Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who has primers and when

tomfturner

I was looking on Midway, adding up the total for buying only 5k & they went out of stock! hahaha. Oh well, didn't need them, but it was nice to see they got some, anyway. Cost would have been @$37/k delivered!!!!! OUCH!!!! Glad I stocked up last year & previous. Hope what I have lasts until this is over, if it is ever over!

MLM

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Placed the following order with Grafs and Sons at 4:04 AM on 31 May 2009.

2 cases of 5000 - Federal Small Pistol primer #100 - $134 a case

2 cases of 5000 - Winchester Small Pistol primer - $132 a case

1 8lb keg - Hodgdon Varget - $146

Received a call today that the Federal primers and the Varget is in and do I want it shipped? Of course I said yes. The nice lady on the phone offered me the following options on the Winchester primers. 1. They can substitute CCI small pistol in place of the Winchester, 2. I can keep the Winchester on back order, 3. If you really insist we can cancel the Winchester order. Decided to keep the Win on BO.

So, 11 days from date of order I'm at least getting primers and hard to get Varget. What was interesting was that they were willing to substitute CCI for the Win. Nice lady also said that Win primers are trickling in. Asked about CCI and Rem small rifle. None in stock. Shipment should go out tomorrow.

The plot thickens.

Received a call today that the Federal primers and the Varget is in and do I want it shipped? Of course I said yes. The nice lady on the phone offered me the following options on the Winchester primers. 1. They can substitute CCI small pistol in place of the Winchester, 2. I can keep the Winchester on back order, 3. If you really insist we can cancel the Winchester order. Decided to keep the Win on BO.

Wait a minute. Isn't this the same conversation I had in June? Yup. Apparently in the confusion the Fed primers that were shipped in June didn't get struck off the order. So as far as Grafs was concerned the only part of the backorder that was shipped was the powder. I wasn't supposed to get those primers in June as it turned out. That explains how I got them in 11 days instead of 4.5 months.

FWIW: The nice lady on the phone stated that a fairly steady trickle of Fed has been coming in. Not a lot of them but they are coming in. Haven't seen any Win primers of any type at all. SR and LR is sporatic and expect a 6 month delay.

I got a call today that one of my suppliers had 100,000 Win Large Pistol Primers they could ship me. Of course the price has gone up $1.25 per k on them, but they say they are costing them more now. No word on getting any Winchester Small Pistol though, which struck me as kind of odd. Where are all the WSP primers going?

I got a call today that one of my suppliers had 100,000 Win Large Pistol Primers they could ship me. Of course the price has gone up $1.25 per k on them, but they say they are costing them more now. No word on getting any Winchester Small Pistol though, which struck me as kind of odd. Where are all the WSP primers going?

What was the price they were asking?

I figured if Powder valley was taking back orders on federal small pistol match primers I would go ahead and place the order over the weekend. I figured I would be waiting awhile, but I just got notice today that they are shipping. So now I should be set for awhile.

Got a call today that Grafs was shipping my 10K of Federal Small Pistol primers and 8# jug of Titegroup. Both out of stock when ordered on 9/7/09 and both shipping today on one hazardous materials fee :D

Curtis

Got a call today that Grafs was shipping my 10K of Federal Small Pistol primers and 8# jug of Titegroup. Both out of stock when ordered on 9/7/09 and both shipping today on one hazardous materials fee :D
6 weeks is certainly reasonable in todays market. What I don't understand is that my order nearly 5 months ago is now being filled also. Maybe I shouldn't try to figure it out.

Curtis: If you want me to be on the lookout for supplies in the BR area let me know. I've got 2 reloading shops in the area to prowl around.

My suspicion is that Winchester has all their small-size primer machinery dedicated to making either military rifle primers or primers for loaded ammo.

Natchez has Winchester small rifles in stock 5000 limit kinda hurts but at least I have primers in the mail good luck.

I got the e-mail alert too. Picked up 5K WSRs and 8lbs of AA2230; hate ordering such small quantities due to the HAZMAT bite, but wasn't going to pass up the chance to get some WSRs.

I talked with the owner of PV yesterday, checking on my order from April 28th. He said they're shipping orders from the first week of April now, so my order should go out in another few weeks. 6 months wait as of now. I also have backorders at Natchez SS and Grafs, but only for a couple of months as yet.

I talked with the owner of PV yesterday, checking on my order from April 28th. He said they're shipping orders from the first week of April now, so my order should go out in another few weeks. 6 months wait as of now. I also have backorders at Natchez SS and Grafs, but only for a couple of months as yet.

is that a light at the end of the tunnel? (or a train)

I do believe the company's are just making enough primers to supply there ammo manufacturing lines instead of for the reloaders.

Why would they do that? Profit is profit.

A.T.

They make more profit off of selling loaded rounds then just components.

I do believe the company's are just making enough primers to supply there ammo manufacturing lines instead of for the reloaders.

A.T.

I agree, but why would they not make primers for reloading also?

Your comment above says "just making enough primers to supply there ammo manufacturing lines", they would be foolish to forget about all of us.

A.T.

That's silly to even think that.