Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I buy a used Remington 1100 Tac 4

I have been looking high and low for a used Benelli M1 or M2 and have not been able to find one. A new Benelli is just too expensive right now. I found a local guy selling a Remington 1100 Tac 4 with a side saddle for $725. I am seriously thinking about purchasing it so that I can get into the game for a little over half of what the Benelli would cost me. Please help talk me in/out of buying the Remmy.

Thanks!

Jesse

Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wait for the Benelli, or try to fnd something else, that works. My opinion would be look harder for a Benelli, there are some coming up for sale, now that people have to decide about what addiction they want to settle for.

trapr

Remingtons can be made to run 100% if you know how to maintain them. They do need more TLC and preventative maintenance than a Benelli though (PM me for details), so it depends if you are the kind of person who is willing to work on their own gun or just wants a plug-and-play/"black box" gun. I run a 15-year old Remington 11-87 and it has rarely let me down in all that time... never in a major match. I also have a spare 11-87 that I keep on standby for big matches just because, as the small print says, "past performance is no guarantee of future results" :roflol: . I got both guns for a lot less than the price of a single Benelli or Winchester (both, by the way, also have their issues, and need guinsmithing to work optimally).

If you decide on the Remington route, I would recommend against buying any $700 gun. You can find gently used 11-87s or 1100s all day for $3-400. As you can see, I prefer the 11-87 for its self-adjusting gas system. All you need to add are a mag extension (I like Choate) and an EZ Loader (you will want this anyway, as even the longer factory carrier release is too small IMHO). You can either buy a short barrel, or like me you can chop a longer barrel down yourself. Here is what you could have:

3-Gun11-87shortmag.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

My lightly used M1 ran fine right from the box. I cleaned out about 10 years worth of gunk from the spring housing in the stock and it ran light target loads without missing a beat. YMMV.

Curtis

Jessie,

I recommend you buy a regular 1100 for $3-400 range. Add the tube & EZ loader. Shoot until you can afford better, if you so desire. I don't care for the Tac remis myself. Or add a second 1100 in similar condition & you have instant backup for just a few $$ more than the TAC gun. Just my opinion, that is all. The "real" 3-gunners really like the Benellis, though.

I would probably have a spaghetti gun now but the very first little 3 gun I went to this one loud mouthed idiot starts screaming at me how the 1100 will let me down & Benelli is the only gun to have & on & on (but he fires a round into the dirt from his AR as he is getting up from going prone). The next stage he starts yelling at me how I need to leave the action open on the gun after shooting the stage "for safety". Just tell me stuff, don't yell at me unless I am endangering someone. Especially don't yell at me about my choice of guns or what I can afford. On top of that, don't yell at me when you just had an AD & no one DQ'd you for that because you are "one of those shooters". That really left a bitter taste in my mouth about that guy & Benellis. If not for that, I might have a Benelli but I am way too stubborn. At least for now, anyway. :lol:

That was several years ago, guess I should forgive & forget but until the 1100 lets me down, guess I'll keep playing with it.

MLM

I have a 1100 CM, same gun as the TAC 4. Been running it for 5 years. It has been a decent shotgun. It did have some issues. Started not liking 3 dram loads, went to 3 1/4 then had to use Win double AA's, now it will run anything.

Had gas ports enlarged to .110, started using Mil-Tec oil in lieu of Rem oil, and keep it clean.

I dont have any experience with the tac 4 or the benelli, but I have owned a 11-87 for 10 years and have shot many 1100s. I do alot of bird hunting, probably somewhere around 400 rounds a year, atleast, through my gun, and I have never had a single hickup. I do clean my gun after every hunt and oil it before I go to the field. I have no knowledge with 3 gun competition, that is why I am here, but I know that you will not go wrong with a 1100 or 11-87. Just take care of it and it will take care of you.

Stay away from it. Had nothing but trouble with mine. Seen alot of others choke as well. It's the most popular 3 gun shotty in these parts. IMHO a gun marked for 3 gun should run with any name brand load right out of the box. Haven't cleaned my M1 Super 90 in 3 years of 3 gun other than a boresnake down the barrel and it runs great.

Edited by xpd54

I've used an 1100 CM, which is pretty much the same as the Tac 4. In the hundreds of rounds I've shot in 3-gun, never had a malfunction. It still has the original O-ring, I just make sure it's clean and well lubed each time I run it. I'm currently selling it :rolleyes: , not because it doesn't work; I just want something new. ;)

I have a 1100 tactical which is just a green tac4. It has thousands of rounds through it. It has the occasional malfuction, but nothing has ever broken. I do understand how there can be problems, one thing that you have to keep track of is the mag spring. Since the action cycles off of the shell coming out of the mag tube you need to check/ replace each season. The advice I got from Daniel Horner years ago was to keep it wet and it will keep running. I don't clean it very often, but I keep it sprayed down with REM Oil.

