Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bagging your gun between stages

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...
I don't bag my gun between stages but I can see the advantage when I'm RO'ing. Might be easier to keep up with the young fast shooters plus I wouldn't have to worry about knocking my gun off on a wall or something.

If you got yourself a decent holster that would not be an issue. I can understand why you would be hesitant to go near safe areas though. I never saw a holster more safe area drop prone that yours. :rolleyes:

Yup! That's another duty for the RO :) I've seen ROs hold the gun rug throughout the COF and hands it back to the shooter to bag the pistol.

I must have missed this as one of my duties and responsibilities during RO class. You can unbag and hand it to me but I am going to hand it off to someone else so I can do my real job. Doesn't mean I won't let you rebag after HDH but I can't give RIC until you have quit handling your gun so all it does is slow range clearance time.

Yup! That's another duty for the RO :) I've seen ROs hold the gun rug throughout the COF and hands it back to the shooter to bag the pistol.

I must have missed this as one of my duties and responsibilities during RO class. You can unbag and hand it to me but I am going to hand it off to someone else so I can do my real job. Doesn't mean I won't let you rebag after HDH but I can't give RIC until you have quit handling your gun so all it does is slow range clearance time.

Ya, I don't want a timer in one hand and a rug in the other.... I would prob hand it off to the other RO, he could just stick it under his clipboard and not impair his duties. I want at least one hand free in case I need to control a gun/shooter.

I've never seen it that much, never do it myself, and I shoot production with 6 mags on my belt.

The extra weight is not that much - if it is anything it is conditioning for the body. Not a slam but if that bit of weight is that much of a problem, maybe in the wrong game. Also seems a nice way to avoid getting to paste and set steel, especially if you have to go away from the bay to a safety area.

Edited by vluc

In the CCS at least 50% of the shooters seem to do this, especially if they're using a Ghost, Guga or Limcat holster. When I'm squad mom and running timer, I like to do it, so it's easier to move. I noticed not as many people do it in NWS. I guess it's a bit of a cultural preference.

~Mitch

I don't know what IYFHDH means without googling it, but if you are going to bag your gun and not get DQ'ed, you probably need to go to a safe area :rolleyes:

dj

If Your Finished, Hammer Down, Holster.

A.T.

:sick: WTF

Edited by Gary Stevens

I didnt used to do it, matter of fact, when shooting up in oregon, where it seems EVERYONE wasdoing it, ribbed them constantly about it, buuuut after you drop a couple blasters on the ground(or heaven forbid the concrete of indoors) doing duties and RO'ing, plus the back is startin to go south on me, as long as there are safe area's close by ill do it

I have had zero problems carry a gun rag in one hand and a timer in the other.

The transfer is another story. I had a shooter that I went to give the gun rug back to...he thought I was gonna hold it for him while he put his gun in it. We didn't almost drop the gun, but it did light up our radar real quick.

I started out shooting Steel Challenge before USPSA. The shooter who I learned from alway bagged his gun so I did too.

I bag it when shooting USPSA but it is a little more complicated. I've never had an RO refuse to hold the rug. It is more of a habit for me than anything else.

The biggest advantage for me is the walk through. I was constantly worried about dropping the gun after doing so at the 2007 L10 nationals, so I was going through my dry runs in slow motion. Without the gun, I can dry run as fast as I want, which did decrease my stage times.

I guess this won't make me the most popular RO type on the forum, but unless there isn't a safety area reasonably close by, bagging and unbagging on the line is not one of my favorite things.

At a local match, not so much of a problem. At a major match, with over a hundred shooters per day to get through a stage it does make a difference. Adding even 30 seconds per shooter adds up over the course of the day. I have never rushed any shooter during their make ready time as it is important to them. However, my RO crew getting a break between squads is important to me also. I have had RO's be put out because of the heat and it wasn't pretty. Being in the heat, cold, rain, etc. for more time than is necessary is not fair to them either.

If there is a safety area you can use, think about using it rather than doing it on the line and just adding to the RO's time on their feet.

Edited by Gary Stevens

Conversely, if anyone here shot the last NM state match and delt with the sand storms bagging the gun and not dealing with everyone's guns going into death-jam mode was well worth the 30 seconds. I rarely bag after shooting, but I did the second day of this match. It was worth every second.

I guess it just depends on which side of the timer you are on. It isn't the bagging, it is the doing it on the line that creates the issue. I don't normally allow it on my stage. Just the way it is. Come to the line ready to shoot, when you are finished leave. It works out fairly well that way.

I expect those who are "baggers" will not be converted, nor will I. Probably the way it should be.

No bagging on the line, when I'm RO'ing. I patiently and graciously point you in the direction of the safe area that we have at basically EVERY bay and let you know you can do it over there. Worst range I've ever seen still has one ever 2-3 bays apart. Or...carry it. No conditions are worse than shooting at Washoe range in Reno. 1998 Area 1 we just used the shower caps from the hotel. ;)

Of course...it helps having guns built by gunsmiths that can make a gun run in just about anything. :D

Rich

I guess this won't make me the most popular RO type on the forum, but unless there isn't a safety area reasonably close by, bagging and unbagging on the line is not one of my favorite things.

At a local match, not so much of a problem. At a major match, with over a hundred shooters per day to get through a stage it does make a difference. Adding even 30 seconds per shooter adds up over the course of the day. I have never rushed any shooter during their make ready time as it is important to them. However, my RO crew getting a break between squads is important to me also. I have had RO's be put out because of the heat and it wasn't pretty. Being in the heat, cold, rain, etc. for more time than is necessary is not fair to them either.

If there is a safety area you can use, think about using it rather than doing it on the line and just adding to the RO's time on their feet.

I hope you are my CRO for working the Nationals because I like how you think.

I hope you are my CRO for working the Nationals because I like how you think.

I don't know one time in TN as RM he took like five-eight minutes to give me my edge D hit.

That was as close as I have ever seen huh Gary :D

I agree that bagging on line is not encouraged and frankly I dont see why except for a very very windy dusty range.