Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, your missing the boat!

First, you buy the Big Green Egg (look it up)

Preheat to 650 degrees F, lay steaks on side for two minutes, open carefully and flip to other side for an additional 2 minutes.

Open lid carefully and flip one last time, close lid and seal off all draft doors for 5 minutes.

Remove steaks from grill and let rest for 5 minutes.

Heaven....simply heaven! :cheers:

That BGE thing looks pretty cool. Never seen one. But there's a dealer right down the street from me so maybe I'll check one out this weekend.

So if I "went big," as Patrick suggested, would it obsolete my gas grill?

Medium to Medium rare.

Easiest way I know to get that is do the following:

(Shamelessly stolen from Alton Brown)

1.) Heat large cast iron skillet to 550F.

2.) Bring 1-1.5" thick New york strip to room temp.

3.) Coat both sides of steak with canola oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper

4.) Once oven has come up to temp, remove skillet and place on a burner that is set to high.

5.) Place steak in skillet for about 30 sec then flip.

6.) Once the steak has cooked for about 30 sec on the second side, place the skillet back in oven.

7.) Let the steak cook on that side for about 2-3 min, then flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 min.

8.) Remove steak from skillet and let it rest.

Like shooting chef said let it rest.. If you don't rest it don't bother cooking it.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

That sounds like a good routine.

For rare, I may try 1 minute on each side after the "back in oven" step. Any vibes on that?

My GF was cooked some steaks similar to that - but she was just "prepping" the meat that was going in some sort of soup (I think). I snagged a couple bites of it before it went in the soup - and was better than any steak I could remember eating in a long time. And then I forgot about it, until this thread.

;)

I am proud to see that almost every poster in this thread cooks steaks the right way. Fresh meat on a hot grill. My son likes to marinate meat in exotic mixes. They taste good but you cannot beat a really good steak properly cooked on a grill. Salt and pepper it if you must, but leave the marinades for chicken or sumthin.

dj

Little tip on how to determine how "done" the steak is while on the grill. Stick with me here... take your left index finger and press it to your left thumb. Next with your right index finger touch the fat part of your left thumb at the palm. This is how a Rare steak feels. Press your left 2nd finger to your left thumb and touch your right index finger to the fat part of your left thumb at the palm, this is Medium Rare. Repeat with your left ring finger for Medium, and your left little finger for Well done.

No need to ever cut the steak to determine if it's done which is a big no-no anyway.

:cheers:

Preheat to 650 degrees F, lay steaks on side for two minutes, open carefully and flip to other side for an additional 2 minutes.

Open lid carefully and flip one last time, close lid and seal off all draft doors for 5 minutes.

That BGE thing looks pretty cool. Never seen one. But there's a dealer right down the street from me so maybe I'll check one out this weekend.

Medium to Medium rare.

3.) Coat both sides of steak with canola oil, kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper

4.) Once oven has come up to temp, remove skillet and place on a burner that is set to high.

6.) Once the steak has cooked for about 30 sec on the second side, place the skillet back in oven.

7.) Let the steak cook on that side for about 2-3 min, then flip and cook on the other side for 2-3 min.

Like shooting chef said let it rest.. If you don't rest it don't bother cooking it.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

For rare, I may try 1 minute on each side after the "back in oven" step. Any vibes on that?

My GF was cooked some steaks similar to that - but she was just "prepping" the meat that was going in some sort of soup (I think). I snagged a couple bites of it before it went in the soup - and was better than any steak I could remember eating in a long time. And then I forgot about it, until this thread.

;)

Yes it can replace your gas grill. I do use mine (gas) for the quick stuff like burgers , dogs and all of the other greasy junk.

As metioned, go big. I have the large and at times could use the XL.

Also, use the BGE charcoal. I have experimented with others but their stuff is great!

The price may alarm some at first. But keep in mind that this thing will last forever if properly cared for. I have been replacing $250-300 gas grills every 2-3 years.

One more biggie I learned recently. When cooking red meat, especially steaks, let the meat sit at room temp. for at least 1/2 hour before cooking. It helps keep things tender.

