Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Opinions

RangerTrace

For the last few weeks I have been reading posts, looking at Custom Gun shop websites and making calls to just about everyone I know about the different Open Guns available. Thanks to all of you who answered my questions!

What I learned is that no matter how many good things you hear about a certain builder, you will find at least one (if not more) shooters who have seen a problem, heard of a problem or just don't care for that particular builder.

So, who built your Open Gun?

Edited by rangertrace

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an older gun, built in 1994, that was built by Dawson back when he was at STI from what I have been able to find out through STI. The thing just flat out runs great as long as I don't go cheap and try to save my brass too long. lol

Joe W.

I honestly don't know who built my gun. I am at least the third owner of it and other than cleaning it occasionally and replacing the rare broken part (thumb safety and ejector) it has run flawlessly.

It's a .38 stupor built on an STI frame with a shortie barrel. I just never did ask for the pedigree when I bought it.

fwiw

dj

John Larson - JPL Precision. www.jplprecision.com

I've been really happy with the performance of the gun. John worked with me to make it the gun that would work for me. He recognizes that everyone's shooting style is different, and therefore the guns will all be a little different. The is the point of "custom".

~Mitch

Joe Camperi built my SV. I am the 2nd owner. The reason I bought this gun was that I watched it's previous owner shoot the crap out of it. I saw how reliable it was before he was ready to sell it. Now he always says he wishes he still had it.

I beleive he is from NOLA and out of the business.

I bought a used limited gun from a different guy. Same story, same smith.

I can't say too much about some of the smith's in your poll but I'm sure any of them would do a great job.

I can say alot about Bedell.

He worked on my SVI and did a fantastic job.

I've never had any problems with the gun after he was thru working his magic.

I have a couple of guns that are going to be brought over very soon.

The one nice thing about Dan is that he's only a few minutes down the thru-way from me.

Really nice guy that's very knowledgeable.

I hope to shoot with him sometime!!

My open guns were built by hardy custom in georgia.

I have 2 general comments...

I have shot guns from several of the smiths above. The build quality was uniformly excelent. Any of them will build you an quality gun.

That being said I will second the recomendation of brianatl. Don't under estimate how helpful it is to have your gunsmith close by. When something breaks it always seems to be before a big match.

The other thing that might impact your decision is how soon you want the gun. Some of those guys you list above usually have pretty lengthy backlogs.

Peter Adams

FY-39604

There are so many good smiths out there. I personally have 3 guns built by Millenium (2 LTD and my sons open gun). Have not had one gun related hick-up with any of them other than the sear breaking on one of my LTD guns. I really like Bob's guns and his other work (I only use Brazos tuned mags, front sights, and his trigger kits). I have handled Benny's guns and I really like them, especially his 6" LTD guns. I have also been REALLY impressed with Bedell's guns. I would consider having one built by him if I can go directly to him.

But, loyalty is important to me. Derek has taken care of me over the last few years. No question that I have gotten more than what I have paid for in the guns he has built for me. I can't ask for more..

My problem is that I don't have enough money to buy all of the guns I want!!!

BTW, the Open gun that I was shooting that puked out on me was not built by Derek. It was an economy job that I bought used for my son to start on...

Matt McLearn from M2I build some great blasters and has designed a lot of the stuff for these guns... If I'm not mistaken, he was the one who designed the SC cartridge too.

http://www.mattmclearn.com/index.html

JT

Also, have seen many of Howard works and they all run and look great. I would have had Howard build me a gun already cept I'm always a dollar short.

Two guys that I trust to build guns and are a bit cheaper are Jim Anglin at Sailors and Matt Cheely, who is the most improved builder I know. Matt is really coming into his own style now and I would not hesitate to have him build for me again. (I'm shooting a Cheely open right now. )

Edited by JThompson

But, loyalty is important to me. Derek has taken care of me over the last few years. No question that I have gotten more than what I have paid for in the guns he has built for me. I can't ask for more.

+1