I am in the process of changing over to a FN SLP, but not because the 1100 has ever let me down. I guess I it is attempt to fix something that is not broken.

Matt

Cant you find a saiga? I mean I have benelli, and love it, but when I got out of 3 gun, I kinda thought the saiga's were starting to be the rage? Maybe it was a fad. Just sayin!

I just shot the MGM Ironman. On my squad there were several Benellis and Remingtons. The Benellis were choking right and left. The Remingtons, including my 11-87, worked very well. I had a couple of stoppages, 2 stovepipes which I think were caused by the light (2.75 dram) loads I was using, and a little more severe malfunction which was caused by a heavy buckshot load which made the Easyloader release the carrier, which flipped up and intercepted a round trying to feed from the tube. This was on the last stage on the last day and the gun was quite dirty after about 300 rounds of bird, buck, and slugs (when I get off the range at 20:30 I'm too tired for gun cleaning). I saw the Benellis choking with some kind of malfunction on nearly every stage (could be the olive oil needed for lube :D ), plus they beat the &^&^%*&$##$%^ out of the shooters!

I would like to get a Winchester/FN one of these days (which would be a good investment of your $700), but my future shotgun plans do not include spaghetti!

I have shot many thousands of rounds thru my hunting 1100 remington. It was a new gun back in 1972 still shoots like new. So I have nothing bad to say about a remington.

In 3-Gun I shoot an FN SLP MK II, picked it up brand new last July for $629. The FN is Heavier than the Rem but cycles faster than a Benelli, and has less recoil than the Rem.

All opinions are for out of the box guns, not a souped up custom. I shoot Tactical. If I were shooting open I would shoot a Saiga, the reloading advantage is huge. I have seen stock Saiga's actually work for an entire match and in the hands of a poor shooter that did very well.

I sold both of my Benelli M-1s and went back to 1100s. I have not had a problem with either one of them. I clean them after a match and run them wet. They will shoot 7/8 oz loads and cycle just fine. I did open up the gas ports on one because it was a field model barrel . The field barrels have smaller gas ports than the target barrels.

I shoot a Remington Tac-4 for 3-gun and have no complains. I took it to the BRM3G and it ran fine all weekend with no cleaning at all. I even managed to break the charging handle on day 2 by slamming it into the plywood barrier. It never missed a beat.

I LOVE seeing good Remy reports! They have taken an undeserved bad rap, IMHO! All guns have their idiosyncrasies. Treat Remies like they should be treated, and they serve you well.

It's sorta like the M16/M4/AR15 controversy. I think it's a great weapon system, but a friend of mine was in Vietnam when they were first issued to the Marines, and he hates them with a passion. You just can't tell him how they are much improved over what was first issued in the field. The M16s just got a lot of Marines killed, and that is all there is to it.

Kinda funny this thread is still going. I believe the original poster bought not 1 but two Benelli M1's

:D

Mike is right. I bought the first M1 off this here forum from boynty77. Thanks Adam! I had already placed what I thought was a low bid on another M1 on gunbroker and won that gun 3 days later. I guess I am going to see which one I like best and put the 2nd for sale.

The main reason I went with the Benelli was that it seemed like there was a little bit of an agreement amongst the bickering that the benelli may require less TLC. Which I read as less cleaning.

Thanks everybody for your input. I hope to meet you guys at some matches once I find an upper.

Edited by Slammer

• 2 months later...
I have been looking high and low for a used Benelli M1 or M2 and have not been able to find one. A new Benelli is just too expensive right now. I found a local guy selling a Remington 1100 Tac 4 with a side saddle for $725. I am seriously thinking about purchasing it so that I can get into the game for a little over half of what the Benelli would cost me. Please help talk me in/out of buying the Remmy.

Thanks!

Jesse

I've owned several Rems over the years, purchasing only the ones with a parkerized matte finish. Traded an 870 in '91. Subsequently, purchased 11-87 Mag and Sportsman in '03 and '08. The latter autos seemed to rusts by the minute. I replaced the 11-87 with a Benellli M-1 which was subsequently traded for the Rem Sportsman in '08. Didn't know about the available parts to set up for three-gun. With mag extension...etc....the gun was HEAVY. Shot very little and started to rust.

Older model Rems parkerized seemed to have a less porous matte finish on them. Newer models rust badly.....I hate oiling guns when I don't use them which this gun will need....total pain in the ass and am too busy to worry about that. However, Remington has treated me well (warranty) and I own several Rem 700s and I would not buy any other rifle for the price. In addition, they are making some pretty cool guns for law enforcement anf military. Maybe they can improve the finish on their shotguns. You could probably find an M-1 used for the price and in my opinion you will have less problems with maintenance with this gun.