Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer System Upgrade

I had the primer bar sticking problem on my oldest press. That one turned out to be that the casting with the 2 bolts coming up from the bottom had gotten squished down over time from taking it off and retightening the bolts on assembly. That allows the casting to rub on the top of the

primer slide bar, not giving it clearance to move freely. A new part from Dillon and tightening just enough to hold cured the problem. I think the

real fix is to make that part out of a harder material that can't compress and that holds threads better. That is just a personal opinion tho.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had lots of this problem too, I tried changing to another primer slide, and all problems went away. I then noticed that the original slide had had the roller pin (part #13919) creep a bit outwards, eg. to the right, so that it didn't align properly with the operating rod and the roller in the roller bracket assembly. I then just pushed the pin back, easy enough.

The other problem I have is that sometimes the primers wedge themselves somehow around the primer feed stop pin (14051) and then launch themselves into space after I pull back the slide a few times. :angry2:

Edited by askomiko

WooHoo!!! You can take me off the list!

As a test I swapped out some parts with my local Dillon dealer and realized the problem.

550_PrimerProblem.jpg

The threaded inserts are at a slight angle and, when tightened, cant the assembly enough to drag on the primer bar. I put a different assembly on that had the holes drilled straight and loaded 600 rounds straight without a single problem!

Anybody know if I can order just that bottom piece from Dillon or do I have to get the whole assembly?

As a test I swapped out some parts with my local Dillon dealer and realized the problem.

550_PrimerProblem.jpg

The threaded inserts are at a slight angle and, when tightened, cant the assembly enough to drag on the primer bar. I put a different assembly on that had the holes drilled straight and loaded 600 rounds straight without a single problem!

Anybody know if I can order just that bottom piece from Dillon or do I have to get the whole assembly?

I'd call Dillon and explain what you found that was causing the problem. They might just ship you a new one free under their No BS warranty. Doesn't cost anything to ask!

CYa,

Pat

I don't know how a company can stay in business taking such good care of their customers, but I can guarantee that I will never buy anything else if Dillon makes a competing product!

I've gotta' say, they've earned my loyalty as a customer, it's the least I can offer in return. I don't think I could live with myself otherwise after all they've done for me.

The 550 priming problems reports always surprise me a bit. Because over the years I loaded zillion's of rounds on a 550 with very few priming problems ever. Or none that couldn't be quickly fixed from these guidelines.

Especially the one with the "-> Key" - Getting the angle of the op rod just "out" the perfect amount is huge. Operate the machine, empty, and keep experimenting with the "out angle" of the op rod until you can watch the primer slide track out and back without any "sticking."

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • -> Key: Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

Thank you Brian. After going through these steps my 550 priming "issues" appear to be solved. I just loaded 250 rounds and all the primers felt like they went straight in with little effort. Previously, I was getting a few "crushed" primers every hundred and many others were difficult to seat. I found on my press (purchased used) I did have to adjust the Primer Seating Punch Assembly In the second-to-last bullet I think the dimension should be 1.125 - 1.220.

That's great to hear - thanks for posting.

be

The 550 priming problems reports always surprise me a bit. Because over the years I loaded zillion's of rounds on a 550 with very few priming problems ever. Or none that couldn't be quickly fixed from these guidelines.

Especially the one with the "-> Key" - Getting the angle of the op rod just "out" the perfect amount is huge. Operate the machine, empty, and keep experimenting with the "out angle" of the op rod until you can watch the primer slide track out and back without any "sticking."

• Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)
  • At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.
  • -> Key: Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.
  • Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!
  • Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.
  • Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

Thank you Brian. After going through these steps my 550 priming "issues" appear to be solved. I just loaded 250 rounds and all the primers felt like they went straight in with little effort. Previously, I was getting a few "crushed" primers every hundred and many others were difficult to seat. I found on my press (purchased used) I did have to adjust the Primer Seating Punch Assembly In the second-to-last bullet I think the dimension should be 1.125 - 1.220.

I don't know how a company can stay in business taking such good care of their customers, but I can guarantee that I will never buy anything else if Dillon makes a competing product!

It's how they get new customers...it's why when people like me were shopping for a first press, the only question was which model Dillon to get.

• 1 month later...

I have a new 550 that I ordered through Brian not too long back and have been fighting the primer system ever since. I have tried everything and the problem won't go away. One of the bolts that fasten it to the frame is now stripped and I will call tomorrow to get a replacement. I have an older 550 dating back to the 1980's and I took the primer feed assembly off it and used the primer slide that came with it originally and it works like a dream. The slide is the one with out the metal plate under the slide and it does not have the diagonal grooves on the bottom. The bottom is smooth with a wide groove down the center. I just put it on last night and it is approaching 400 round without a glitch.

My 550B started life as a simple 550. I bought it 2nd hand about 5 years ago and that was after it had been in storage since 1997/8 after the handgun ban over here, and I believe it was used for many years before that.

