Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does this picture bother you?

I am a moderator on another forum, and this picture was posted on a thread discussing carry guns.

I ended up jumping the guy's ass. Two members came to his defense stating they didn't see a safety concern since the gun was probably unloaded and if we didn't use some common sense we'd never be able to clean our guns or go to a gun show.

Did I overreact? Am I in the twilight zone?

Edited by CSEMARTIN

I am a moderator on another forum, and this picture was posted on a thread discussing carry guns.

I ended up jumping the guy's ass. Two members came to his defense stating they didn't see a safety concern since the gun was probably unloaded and if we didn't use some common sense we'd never be able to clean our guns or go to a gun show.

Did I overreact? Am I in the twilight zone?

I think it was Col Jeff Cooper who wrote about the four safety rules:

1 - EVERY GUN IS A LOADED GUN

2 - Never point a gun at anything you don't intend to destroy

3 - Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire

4 - Be sure of your target and everything behind your target.

Edited by MT_Bear

Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection at work...

"This 'weeding out' of less suited organisms and the reward of survival to those better suited led Darwin to deduce that organisms had evolved over time, where the most desirable characteristics of a species are favoured and those organisms who exhibit them survive to pass their genes on."

Did I overreact?

Maybee a little, though you made a good point, I'm sure.

I have yet to see a 1911, hammer down, go bang in ones hand. That is no excuse for poor gun handling safety. In person I would have corrected him in an instant. In a photo on the internet I would have let it go.

The photograph would have been just as effective if the gun hand been pointed in the proper and safe direction. The subject is obviously an accident looking for a place to happen.

Makes me cringe to look at it...

Also, comment about Gun shows is accurate, muzzle covering you at all times. Pointed right at you as walk the aisle. :angry2:

At a local gun shop and had the owners daughter pick up a new model she thought looked "cool" and sighted at ME across the shop. Don't shop there anymore.

You can never be too rich, too thin or too SAFE. I think you were right. Just the other day my dad came over to look at one of my guns in my safe. He took the gun from the safe and didn't check to see if it was unloaded (which it was). I jumped on him for not checking. He's been shooting for 50 years.

Edited by speculatorking

I think I've treated 3 or 4 gunshot wounds over the last year from people who were cleaning their guns and thought they were unloaded. That picture was an opportunity to educate. Good job.

The old "it went off when I was cleaning it" is another way of saying "I was screwing around with a loaded gun and screwed up".

Took a class to get a Utah CC permit last fall. The instructor stood down range while we were doing drills. He said, "Don't worry, I'm used to having guns pointed at me. We do it in our law enforcement classes all the time." Nobody in the class was willing to sweep him. To me, his words sounded way too much like the words out of the DEA guy showing the school kids his "GLOCK Fourty."

Accidents happen, proper handling of the weapon will make the accident embarassing rather than painful or deadly.

You can't walk into a gunshow or a gunshop withput being covered by a muzzle at some point. For that matter at most matches you may well be covered by a muzzle at some point, the gun may be in a shooting bag being taken out of a car trunk or the bed of a truck etc.. If a person is touching a gun, it should be pointed in a safe directon. Anytime I hand someone a gun I check it before giving it to them, when they give it back I check it again. If they fail to check it when I gave it to them, I try to educate them, some appreciate it, some don't.

A thruthfully answered survey of this list would produce dozens, if not hundreds of stories of accidental discharges of weapons. If you exercise proper muzzle control, the TV, clock, painting, wall etc. gets damaged. Your ears may ring, the wife may yell something "what the hell are you doing" or "I hope you didn't shoot yourself". If it happens, hopefully it winds up being an educational experience, without anyone getting hurt.