Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Public Enemies

Took the kids to see Ice Age 2 in 3D last night. The Public Enemies trailer was great!

In the theatre lobby they had a big cardboard display with Depp's picture as Dillinger. Beside it was two big picture frames with actual photos of him from his family members collection. Dillinger grew up a mile or so from my house. Lots of the older crowd remember the stories of him as a boy. I think some of his family still live in the area. Not sure if the family photos are just part of the national promotion or not. They looked like the real deal.

I saw a review that said they worked overtime to get things as authentic as possible. Should be lots of BAR's and Tommy guns blasting!!!

The wife and I just went and saw it. It is a Micheal Mann movie through-and-through: beautiful cinematography, action, guns blazing, and period-correct.

It is a mix of Dillinger/Frechette love story, and the FBI (pre-"F") trying to get their act together.

I also did some consulting on it, courtesy of Taran, who couldn't make it to Chicago for some of the work.

The wife and I just went and saw it. It is a Micheal Mann movie through-and-through: beautiful cinematography, action, guns blazing, and period-correct.

It is a mix of Dillinger/Frechette love story, and the FBI (pre-"F") trying to get their act together.

I also did some consulting on it, courtesy of Taran, who couldn't make it to Chicago for some of the work.

taran told me about some of it. patrick-you know what they used for stunt guns? on the trailer at about 1:36 depp is firing a thompson, but if you watch the brass coming out of it, it sure looks like 223 brass...way too long for 45 acp.

I give it an 8 out of 10. I just don't care for Johnny Dep. Even though he was good in this. I got a kick out of shooting a Thompson over the shoulder of a hostage with the muzzle inches from the guys face and he hardly flinched.

Anyone see it???

I saw it July 1. Great movie. Very good in the Michael Mann (Miami Vice (TV- not the semi-lame movie-although MM did the movie-just bad casting), Thief, Heat, Collateral) style with superb acting from Johhny Depp, Stephen Lang, Christian Bale, all of them. Begins with jailbreak and ends with stakeout-lots of drama and action in-between. Starts with guns, lots of guns in the middle, and ends with guns. Good gun movie. Actually, I've seen it twice now. My wife even liked it but thought it was "disturbing". She's an English teacher, so she's right. No kidding, great movie, Giovanni Ribisi did a great Alvin Karpis. There is ambivalence about cops vs robbers, but it was a tough time in America (sound familiar?) and the ambivalence is accurate. Does it make the FBI bad? No. Does it make crooks good?. No. Go see it, it will give you something to think about, even if you don't think it's the best movie ever.

The illusion of .223 brass from a Thompson must have been just that: an illusion. While I was at the production offices in Chicago, I got to see and fondle a lot of the iron. Blank-converted Thompsons, a BAR, a slew of handguns, all period-correct.

I taught Stephen Lang how to wrangle a Winchester M-1901 shotgun, and spent some time with his fellow Tex/OK lawmen (Matt Craven, among them) how to use other shotguns as well.

One thing you have to know about Michael Mann: there are no shortcuts when it comes to correct guns and gear. The prop room was full of period typewriters, cameras, microphones, etc.

Saw yesterday-- great movie!

One thing about Michael Mann, you can tell that he truly cares about making anything with a gun accurate. :cheers: In the first few minutes, Depp's character complains about his Tommy Gun jamming up, and another characters says that he's going to clip a spring down by X number of coils. I've never heard that in a movie before!

• 2 weeks later...

One thing about Michael Mann, you can tell that he truly cares about making anything with a gun accurate. :cheers: In the first few minutes, Depp's character complains about his Tommy Gun jamming up, and another characters says that he's going to clip a spring down by X number of coils. I've never heard that in a movie before!

Yea, that was way cool. Depp also complained it was "climbing to the right," and the "gunsmith" said he would rotate or turn the compensator.

Kick ass movie overall.

And the kicker was seeing Taran's name in the credits at the end! Me and my girlfriend were the only ones left in the theater... So we gave him a big Yehaa! and a round of applause.

be

Yea, that was way cool. Depp also complained it was "climbing to the right," and the "gunsmith" said he would rotate or turn the compensator.

Kick ass movie overall.

And the kicker was seeing Taran's name in the credits at the end!

be

I am pretty sure you see Taran's hands reloading the shotgun as well. I haven't seen it yet but I think this is the one Taran did the reloading in. Sounds like a good flick.

-ld

Kick ass movie overall.

And the kicker was seeing Taran's name in the credits at the end!

be

I am pretty sure you see Taran's hands reloading the shotgun as well. I haven't seen it yet but I think this is the one Taran did the reloading in. Sounds like a good flick.

-ld

OOops. Taran says he trained them for that but doesn't know if his hands are in the movie.

-ld

Saw it last night. To me, it didn't seem like a Michael Mann film, in the sense that the cinematography seemed off. Not the usually rich detail that I'm used to seeing in a Mann film. Seemed grainy in places (I know, it was shot HD), but it didn't seem like it was shot HD. Maybe it was the print that I was seeing.

Saw it last night. To me, it didn't seem like a Michael Mann film, in the sense that the cinematography seemed off. Not the usually rich detail that I'm used to seeing in a Mann film. Seemed grainy in places (I know, it was shot HD), but it didn't seem like it was shot HD. Maybe it was the print that I was seeing.

Actually, the use of the hand cameras was cool. Seeing Peter Gerety and the camera work, reminded me of watching Homicide.

• 1 month later...

Saw the movie last night. And I must say I was a little disapointed. I never really get into the movie.

Except for the gunfighting scenes of course. Congrats to the technical advisors, the gear is perfectly matching with the era.

And I finally see a movie where rounds are REALLY penetrating wood walls and are not stopped by a table, a couch or a chair !

I was wondering about this full auto pistol shot by Baby Face Nelson, but thanks to Flewmoney, I found the answer.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Saw the movie last night. And I must say I was a little disapointed. I never really get into the movie.

I'm right there with Julien. The movie's pretty, there's a lot of exquisitely executed gunfights, beautiful cinematography, attention to detail --- but at the end of the movie, I'm left unsatisfied, because they seriously neglected character development.....

Watched it earlier this week while laid up with a cold. IMHO, It was OK for a $1.00 Redbox rental. The gunfights were good and in particular I thought the Dillinger death scene was done well. I do have to agree with everyone else though, BAR's, Thompsons, and Colt 1911's are just cool................