Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

31 round SPS 170mm magazine setup

ironb

A guy at a match a few weeks ago was using an SPS mag (170mm) that held 31 rounds. He put one round in his gun, and then put the 31 round magazine in...so he started the stage with 32 rounds (it was a 32 round paper stage)...it let him shoot the entire stage without a reload. I thought that was pretty nifty.

What base pad do you think would work in conjunction with this tube to handle 31 rounds? I think he told me what he had, but I can't remember. I think he said it was a bolen setup.

A guy at a match a few weeks ago was using an SPS mag (170mm) that held 31 rounds. He put one round in his gun, and then put the 31 round magazine in...so he started the stage with 32 rounds (it was a 32 round paper stage)...it let him shoot the entire stage without a reload. I thought that was pretty nifty.

What base pad do you think would work in conjunction with this tube to handle 31 rounds? I think he told me what he had, but I can't remember. I think he said it was a bolen setup.

Yup, Bolen basepad, spring and follower.

Do some research on the SPS tubes before spending your money on one. 31+1 in 9mm or 38SC is done easily enough in an SV tube as well with durable aluminum basepads. 30 of regular super is easy too. It can also be done in an STI tube if you find someone willing to do it for you.

It's hell on springs though... 31 rounds, you are lucky to get five loads out of it without last round issues. I like it to load 30s.

+1 on that. The springs die quickly. To be quite honest, if it was a stand and shoot kind of thing, I can see it making a difference, but when you have movement and can make a reload anyway with little to no lost time, why invest that kind of money for 1 or 2 extra rounds? Is 30 rounds not enough to start with? How many times do you push the envelope before it bites you?

And the BIG question is, did the guy win the stage or did he get beat by someone with a 29+1 magazine?

As for the base pad, it would be a Bolen 7mm, a Grams 7mm, or possibly a DP +2.

Do some research on the SPS tubes before spending your money on one. 31+1 in 9mm or 38SC is done easily enough in an SV tube as well with durable aluminum basepads. 30 of regular super is easy too. It can also be done in an STI tube if you find someone willing to do it for you.

I don't know anyone like that, do you? :roflol:

Have seen some setups..

SPS/SV tubes..lowered notch on mag release, Bolen pads, springs and followers.

don't drop the freakin thing, don't accidentally roll the spring, load to capacity only when needed.

It's hell on springs though... 31 rounds, you are lucky to get five loads out of it without last round issues. I like it to load 30s.

+1 on that. The springs die quickly. To be quite honest, if it was a stand and shoot kind of thing, I can see it making a difference, but when you have movement and can make a reload anyway with little to no lost time, why invest that kind of money for 1 or 2 extra rounds? Is 30 rounds not enough to start with? How many times do you push the envelope before it bites you?

And the BIG question is, did the guy win the stage or did he get beat by someone with a 29+1 magazine?

As for the base pad, it would be a Bolen 7mm, a Grams 7mm, or possibly a DP +2.

99.9% of the time I would agree but I just happened to have squadded with Glenn Higdon at the High Desert this past weekend and watched him smoke the rest of the field on a stage because he was the ONLY person who didn't have to reload. He would have had a good run anyway but it was a HUGE part of the reason he won the stage. There was VERY little room to reload and the way he shot it there was no room to do a reload without killing time.

But on the other hand....I believe that there are very few instances where this would be the case.

Edited by jasmap

If you want a 31rnd mag..get one built..but be sure to have one or two other 28/29rnd mags that you can use to drop on the ground, etc as the 31rnd mag should never touch the ground. :D

I have several 31 round mags in my range bag, I beat the hell out of them, treat them like any other mag. I get 30+ loadings on a spring also. It IS hard on springs, a spring that otherwise would last at least a full season is dead in a couple matches but I get a lot more than 5 loadings, even if you only get 5 or 6 loadings to 31 that should last at least one match if not two. $8-10 more per match really isn't an issue with the gas, match fees, ammo, and everything else you spend IMO.

I have several 31 round mags in my range bag, I beat the hell out of them, treat them like any other mag. I get 30+ loadings on a spring also. It IS hard on springs, a spring that otherwise would last at least a full season is dead in a couple matches but I get a lot more than 5 loadings, even if you only get 5 or 6 loadings to 31 that should last at least one match if not two. $8-10 more per match really isn't an issue with the gas, match fees, ammo, and everything else you spend IMO.

+1.

good to know..thanks Howard

Howard, how often do you recomend changing the springs

in the 9/38 140mm mags with grams 11 coil springs and follower

with a plus 1 pad.

I wasn't bitching Howard, just stating the facts. :/)

The number one thing that is important in a mag is reliabilty, if you can't trust it, it will cost you more in the long run than it will ever do for you with capacity. Last Saturday I was 45 seconds behind my rival after the first stage, Just don't ask how that happened. He had the hi cap tuned mags with the bolens etc, in stage 4 his tuning ran out the mag puked, he cleans mags stage 5 another mag upchuck, I beat him in the match, score one for reliable mags. I didn't miss the extra 3 rounds of capacity.

One salt shaker episode will wreak havoc in a stage, possibly the match..

Edited by CocoBolo

99.9% of the time I would agree but I just happened to have squadded with Glenn Higdon at the High Desert this past weekend and watched him smoke the rest of the field on a stage because he was the ONLY person who didn't have to reload. He would have had a good run anyway but it was a HUGE part of the reason he won the stage. There was VERY little room to reload and the way he shot it there was no room to do a reload without killing time.

Yeah, but how many of us have the nads to shoot a 30 round stage with two Texas stars on it at the crazed speed Glenn did? Wouldn't the fear of a standing reload at the end slow most mere mortals down more than the time spent with a reload? I do have to say that was one of the most impressive stages I have ever seen shot. Amazing.

Yeah, but how many of us have the nads to shoot a 30 round stage with two Texas stars on it at the crazed speed Glenn did? Wouldn't the fear of a standing reload at the end slow most mere mortals down more than the time spent with a reload? I do have to say that was one of the most impressive stages I have ever seen shot. Amazing.

You are right. Glenn had NO fear. He was confident he could do it and he nailed it.

I have 2 of the 31 round Hsmith mags. I load them with 30 when I get to the match and set them in my bag. When/if I need 31 for a stage I put the 31st round in and make a note it was used. I change the springs in these 2 mags after 10 uses. That is normally every 6 months. My first big stick like this I used for every stage I shot for 4 months leading up to the nationals and then for every stage but one at the nationals with no problems at all. then the spring failed on me and it took a couple of matches for me to realize what the problem was. $80 a year for springs is a small price to keep my high dollar open blaster running.

I have 2 of the 31 round Hsmith mags. I load them with 30 when I get to the match and set them in my bag. When/if I need 31 for a stage I put the 31st round in and make a note it was used. I change the springs in these 2 mags after 10 uses. That is normally every 6 months. My first big stick like this I used for every stage I shot for 4 months leading up to the nationals and then for every stage but one at the nationals with no problems at all. then the spring failed on me and it took a couple of matches for me to realize what the problem was. $80 a year for springs is a small price to keep my high dollar open blaster running.

The cost is not really a factor for me but how do you know when to change springs out? Reliability is key in my enjoyment of this sport so is there some definite (100% reliable) indication that a spring needs to be changed out that can be checked prior to a match? I change springs every six months in my SV big sticks with grams guts and I have gone as long as a year, shooting once a weekend, with NO issues. I build in 50% margin on spring life. With a lifetime of 30 loadings, I find it hard to believe that you can do a similiar thing except change them every match.