It is a simple but very efficent design and I'm still happy with it.

However, the main problem i've had in the past and am having now is with a sticking primer bar. I've tried all sorts of remedies but it will still hang every now and again, causing me to stop, ease it forward by hand and carry on.

So, I'm also interested in seeing your new design. Hope you're willing to sell this side of the water!!

Cheers,

Ian C.

You Brits have stood by us when all others have run... How could I not sell to our UK brothers? I just need to get it back and run a few thousand rounds. then I will ship to some friends that load a lot and we will make any needed adjustments. After that we talk to Dillon and see if they want it, if not, then I'll sell direct to you guys.

Best

JT

In the meantime, my 550 priming copy/paste:

• Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

I continue to have enough problems with mine that I watch to make sure a primer is in the cup every time I move the handle. About 2 or 3 out of every hundred fails to pick up a primer. I tweak the rod occasionally and that seems to help for a while. I am curious about the operating rod angle mentioned. Regarding inward and outward. With the rod pointing straight up as mentioned should the end of the rod be pointing to the front or the rear? Mine points to the front probably 5 or 10 degrees. What should I be doing with it? When I tweak I bend it towards the back to a more straight up angle but it seems to make its way back where it started.

I know it is this area where my problems are because if I catch it in time I can flick the platform out and it picks up a primer every time. It just is not 100% moving all the way sometimes.

Thanks

550_PrimerProblem.jpg

I just checked mine, and I have the same tilted screw, but it is the opposite screw from your picture. I will give Dillon a call and try to get another one.

• 2 weeks later...
I continue to have enough problems with mine that I watch to make sure a primer is in the cup every time I move the handle. About 2 or 3 out of every hundred fails to pick up a primer. I tweak the rod occasionally and that seems to help for a while. I am curious about the operating rod angle mentioned. Regarding inward and outward. With the rod pointing straight up as mentioned should the end of the rod be pointing to the front or the rear? Mine points to the front probably 5 or 10 degrees. What should I be doing with it? When I tweak I bend it towards the back to a more straight up angle but it seems to make its way back where it started.

I know it is this area where my problems are because if I catch it in time I can flick the platform out and it picks up a primer every time. It just is not 100% moving all the way sometimes.

Thanks

I think your confused. The operating rod as viewed from in front of the machine rotates front to back on it's horizantal axis. The L/R is what he is talking about. It should be nearly straight up and down but leaning to the right a little is OK.

The other thing is check all the parts. The black primer track bearing (#14015) should be fairly new looking.

For me the biggest issue I have had was super easy to fix. It's very possible to tighten the entire primer housing (#20263) so that the primer slide binds. If the primer slide is not moving smootly front to back then that could easily be your problem. Recenter the housing towards the right and try again.

My 550B started life as a simple 550. I bought it 2nd hand about 5 years ago and that was after it had been in storage since 1997/8 after the handgun ban over here, and I believe it was used for many years before that.

It is a simple but very efficent design and I'm still happy with it.

However, the main problem i've had in the past and am having now is with a sticking primer bar. I've tried all sorts of remedies but it will still hang every now and again, causing me to stop, ease it forward by hand and carry on.

So, I'm also interested in seeing your new design. Hope you're willing to sell this side of the water!!

Cheers,

Ian C.

You Brits have stood by us when all others have run... How could I not sell to our UK brothers? I just need to get it back and run a few thousand rounds. then I will ship to some friends that load a lot and we will make any needed adjustments. After that we talk to Dillon and see if they want it, if not, then I'll sell direct to you guys.

Best

JT

In the meantime, my 550 priming copy/paste:

• Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

Thanks

I think I just figured mine out. Having read Brian's tune up several times I just didn't understand the last bullet point. The primer operating rod bracket had worked itself up the magazine over time, I can see now how the rod levers on it. By lowering the bracket closer to the toolhead I've effectively increased the stroke of the rod at the primer slide. I used a .004" feeler gauge to rest the bracket on while I tightened the retaining bolt. It really wasn't that far away from the toolhead, maybe 1/16 of an inch or so. But about 2 out of every 100 primers would fail to get picked up by the slide. I would just reach down and pull the slide until I saw the primer follower move, very tedious. Just loaded a batch with no problems, just like it used too.

Thanks Brian, it just took me awhile to get it.

Kevin :cheers:

• 1 year later...

Still working it, and a bit frustrated trying to get it the way I want it. As soon as I feel good about bolting it on mine, you guys can have it. That's all I can say....

JT

Anything ever happen with this?

Still working it, and a bit frustrated trying to get it the way I want it. As soon as I feel good about bolting it on mine, you guys can have it. That's all I can say....

JT

Anything ever happen with this?

It's been neglected with a busy life.... it's one of those projects that I will work on this winter when shooting is limited.