Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best open Red Dot Sight

JoeGlocker

I just shot my new open project with an Aimpoint (mounted as low as possible, tube is .100" over flat top slide) and compared it back to back with a 9 Major with a C-more. Wow, glad I went with the Aimpoint. It felt like a full inch difference in height. I actually like looking through the tube better too. My eye aligns the tube pretty easy and the dot is...just there...where it's supposed to be.

Yup, been using Aimpoints for 2+ years and this is my experience as well. I dont practice much outside of matches these days since we are so busy with our business and I can switch from my iron sighted guns to the tubes without any adjustments needed.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all of these posts and hearing about the positive aspects of the Aimpoints, I decided to buy one. I picked up the Aimpoint Micro H-1 a few days ago and then ordered the mount from Derrick. The mount should be here by Wednesday. I hope to get it sited in and give it a whirl on Saturday. I'm very interested with the idea of the whole unit sitting much lower on my pistol. A question I do have is, what happens if the red dot sites lower than the sites on my limited gun does? hahaha.

My C-more has been working perfect on my open pistol, and it was rather tough for me make this switch, but I think it will be a switch for the better. I was used to a tube style red dot optic because I used to be a bullseye shooter.

I must say this Aimpoint H1 is built like a tank.

If this works out, there will be a black slide ride click switch Cmore up for sale very shortly.

After reading all of these posts and hearing about the positive aspects of the Aimpoints, I decided to buy one. I picked up the Aimpoint Micro H-1 a few days ago and then ordered the mount from Derrick. The mount should be here by Wednesday. I hope to get it sited in and give it a whirl on Saturday. I'm very interested with the idea of the whole unit sitting much lower on my pistol. A question I do have is, what happens if the red dot sites lower than the sites on my limited gun does? hahaha.

My C-more has been working perfect on my open pistol, and it was rather tough for me make this switch, but I think it will be a switch for the better. I was used to a tube style red dot optic because I used to be a bullseye shooter.

I must say this Aimpoint H1 is built like a tank.

If this works out, there will be a black slide ride click switch Cmore up for sale very shortly.

Good to hear, please keep us up to date on how it works out.

Zerwas

I think you will be happy with the sight - the hardest decision for most people is to actually buy one. Besides a bright dot, a ROUND dot, easy adjustments, and no parallax, there is another cool thing about an Aimpoint -

If a stage designer gives you a foot fault, shoot-around a wall position, like some crazy 45-degree angle behind the wall, you can wrap your off-hand over the top of the scope and shoot that way. You have so much leverage, the gun barely moves at all. Slide is moving a little closer to you your face but it wont hit you, esp if you practice it once. Around the left side of a wall, it works well shooting left-handed, right hand wrapped over the scope. Ejected brass should clear but practice & be sure.

Have fun.

Edited by eric nielsen

From the Aimpoint website:

WARRANTY

Aimpoint guarantees this product to be free from original manufacturer defects in material and/or workmanship under normal use for a period of 2 years for professional or competition use and 10 years for personal use from the date of purchase.

The warranty is valid provided that the sight has not been misused, disassembled or tampered with in any way. Any attempt to disassemble or repair the product will void the warranty.

This warranty agreement is limited to the original owner and is not transferable.

Any warranty claim must be accompanied by a copy of the original receipt showing date of purchase.

They fixed my 1994 scope in 2006 - absolutely free.

The adjustments dials for windage & elevation can get their threads worn down if you put a bizillion rounds on the gun. That's just about the only thing that ever goes wrong. Mechanically they are very simple.

Have to add that C-More was also very good to me on several occasions. 2 great companies to deal with.

That's actually a cool looking mount... Too bad its on the wrong side of the gun, vs. most of the one sided mounts out there...

Yeah, though it should not matter with regard to ejection. With the slide all the way back the ejection port is way past the scope. I used to have a similar setup back in 1993. No ejection issues whatsoever.

Another plus is how low it sits to the slide, about the same as those sideways C-More mounts...

DAA_micromount2.jpg

That's actually a cool looking mount... Too bad its on the wrong side of the gun, vs. most of the one sided mounts out there...

On the plus side, it means a right handed shooter might be able disassemble the gun without removing the slideracker every time...

Good to hear, please keep us up to date on how it works out.

Well, thru NO fault of Derek, the mount finally made it today (1 day before the match tomorrow). It took just a little bit to get it installed, but it was simple. I measured the Aimpoint at 2.98oz and the mount from Millennium Custom weighs in at 1.31 oz. This combination was 1.6oz lighter than the Cmore set up I had on the pistol.

I was impressed with how low this optic sits on the pistol. I measured the middle of the optic lense about 3/4" from the top of the slide. This is much lower than the Cmore set up that was on the pistol. It didn't take too many rounds to site it in, although I kept shooting after it was all sighted in...

I do have questions on the bullet drop and how the height of this optic makes that bullet drop different (or does it?) from the Cmore to the Aimpoint for close up targets vs distance targets.

