Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best open Red Dot Sight

JoeGlocker

+1 C-More, Aimpoint is heavyer, bigger and blocks more eye visibility. I think there is not much of height difference tho.

Actually you are wrong on ALL of these issues. The weight difference is insignificant (barely an ounce on the XDs), as long as you shoot with a target focus you wont see the tube at all, and the aimpoint dot is much closer to the slide by at least the height of the Cmore housing and the thickness of the mount (an inch or more). But hey, you were close :)

See, now you're the one wrong on something ;)

With a Barry or Quinn mount the dot on a C-more can be at least as low as you can get with an Aimpoint and possibly lower. My old gun has an Aimpoint on it and next to my Bedell with a Quinn, the dot on the Bedell is lower....and that one isn't as low as it could be (they're tweaking the design a bit).

Try telling some of the guys here that an ounce doesn't mean anything and they're not going to buy it. But hey, you were close too! :roflol:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rigger:

Sorry I haven't replied. I have been very busy lately. Anyways that is so odd that you have had those problems with your Oko. Mine has fortunately never missed a beat... so far (KNOCK ON WOOD). I have the Sti mount and I would tighten the screws down until snug. I would check the mount after every match to see if any backed out from recoil. When my Oko craps I will most likely move onto a cmore. No point in really trying to find them out there anymore unless they are dirt cheap.

Well when they work, and the one on my Open .40 hasn't puked yet, I've had my best success with a Tasco PDP5.

Gino, I started in open with PDP3s but they only lasted 2K-3K rounds before they went intermittent. I went through 3-4 of them in less than a year before I switched to Aimpoints. Based on the experience of others, the lifetime seemed quite variable depending on the vintage as well.

I posted in the "Open 40" thread that I went through two Aimpoint Comps before settling on the PDP5, mainly 'cause you can get them on eBay for about $40.00 these days when someone wants to sell one. I only get the Japanese made PDP4's and 5's not the Chinese made ones. Too bad Dr. Dot isn't around anymore, I've got about five I'd like "bulletproofed."

Still seem to be quite a few of the TASCOs around for less than $100. My .22 steel gun is a Ruger MKII greatly improved by charlie Granger with a TASCO PDP3 and Weigand mount. Is there an easy way to tell where they were built?

I'll look at an eBay item if it says "made in Japan." I'm pretty sure all the PDP4's and 5's were made in Japan. Anything current is still out of China. If it comes in its original box and the box is black and gray with a grid on it, it's probably from Japan. If it's got a slanted front end it's probably from Japan. In the PDP3's if it has the screw in tubes to extend the mounting surfaces, it's probably from Japan. I'll go look at mine to see if "Made in Japan" is stamped anywhere on them.

While I'm still leery about stuff coming from China, since it's so hit or miss whether you'll get the real deal or lead painted toys or doctored dog food, I do have a Chinese Tasco 6 X 24 on my .17 HMR and it works fine. And I'd still recommend a Thinkpad to anyone even though they're not only made there now but owned there too.

+1 C-More, Aimpoint is heavyer, bigger and blocks more eye visibility. I think there is not much of height difference tho.

Actually you are wrong on ALL of these issues. The weight difference is insignificant (barely an ounce on the XDs), as long as you shoot with a target focus you wont see the tube at all, and the aimpoint dot is much closer to the slide by at least the height of the Cmore housing and the thickness of the mount (an inch or more). But hey, you were close :)

See, now you're the one wrong on something ;)

With a Barry or Quinn mount the dot on a C-more can be at least as low as you can get with an Aimpoint and possibly lower. My old gun has an Aimpoint on it and next to my Bedell with a Quinn, the dot on the Bedell is lower....and that one isn't as low as it could be (they're tweaking the design a bit).

Try telling some of the guys here that an ounce doesn't mean anything and they're not going to buy it. But hey, you were close too! :roflol:

+1

The dot is low with a Barry or Quinn mount. Aimpoint isn't any lower.

Rigger:

Sorry I haven't replied. I have been very busy lately. Anyways that is so odd that you have had those problems with your Oko. Mine has fortunately never missed a beat... so far (KNOCK ON WOOD). I have the Sti mount and I would tighten the screws down until snug. I would check the mount after every match to see if any backed out from recoil. When my Oko craps I will most likely move onto a cmore. No point in really trying to find them out there anymore unless they are dirt cheap.

guess I'm just cursed I guess, the mount is probably tweaking/twisting the sight.

jj

At a match last month, Don Bednorz was running a Doctor on his open gun, and when I asked him why, he said that he doesn't have to worry about ejection tuning and since he really loves shooting 3 gun, he can put he open gun into a real holster and not worry about droping it.

Aimpoint Micro is where it's at! Just started shooting one, I was concerned that the small window and dot might be a problem, but it has turned out to be a non-issue. The thing is so bright that it is easy to pick up no matter the light conditions, and if you're shooting in the rain, the Aimpoint dot will NOT flare if the screen gets wet.

BJ, Who's mount are you using? Got a pic of it?

Larry,

Right now, I've got several different mounts, one is the Pic rail for my TacSol 2211 conversion, I just got an MC Guns mount for my 1911, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, and the last is a little un-traditional. Jerry Miculek and I thought of just about every way to mount a scope on the slide of an M&P and finally settled on milling a flat on the slide and screwing a Pic rail down to it. It seems to be working good right now, I'll post pics once I get the slide bead blasted.

