Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What would you do with a cheap Springfield GI model?

ben b.

I have a line on a Springfield GI for under $400. Parkerized, arched MSH with lanyard hook, tiny govt sights, short trigger, the works.

Thinking about keeping it as a GI and shooting it as a retro gun in IDPA with it. Also thinking about making a backup Single Stack/CDP gun.

Thoughts or opinions?

Ben

Edited by ben b.

I'm not mad at him. You shoot him.

What the heck is zoot suit?

Do a search on the forum. Henning Walgren and his buddies run a 20's era shoot. Tommy guns and single stacks.

I made my GI champion my carry gun. Bobtailed, beavetailed, new extended thumb safety, trigger job + components, left the original low profile sights (no snag).

I'm seriously thinking about new sights (night sight) and lower/flare ejection port.

I found a similar gun and smoothed the trigger and put a beavertail on it. I found a good leather holster and the gun now resides in the door pocket of my truck. I take it out and shoot it about once a month at a side match.

It's a good gun with so many options. You need to get it

fwiw

dj

Edited by dajarrel

+1 on "get it".

Depending on your future plans, budget, and wants, you could keep it as is and easily use it for CDP/SingleStack. Might want a beaver tail if it cuts up your hand like my Sistema did. I filed down the tang and hammer instead, but my guns aren't top end.

If you want to do well at matches then sights are a must. If it's a plinker or carry gun then the range you'd engage at is probably not far enough to use sights.

Leam

I kind of wish I hadn't traded one I fixed up. I put a long solid Greider trigger that I blackened, installed an EGW bushing that really tightened the shot grouping, did a pretty good trigger job on it, and filed the hammer down to eliminate the "bite", put some white paint of the front sight. It was still a GI, but was a pretty good shooting pistol. I did change some trigger parts, but it had the GI look. Only took about $60 in parts.

It really depends on your goals, interests and finances.

Years ago I bought a Federal Ordinance .45 from a pawn shop for $200, then over the next couple years replaced everything inside, found a Gold Cup barrel, added a beavertail grip safety, etc.

I've been shooting that gun for at least 10 years and I'll bet I don't have $500 in it yet. Its still ugly, I've never bothered to re-finish it, but its accurate and reliable.

post-86-1246629760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Al Capizzo

1. Buy the thing before somebody else gets it! :roflol:

2. Feel the trigger. Decide if it needs work, then do that first; if it feels good, run it.

3. You can get some ISMI springs for something like $6, so decide if the springs need to be swapped; they may be fine

4. Get some good magazines, like Wilsons. This is an absolute.

5. Install a Smith and Alexander mainspring housing (arched or flat, your choice) with a magwell. If you're planning to us it in competition, Single Stack shooters reload ALOT and a magwell, no matter how meager, is a must.

6. Install some grips with good checkering that bites properly and is cut to fit the magwell (I like Hogue).

At this point, with the exception of the trigger job, all of the above can be done by you at your kitchen table, so there hasn't been a lot of money spent. Put a thousand rounds through it "match style" and decide how you like the feel of the gun. Try a few different bullet weights and styles. If it has any reliability issues, then obviously take care of that.

7. Decide how you like the sights after having used them; if they work for you, then why spend the money on new ones? If I were to change them out I'd swap out the front for a thin-bladed fiber optic and put an adjustable solid (non-fiber optic) blade on the rear.

8. Decide how you like the balance of the gun. If it feels too light in the nose, consider getting a stainless steel or tungsten guide rod; if the balance feels fine, leave it.

9. Decide how you like the feel of the non-checkered front strap (the grips and S&A mainspring may already give you enough bite in the grip); if it's too slick then you can have it checkered (expensive) or put some grip tape on it (cheap).

10. Decide how you like the grip safety; consider swapping it out for one with a larger bump and a bigger beavertail; if it works fine, why mess with it?

You'll notice that I include a lot of the word "decide" above; after running the gun for awhile, you may end up figuring out that it's pretty doggone good as is.

This is my Mil-Spec that is pretty close to the G.I. with mods I did all at home. It is my carry gun.

Ambi-safety

S&A Arched Mag Well

Polished internals

EGW Barrel Bushing & Plug

Chip McCormick Power Mags

VZ MagWell Grips

Nighthawk Trigger

Will get low profile Novak's when economy gets better..

dsc0024enl.jpg

Get it and upgrade as you go.. or leave it stock and shoot the heck out of it.

Go ahead and buy it. Posters already mentioned what you can do with that gun so i wont repeat it.

i remember my very first 1911. i want bo mar and metaloy because that was the in thing at that time but i dont have enough money for that so i just make sure its oiled and the only mod done (DIY) was to widen the notch of the rear sight a little bit and i painted the back of the front sight with red nail polish. No name leather holster was from a friend of my Dad. I spent my extra money on bullets and 2 good mags and had fun with it.

I have a line on a Springfield GI for under $400. Parkerized, arched MSH with lanyard hook, tiny govt sights, short trigger, the works.

Thinking about keeping it as a GI and shooting it as a retro gun in IDPA with it. Also thinking about making a backup Single Stack/CDP gun.

Thoughts or opinions?

Ben

Won a GI 45 at the Oregon Single Stack match a few years ago. I'll provide the same advice two very reputable local gunsmiths gave me. Sell it and use the funds toward a higher end single stack or toward parts to do a custom build. The work involved to bring it up to a level for use in USPSA divisions is just too great. So, I sold it this past winter after it sat unused for a long period of time.

I'd put night sights on it and tune it up to run 230 grain Hydrashocks. Get two ten round magazines and then I'd keep it handy for zombies.

I agree completely with keeping a gun ready for the zombies

You just never know......:devil:

dj

My GI Champion (Commander sized, parkerized, stock everything) is my principal carry piece, so need not be sporty or racy. The trigger was a little clunky so I had a friend do the smooth-out trigger job on it and it's really cool now. That' s all I did. I got it hardly-ever-used-if-at-all on GunBroker over a year ago for $450. It's still essentially not broken in, even.

An under $400 price--if it's not a beater and all abused--would be a decent price. Especially full-sized.

Oh wait, I did put Hogue rubber grips on it because the little wooden ones were kinda cheapy looking. Sold 'em on eBay, so broke even on grips.