Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I can find a place that can do it and it's a good quality steak, I like mine Pittsburgh rare. This is essentially a steak that has been exposed to extremely high temperature for a short time. It ends up somewhat charred on the outside and rare on the inside. The searing action immediately seals all the juices inside and produces the best tasting steak you've ever had. Seasoned before cooking with coarse salt and pepper and, if done right, nothing more before or after.

It's difficult to do this at home because even with cast iron, it's tough to get the pan hot enough on a conventional stove. Even most restaurants have trouble getting a pan hot enough to do the trick.

Gentlemen, your missing the boat!

First, you buy the Big Green Egg (look it up)

Preheat to 650 degrees F, lay steaks on side for two minutes, open carefully and flip to other side for an additional 2 minutes.

Open lid carefully and flip one last time, close lid and seal off all draft doors for 5 minutes.

Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.

Heaven....simply heaven! :cheers:

[quote name='Bigpops' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:18 AM' post='1006656'

Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.

Heaven....simply heaven! :cheers:

This is the real deal for a tender steak. LET IT REST!!!!

after being exposed to heat, the muscles contract, as the meat cools, the muscles relax. Also let the meat sit in it's own juices while resting, if it's not black, it will absorb some of its juices like a sponge, not a lot, but enough to make a difference.

Also, do not prick, cut, stab, over handle the meat while cooking, don't smash the meat thinking it will cook faster. the thickness and the type of meat and the heat source will determine the cooking time. For me a good steak is the following:

1.14 ounce CHOICE center cut Rib Eye

2. Seasoned with Koshur Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, lightly oiled

3. Grill is preheated to 650 degree F.

4. Grates are clean and oiled

5. Using not the hottest nor the coldest part of the grill, no closer then 4 inches to the flame

6. 2 minutes, rotate 45 degrees, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, rotate 45 degrees, and finish as desired, I prefer Warm Pink center with caramilzation on the outside.

7. Let the steak rest for 5-8 minutes.

8. Enjoy.

Medium to Medium rare.

Easiest way I know to get that is do the following:

(Shamelessly stolen from Alton Brown)

1.) Heat large cast iron skillet to 550F in oven.

2.) Bring 1-1.5" thick New york strip to room temp.

3.) Coat both sides of steak with canola oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper

4.) Once oven has come up to temp, remove skillet and place on a burner that is set to high.

5.) Place steak in skillet for about 30 sec then flip.

6.) Once the steak has cooked for about 30 sec on the second side, place the skillet back in oven.

7.) Let the steak cook on that side for about 2-3 min, then flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 min.

8.) Remove steak from skillet and let it rest.

Like shooting chef said let it rest.. If you don't rest it don't bother cooking it.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Edited by caspian guy

Medium, with no steak sauce. My wife covers her steak with A1, yuck!!

Exactly my wife does the same and it is not good

I'm a charcoal cooker, no gas for me.

Same here love the charcoal and I am not fond of bricketts

I am aalso a chef and do a lot of steak cooking I prefer the webber kettle style grills..yes do let it rest and only flip once and rotate 1 time per side.. and no mashing it down... let it cook if its cooking to fast the coals are too hot..wait. I have it down perfect 1 beer per side to a perfect medium.!!

Everybody knows that John Moses Browning and Col. Cooper laid down the law:

1) Good **thick** example of your favorite cut

2) Hottest charcoal or wood fire you can make in your grill

3) Right on top of hottest part of fire for 2 minutes per side

4) On the plate for a few minutes while you freshen up your favorite beverage.

And not that I'm opinionated or anything, but any steak cooked past rare is an insult to the cow who gave his life to make dinner!

Interesting reading the various ways to grill a steak. Personally I like mine mine medium well with a goodly portion of green chili on top of it. I'm talking REAL, fresh New Mexico green chili. Nothing from a can or bottle. No jalapenos or hot sauce(?). Just good green chili! YUM! Guaranteed not to leak, squeak or run down your leg. OK, now I know what's for dinner. :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

Voted for Rare.

Cooked with the light coat of oil, sea salt & fresh cracked black pepper and a little garlic & onion powder, all prepped on a room temp piece of meat. Rested about 5 minutes. Also, needs to be a Filet 1" to 1 1/2" thick.