Aimpoint Micro is where it's at! Just started shooting one, I was concerned that the small window and dot might be a problem, but it has turned out to be a non-issue.

So, the 4 MOA dot isn't proving to be a disadvantage for you?

Aimpoint Micro is where it's at! Just started shooting one, I was concerned that the small window and dot might be a problem, but it has turned out to be a non-issue.

So, the 4 MOA dot isn't proving to be a disadvantage for you?

Since my wife and I run Aimpoint Comp XDs now, I had considered the micro as soon as it was announced. What kept me from making that jump was the small 4 MOA dot. I now am wondering if that is a bit of bad judgment on my part. I had a 10 MOA on my current scope and just aquired another used XD that has a 7 MOA that is a bit brighter than the 10. After playing with both for a while, it seems that the brighter but smaller dot may be quicker to aquire. BJ, are you finding this to be true?

A GM buddy of mine swears by using the smallest dot that you can see in all lighing conditions. You can pick up the dot and you can see more of the target for the long shots. This method is only important if you care about points. :rolleyes:

Later,

Chuck

I've been using an Aimpoint Micro since last year. The dot size is a non-issue. It's so bright that the eye picks it up instantly, still haven't used the highest intensity setting.

I may have to roll up to CO sometime to see what that looks like. I just can not force myself to drop the big bucks on one just to see if I like it. Looks like it may be Aimpoint fans only option now though since the Comp Cs have been discontinued. I love the dot on my Comp C but it is........ a big ass optic.

Edited to add: How does the size of the micro window compare to a C-more and Comp C?

Edited by Neomet

I was using a 6 moa dot on my C-more's, the aimpoint I put on has a 3 min dot. I don't think I would go back it is so much better for the tuff shots, and like BritinUSA said the dot is so bright (and round) you can't miss it on the close stuff. I want to try a micro, but it could be an expencive experiment.

Dave,

After a small adjustment period, is really hasn't been a problem. I've been to the US warehouse for Aimpoint, and was given a rundown of how the sights are made in Sweden, everything in the scope is bullet-proof (and thats not just a claim, they have scopes on display that have been shot, blown-up run, over by 18-wheelers, etc, every single one still works as designed/built). Not a knock on C-More, but to get a dot that is as bright, round and big as an Aimpoint, the dot size has to be twice as big. A 7 MOA CSM looks as big or bigger than a 12 MOA C-More. Ditto on the Micro, the 4 MOA is so bright, it looks like a 8 MOA on my C-More. And I'm going to say it again, since it's a sealed unit, you will NOT have a million different dots on your screen if it starts raining, Aimpoint's are the only scope that can used in any, and I mean any weather conditions you can come up with and the usability of it not degrading at all.

And now to make things even more interesting rumor now has it that C-more is coming out with a new lighter, smaller, longer battery live version within the next couple of months. I still can't imagine the dot will be better than an Aimpoint simply because of the difference in basic designs.

And now to make things even more interesting rumor now has it that C-more is coming out with a new lighter, smaller, longer battery live version within the next couple of months. I still can't imagine the dot will be better than an Aimpoint simply because of the difference in basic designs.

I'm not too concerned about smaller or lighter, but if it's also shorter, that would have me interested.

Yup, the design of the aimpoint has MANY advantages over the single lens systems and they are so much more robust than the plastic bodied version of the cmore. To each his own, though. Hopefully the micro T-1 will come down in price and I hope they come out with a version that can be mounted in a split ring mount instead of the pic rail. That thing IS a bit overpriced at almost $600. While doing some research on the T-1, I noticed that Sig has a similar small tube sight out now. Anyone seen one up close?

Edited by larry cazes

I looked around and found them for about $500 but that still over double a C-More cost. Guess I need to see one up close and personal before I'd be willing to shell out that kind of scratch.

Sig sight

It's not the same as Aimpoint's micro. The knob positions are reversed & the cost is much lower - too low to be made in Germany or Switzerland is my guess.

Also the weaver base on the Aimoint is removable. It leaves a dove-tail kind of fitting that sits nice and low on the Millennium Custom mount. It's held in place by 4 small screws.

Dave,

After a small adjustment period, is really hasn't been a problem. I've been to the US warehouse for Aimpoint, and was given a rundown of how the sights are made in Sweden, everything in the scope is bullet-proof (and thats not just a claim, they have scopes on display that have been shot, blown-up run, over by 18-wheelers, etc, every single one still works as designed/built). Not a knock on C-More, but to get a dot that is as bright, round and big as an Aimpoint, the dot size has to be twice as big. A 7 MOA CSM looks as big or bigger than a 12 MOA C-More. Ditto on the Micro, the 4 MOA is so bright, it looks like a 8 MOA on my C-More. And I'm going to say it again, since it's a sealed unit, you will NOT have a million different dots on your screen if it starts raining, Aimpoint's are the only scope that can used in any, and I mean any weather conditions you can come up with and the usability of it not degrading at all.

BJ:

I'm with you I won't be going back to a C-more, I put an Aimpoint on the pistol after area II

I just shot my new open project with an Aimpoint (mounted as low as possible, tube is .100" over flat top slide) and compared it back to back with a 9 Major with a C-more. Wow, glad I went with the Aimpoint. It felt like a full inch difference in height. I actually like looking through the tube better too. My eye aligns the tube pretty easy and the dot is...just there...where it's supposed to be.