Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Nationals - Training for the heat

EricBudd

I'm going to my first Nationals this year in Las Vegas and have started a basic excercise plan (having a goal helps). I looked up historical September temperatures and it looks like I should expect an average daytime high in the mid 90's for the match. Yuck!

I shot the Va/Md sectional last year and the heat (103) really kicked my butt over a 1/2 day 10 stage match. I did the pre-hydrate thing and drank lots of water, but it didn't help too much. What can I do, with 5 months to train, to better handle the heat. It just doesn't get that hot too often NE Pa.

Regards,

Eric

Eric,

I roasted at VA/MD last year also, but the heat in Vegas is VASTLY different. The desert air is much cooler in the shade and the lack of humidity makes the heat far less debilitating. The big trick in the desert is to stay hydrated and covered. The evaporation rate is much higher.

I am also training for nationals and other than getting into fighting shape, I'll be dressed in comfortable loose fitting clothes and a hat.

I would expect it to be substantially hotter than the 90s in mid september.

I shoot here in Mesa through the summer with temps much higher than 90. I will just confirm what others have said. Dry heat isn't the same. Not sure how much shade will be there but to be on the safe side I would being a big ass umbrella. Not just so your squadmates can practice their heckling skills but also because shade is definitely your friend. The amount of time you spend shooting/pasting is minimal at a match. The heat kills you as you sit and wait for your turn in the box.

Mid 90's here in Georgia can be rough, especially with the humidity. Except for the sun, I don't anticipate Vegas being any tougher than here. Usually before a summer match here I like to start drinking excess water several days prior to the match. I also spend a lot of time outdoors acclimating myself. I do have to remember to take a sit down break towards the end of the day, gives me a little pickup for the final stage or two. I've found that if I don't take that little break my focus wanes a tad.

I was born and raised in the hot humid summers of the south. I now live in AZ and I can say for sure that 90 degrees in Mesa is a LOT easier than 90 degrees in the south.

This is definitely true. I grew up in the low desert of SoCal. If you can handle the humid heat of the midwest you will be fine with the dry heat of Vegas. One thing though, that is the time of the monsoon season in the Southwest. You might get an occasional high heat/humidity that will form thunderstorms that time of year. Still, it will be drier than the Southeast. Check the forecast before you go. Good luck!

It is a dry heat. Like an oven or fire. 90 isn't too bad if you stay hydrated. One if the harder things to realize is that if it is dry enough you won't be covered in sweat since it will quickly evaporate and some people don't realize how much fluid they are losing.

Do some CF WODs outside in the heat. Make sure you hydrate properly and listen to your body, but that's as good of a way as I know to acclimate your body to a certain variable.

Ditto... get out in the heat and bust some rear end. Get used to the heat, and your body will be acclimated in plenty of time for the Nationals. ;)

Don't worry about it... it isn't a problem.... really....

I am just trying to give myself and the Vegas locals an unfair advantage since we are used to it. ;)

I don't know of an exercise routine to help tremendously, but I will share desert survival tactics as used by a 10+ year resident.

+10,000 on staying hydrated. The heat, dry air and constant wind will dessicate you if you aren't careful (think "shooter jerky"). Plan on drinking at least 1.5 gallons of water per day. First thing in the morning, drink at least 1 pint (2 would be better). Then at least 1 pint every 2 hours- regardless of whether you feel thirsty or not. There is no benefit to sipping, the best place to store water is in your body. If you start to feel sleepy, confused or disconnected, DRINK A QUART OF WATER IMMEDIATELY! Then sit down in the shade and wait for 20 minutes. If you do drink Sportsdrinks, cut them with water by at least 1/2. The sugar will start to make you sick. My rule is one sports drink for ever 3-4 pints of water. If you are a caffeine addict (like me), you will need to have some caffeine during the day- since all of the water is flushing it out of your system. I stick with tea or a small cup of coffee with lunch- Red Bull and heat don't mix!

try heat gear for shirts. A lot of people will long sleeves to keep the sun off their arms. Heat gear does work. Sunscreen, a hat, more sunscreen, something to sit on. Start drinking on the first stage and do not stop. A bottle per stage minimum. There was something written about a 10% reduction in hydration results in a 40% reduction in performance.

Don't worry about it... it isn't a problem.... really....

I am just trying to give myself and the Vegas locals an unfair advantage since we are used to it. ;)

I don't know of an exercise routine to help tremendously, but I will share desert survival tactics as used by a 10+ year resident.

+10,000 on staying hydrated. The heat, dry air and constant wind will dessicate you if you aren't careful (think "shooter jerky"). Plan on drinking at least 1.5 gallons of water per day. First thing in the morning, drink at least 1 pint (2 would be better). Then at least 1 pint every 2 hours- regardless of whether you feel thirsty or not. There is no benefit to sipping, the best place to store water is in your body. If you start to feel sleepy, confused or disconnected, DRINK A QUART OF WATER IMMEDIATELY! Then sit down in the shade and wait for 20 minutes. If you do drink Sportsdrinks, cut them with water by at least 1/2. The sugar will start to make you sick. My rule is one sports drink for ever 3-4 pints of water. If you are a caffeine addict (like me), you will need to have some caffeine during the day- since all of the water is flushing it out of your system. I stick with tea or a small cup of coffee with lunch- Red Bull and heat don't mix!

This covers a lot of territory - pay attention to what he said.

One more thing, get a hat, a real hat. Go to a real hat store and get something in straw, maybe a Panama style. Akubra and Stetson and others have stuff that works. The baseball thing that most folks use really doesn't cut it in the desert if you have to be outside all day, out in the real sun.

• 4 weeks later...

Being from Kansas, the summers here are hot and mighty humid so the change to a hot and dry area will be a nice change. I have a few long sleeved UA type shirts that worked great for me when I was in Egypt, it got to over 110 while I was there and I did fine, along with a CamelBack pack which will be loaded with ice and water every morning. Throw on a hat, sun screen and extra water whenever I can get my hands on it I hope to do well.

In the weeks leading up to the match I plan on spending more and more time outdoors in the heat to get my body adjusted to it and hopefully the match won't take its toll on me.

Joe W.

• 1 month later...

I moved here from Alaska and was pretty worried about the heat.

It is nothing like coastal humid heat. I can shoot for hours out here with a little shade and something to drink.

If there is shade it will be ok :)

90 degrees in Vegas, in September is NOTHING. It'll feel like the high 70's to mid 80's. The air is dry and that helps more than can be expressed. Normal pre-hydration is going to be a key, but maintaining your hydration through the day as well as keeping up with your sugar levels will help too. Basically, for each day on the range, take 1-2 liters of water and 2-3 snack bars and you'll be fine. Spend the 2-3 days prior hydrating (about a gallon a day not including meals) and the evenings after a day of shooting in recovery (about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon of water or 50/50 water/gatorade).

I pulled a lot of missions while deployed and pre-hydrating was key, but maintaining that hydration and keeping good calories and sugars is what kept us crankin'.

Rich

You might give these a look...I'm not affiliated but their stuff really works well...long sleeves and pants seems counter-intuitive but your providing your own shade.

http://www.railriders.com/

These are very popular with the adventure racing set...

I have been using long sleeve white shirts and long pants for a couple years now and it works fine. To point out the obvious, look at the cultures that have been living in the desert for generations. ;) No shorts and tank tops there!

Also consider the range location which is pretty close to the mountains where its about 10 degrees lower than everywhere else. With the afternoon breeze, it'll be perfect around that area.