limited.

Ok I checked them out but it does require a .285 tall front sight ?

I think so. Going to call and talk to Dawson about it. when I make the switch. I havent done it yet due to funds and other hobbies, intrests. Toomany hobbies for my budget, lol.

I think so. Going to call and talk to Dawson about it. when I make the switch. I havent done it yet due to funds and other hobbies, intrests. Toomany hobbies for my budget, lol.

I think going with LPA is a better choice if you really want an adjustable rear, just my 2 cents :)

LPA?

I think going with LPA is a better choice if you really want an adjustable rear, just my 2 cents :)

LPA?

LPA?

I played with fiber front sights quite a lot, I found i prefer a black front sight, sometimes with a white line or small dot on it.

This is not about what another shooter, be it the best in the world or not shoots, your eyes are different than theirs, every single persons vision is different, and as your shooting style develops and changes so will your prefrence in sights, and ability to focus. Just a small change in my contacts messed up my focus pretty good here recently.

Practice with all of them, and see what you shoot the best with.

LPA?

LPA?

http://www.lpasights.com/catalog.html

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread : ) thanks for sharing the information. I have already bought the FOs but will run it through its course to determine what works for me. I must say that switching back to irons from FOs would not have crossed my mind on its own.

• 4 weeks later...

After reading a lot of threads here about f/o vs irons I decided I wanted to try a traditional serrated black sight instead of a red fiber optic front. I'm running a Bomar rear and now a .115" thick black front. Installed on Thursday, laser sighted, and decided on a whim to shoot an IDPA match today. Not the hardest match ever, but interesting.

I have learned that I been getting the incomplete information from the fiber. I always found it hard to REALLY hard focus on it. I never did get the crispness of a sight picture Brian describes in his book.

But I did learn some things I'm trying to digest. I'm not tracking the sights hard enough. I believe the fiber allows me to 'cheat' my way back but I'm guessing my accuracy was suffering substantially. I now know what you guys mean when you're talking about SEEING the serrations in the front sight. Never seen that before.

I'm having trouble digesting the new information. I really liked shooting straight irons, but don't know what to do with it. Is there a performance gain to be made in 'backing up'?

http://www.cylinder-...ow&ref=SWsights

Fiber optics at the front and rear have worked very well for me. A large bright light green at front and two bright red lights on the rear sight make target acquisition very fast and accuracy superb! I shoot revolver USPSA (IPSC) with them. I've put them on both my S&W revolvers : 617 and 610. If you think your eye can differentiate small variations in black steel front and rear sight just imagin how much more effective these replacement sights are? These are high quality items made of steel with FO inserts by a respected expert in revolvers. I had my gunsmith do the installation. "Wow" is the typical response when my revolver friends take a sample sight picture at the safety table. They are worth every penny and I highly recommend them.

Good shooting and have fun

Brian,

I started this thread over 2 years ago when I was in a place where I was competent, but not potent. When I started it I believed, like so many others, that the fiber optic technology brought something to the table that I couldn't find with traditional irons.

My belief was right. For MY brain, fiber optics brings misinformation and confusion. The tendency, for ME, was to find the fiber and press the button. On a 25 yard target I was a mess. Further? Impossible. By getting rid of the fiber, I found exactly what my mind was looking for... the information I needed to be accurate. No distractions from pretty colors bouncing around.

The best part for me was that I found I could actually be faster without the fiber. I had to look harder to find the sights and my attention was focused more profoundly on them.

Yes. Fiber is brighter... but if you ask me, that's where the benefit ends.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian,

I started this thread over 2 years ago when I was in a place where I was competent, but not potent. When I started it I believed, like so many others, that the fiber optic technology brought something to the table that I couldn't find with traditional irons.

My belief was right. For MY brain, fiber optics brings misinformation and confusion. The tendency, for ME, was to find the fiber and press the button. On a 25 yard target I was a mess. Further? Impossible. By getting rid of the fiber, I found exactly what my mind was looking for... the information I needed to be accurate. No distractions from pretty colors bouncing around.

The best part for me was that I found I could actually be faster without the fiber. I had to look harder to find the sights and my attention was focused more profoundly on them.

Yes. Fiber is brighter... but if you ask me, that's where the benefit ends.

Nice summary Seth!

be

• 3 weeks later...

My near vision isn't great.

Tried all black sights and liked it better than 3 Dot, but I can't focus on the front sight.

Put on a Narrow Dawson FO and all is good.

I don't find the tiny FO distracting but it catches my eye and works great in mixed lighting (use it for CCW)

I can Sight 25 yards just fine with it.

The purpose of using a FO rod in the front sight is to help with "Gently" pulling your attention to the front sight so you can keep on the front sight and make out the top and sides of the front sight easier. If you are using a FO color or size that is too distracting then you will end up with tunnel vision and ONLY see the FO and nothing else. If you feel that your FO front sight is too distracting, which causes you to see nothing but the FO rod, then you need to switch colors to a more muted color or to a smaller size FO rod. Its very easy to go overboard with an over distracting FO color or size.

When used properly a FO rod in the front sight can be a benefit over solid black front sights. The advantage mainly comes into play in varying lighting conditions that are less than optimal.