Anyway, like BJ said, there is a really short transition period to get used to the Aimpoint vs the Cmore. I like the smaller size of this Aimpoint vs the Cmore, as I can grab the back of the slide easier on those "certain" stages where we have to load up after the buzzer goes beep. The smaller optic window is a non issue as BJ said.

I had zero issues with any malfunctions with the new Aimpoint mount (my extractor/ejector must be tuned... :rolleyes: ).

Did I mention I really like the fact the optic is lower on the pistol?

I will be using the pistol in a match tomorrow and I will be up against some good competition (Sherwyn and Nick G.) so I'll report in and let ya'll know how it went with it's first run outing.

You still have to hold over no-shoots placed very close [less than 7-8 yards] but less than half the hold-over needed with a C-More. I would just sight in for 25 yards & hold over about an inch for targets in very close.

Saul's mount has to be on the right side because of where the knobs are vs. where the dovetail is. Maybe there is a way to cut a dovetail into the left side like Dave Dawson used to do with PDP3's but I doubt it. The Rescomp & MCG mounts are pretty low if you want it on the left side. With a racker, the right side mount would be very convenient.

You still have to hold over no-shoots placed very close [less than 7-8 yards] but less than half the hold-over needed with a C-More. I would just sight in for 25 yards & hold over about an inch for targets in very close.

Saul's mount has to be on the right side because of where the knobs are vs. where the dovetail is. Maybe there is a way to cut a dovetail into the left side like Dave Dawson used to do with PDP3's but I doubt it. The Rescomp & MCG mounts are pretty low if you want it on the left side. With a racker, the right side mount would be very convenient.

Eric,

Thank you VERY much for the info!! I'll use it tomorrow if and when I get faced with that situation. I sited in SPOT ON at 17 yards which translates into top of dot at 50 yards.

Just a small update from yesterday's first match with the Aimpoint...

We had full sunshine in the am. The clouds moved in midway thru the match to give us overcast conditions. An hour later all the clouds moved out so we had full sunshine once again. We had a table start for 2 strings on a single stage. We had a strong hand only stage thrown in for good measure.

I turned the brightness control up to 10 when it was sunny out, and down to 8-9 when it became overcast. The dot was plenty bright at 11 and I didn't feel the need to click it up to the max (12). I personally like the smaller dot size as I was shooting a Cmore with a 6moa dot, so the 4moa Aimpoint works for me.

I had ZERO problems picking up the dot in any of my stages/draws to include the strong hand only string.

I will be evaluating this optic even more over the next few weeks (double tap coming up at the end of the month!!!) and I will chime in with my evaluation for those interested in the Aimpoint Micro dot.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience with the new SIG micro tube sight? I looked at one yesterday and it looks very nicely built, is maybe 25%-30% smaller than the Aimpoint, and is less than half the price. It comes with a rail but it appears that the rail may be removable leaving 4 screw holes to mount to.

• 2 weeks later...
Let us know how you like your Aimpoint Mikro sight and what you think about it.

Just a little update on the Aimpoint...I shot it down at the Texas Double Tap Championship. I had ZERO issues with finding the dot and I discovered I didn't have to think of dot placement on the really close up targets. It held point of aim after the flight/baggage handling from the TSA agent who decided to throw it a few feet onto the conveyor belt. Lord know what happened after it got close to the belly of the plane. Doesn't matter though, the Aimpoint still held zero.

No worries on the Aimpoint. It is a great site.

I highly recommend this site to all of you all trying to decide which optic to get. I know many think $500+ dollars is a ton of money to spend (me included), but I'd bet I'll have an optic that will last a very long time. I am happy I purchased this one!

Let us know how you like your Aimpoint Mikro sight and what you think about it.

Just a little update on the Aimpoint...I shot it down at the Texas Double Tap Championship. I had ZERO issues with finding the dot and I discovered I didn't have to think of dot placement on the really close up targets. It held point of aim after the flight/baggage handling from the TSA agent who decided to throw it a few feet onto the conveyor belt. Lord know what happened after it got close to the belly of the plane. Doesn't matter though, the Aimpoint still held zero.

No worries on the Aimpoint. It is a great site.

I highly recommend this site to all of you all trying to decide which optic to get. I know many think $500+ dollars is a ton of money to spend (me included), but I'd bet I'll have an optic that will last a very long time. I am happy I purchased this one!

Sounds great. They are quite a bit overpriced based on previous products like the Comp C. I trust the product and company, though, and that makes it worth the added expense to me. Thanks for the update.

Zerwas,

How is it with swingers? That seems to have been the issue with some shooters.

We only had 1 swinger at the DTC and it was soooo close the dot wasn't even needed. We did have a couple of drop turners and a couple of sliders in the match. The dot wasn't any issue at all in any of those cases.

We had overcast and cold conditions (well documented) and very sunny conditions. I found I usually dialed it up to 10 on the overcast days and up to 11 on the sunny days. I think I cranked it up to 12 for one stage and it wasn't necessary. I just wanted to try it once.

• 2 weeks later...