Switching from Fiber Optic to Irons

Seth

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great thread! Lots of good info. I'm gonna order a black serrated and try it out. The factory FO front on the xdm 5.25's really fills the rear notch and I think it is giving false info. I'm breaking the shot when the dot gets in there but not really seeing the actual sight outline.

I have been shooting plain black serrated for awhile now.

I got turned off from fiber because I tried with a sight that utilized a huge fiber optic blob. Like other accounts, my accuracy was horrible, the dot was distracting, etc.

I am curious to try fiber optic with a serrated sight and a .040 rod that is recessed into the blade.

Seems like it shouldn't be an issue so long as the .040 rod doesn't glow enough to block out the shape of the front sight.

I want to order one and see if I have the discipline to only use the fiber to acquire the sight, but still use the actual outline of the sight itself for final shot calling.

Edited by JaeOne3345

I guess my post brings another element to the equation:

To those of you who have in fact used both, what fiber optic width style/sight were you using at the time that you swore off the FO?

I have used Hi-Viz which is horrible due to the size of the FO. I much prefer the .040" Dawson FO if using a FO sight, but for the last year or so I have been happier with irons. I have experimented with the Dawson some since switching to irons, but I still favor black irons.

Edited by Ryan N

I've tried an EGW .06" and the Dawson .04".

Now I'm running an .088" blade with a .115" notch on my 6" gun and a .75" blade with the .115" notch on m 5" gun.

You should see how thin a front Manny Bragg runs. I thought I was nuts. His is like a .065".

Glad i found this thread while my new limited gun is being built. I decided to switch all my guns back to black serrated front sights, on my limited gun i have ordered a dawson with a .135 rear notch and a dawson .90 front to see how i like more light around front sight. My last couple of SS matches i tried making the FO bigger thinking that seeing the sight faster and easier would help my accuracy, what i found out for me was that i was having a hard time calling my shots like that for some reason. I pulled out the FO and wow there is still a sight there that to me seemed alot more crisp and just as fast.

• 2 weeks later...

I think one of the biggest reasons to try all-black-irons is how "true" or "honest" they feel when it comes to calling shots. I don't think I ever really knew what it felt like or had fully experienced the ability to call shots before I switched to all-black-irons and that's really what got me sold on them.

I wouldn't debate that when first trying them it was far easier to pick up an FO front sight more quickly than an black-serrated front, but after a little time passes and your brain/eyes get used to them, that quick acquisition advantage fades away and due to the added accuracy the irons seem to promote, now I actually think they're faster after time+points is added up.

I don't think it's the kind of switch that can be made by just picking up someone else's gun with all-black sights and popping off a few rounds to see if you like it... In fact, I think I'd go as far as to say that pretty much it's almost a sure bet for most that are new to them to expect to not like them (or maybe even hate 'em)...

IMHO it takes a few sessions/weeks (ideally on a gun you know well) to really reprogram your eyes/brain to be comfortable/used to them, and that's when you start to see the rewards. Now when I pick up someone's gun with FO's I'm like "who put this big distracting dot right in the way of what I need to see?"...

Edited by ck1

I just changed my sights to black serrated my accuracy and speed got much better I think black serrated is better because you are looking at a clean crisp sight instead of what I call a paint blob on the end of the barrel I had an eye injury a couple years ago and lost about 40% of my vision in my right eye and I can focus in faster on the black serrated

Edited by Smo11

I have gone back and forth a few times and have come to love the warren tactical fiber optic front sight. I really like the fiber optic sight in the low light or indoor situations, but some fiber optics are too big and distracting. I like the warren sights because the fiber is set back into the front sight. I get good clean lines in the bright light and still get some needed help in the low light situations.