Medium to Medium rare.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

;)

Yep I'd try somewhere between 1-1.5 min per side in the oven if I wanted rare.(Of course ymmv based on the thickness of the steak).

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Why would you replace a gas grill every few years?

Previous homeowner left his old grill when he moved out 9 years ago. I've replaced various parts over the years, but expect it will last a long, long time before it's ready to toss completely.

I'm intrigued by the BGE. Clearly you can do a lot more with it than a gas grill.

Edited by wide45

Why would you replace a gas grill every few years?

Previous homeowner left his old grill when he moved out 9 years ago. I've replaced various parts over the years, but expect it will last a long, long time before it's ready to toss completely.

I'm intrigued by the BGE. Clearly you can do a lot more with it than a gas grill.

Perhaps it is my proximity to salt water or the high humidity, but we replace our gas grill every 2-3 years due to rust.

I clean it often and keep it covered. Even swapped brands in an effort to keep one a few more years - no joy.

weber grill with temp at least 550.

Steak, preferalbly porterhouse or a nice NY strip.

Dry rub with salt and black pepper with just a hint of cayenne.

baste with worchestershire

rare, about 2-2.5 minutes per side.

let it set for 5 minutes. do your asparagus or corn at that time on the grill.

Go BIG!

Buy the whole Loin (Filet)... Usually 4-5 lbs.

Invite ONLY your best friends/shooting buddies and wives (4-6 people).

Bring the loin to room temperature while trimming off all the silver/fat.

Stab a few dozen small slices into the surface, and stuff it with thin slivers of fresh garlic, 1/2 inch into the meat.

Coat it in Olive oil and roll the whole thing in fresh ground black pepper and course sea salt, maybe some fresh rosemary or other herbs of choice.

Bring your grill (with electric rotisserie) up to a medium heat, skewer your loin, close the lid, and enjoy some sauteed scallops with lots of butter and garlic.

Have a really nice Greek salad for a second course, and wash it down with a few glasses of a higher-end red wine. I prefer a Cab.

Test the loin frequently for "done-ness" by feel (pinch it). Usually takes 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of the loin. Lots of time for lies and bragging.

Remove it from the grill, and slice it immediately to stop the cooking inside.

The ends will be medium, for the medium crowd, and the center portions will be blood-rare... for me.

Ridiculously tender, juicy, and flavorful....

Serve with browned potatoes, and some stir-fried summer squash, and a fresh glass of wine.

ENJOY!

Damn I'm hungry...

JeffWard

Medium to Medium rare.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

;)

Yep I'd try somewhere between 1-1.5 min per side in the oven if I wanted rare.(Of course ymmv based on the thickness of the steak).

Peter Adams

FY-39604

I used the "Alton Brown" method to pan fry a couple of choice rib eyes (they were even on sale!) and they absolutely rocked. Moist, tender, perfectly medium rare. I will be using that recipe again. I've tried several of his methods/recipes and they have all been good.

-ld

damn I am getting hungry. I never use a liquid marinade on steak, thats a no no. Salt and pepper, how much depending on how thick the steak is. Get Grill nice and hot and cook for 8-10min . Pink in the middle, and your good to go.

I used the "Alton Brown" method to pan fry a couple of choice rib eyes (they were even on sale!) and they absolutely rocked. Moist, tender, perfectly medium rare. I will be using that recipe again. I've tried several of his methods/recipes and they have all been good.

-ld

+1.

Good Eats isn't just a TV show. It's a textbook.

-ld

+1.

Good Eats isn't just a TV show. It's a textbook.

Very True I went to culinary scool and he is the only show I watch.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a modified version of the above. It's a million degrees here now, so I didn't feel like cranking the oven up to full tilt to cook two little filet's that just happened to be in the fridge.

Let the steaks come to room temp, the salt and pepper and a little olive oil on both sides.

Put iron skillet in 3-burner gas grill and cranked all 3 burners to their hightest setting. Put in the steaks when the thermometer went past 550 degrees. About a minute and a half to 2 minutes on each side (they were about 1" thick) - came out rare, and real good.

Those particular cuts of meat weren't that good though. I'll try again with better cuts of meat. Which leads me to my next post...

be