Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best open Red Dot Sight

JoeGlocker

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two totally different animals really. The Doctor winds up costing twice what the C-more does and if you don't get it Bevenized, it's not going to last. The Doctor also doesn't offer the multiple different dot sizes. The C-more is very durable, has a wider field of view, but has to be mounted higher up simply because it has to be on a mount. With a Quinn or Barry mount you can get the dot on the C-more pretty close to as low as a Doctor. Personally, I don't want my scope moving back and forth on the slide. I'm testing a Quinn mount on my one gun now and it has the dot roughly where a normal front sight would be. It does block some field of view to the left, but that quickly goes away once you get used to it (your left eye can see around it fine).

For Open 3-gun a slide-mounted optic would be a neat option if you want to put the gun in something like Blade Tech DOH holster rather than a race holster. R,

A C-More is the way to go, the slide mounted sights take a serious beating, plus the very good points Bart made already. I have shot a couple guns with slide mounted sights and you couldn't give me one.

Does anybody have pis of the Quinn or Barry mount ? Doe these place the c-more at a 90 degree?

Yep, I posted them here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=896959

I have a Barry on the way and will compare it with the Quinn. The Barry is more like 60* give or take. I'll post pics, but someone has posted them elsewhere...I'll try to find them and post a link. JT is probably making some slight changes to the Quinn to lower it a bit. I had to remove some metal from the top of the mounting pad and that raised the final position of the dot. Still, it puts the dot roughly where the front sight would be on an iron-sighted gun. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I first started shooting open with a Tasco Optima(precusor to the doctor, etc..). It was nice having the sight so close to the bore line. But the window is quite a bit smaller than the c-more. Once I switched to the C-more, I never looked back.

As for how to mount it, I've seen it mounted just about every way. Normal, slide ride, side ways, angled, even upside down. Just get it mounted and learn to run what you got. What works for one person, may not always work for you. Just don't ask if anyone is still using an OEG! They may laugh.

The slide mounted sights (JP, etc) are easier for a iron sight shooter to convert to. The C-more mounted on a Berry type mount will fit that bill as well. I've shot both quite a bit, started with a slide mounted, but now have settled on the C-more on a conventional mount.

For 3-gun the slide mounted does make a Kydex holster available, but I don't like em, have seen more guns dropped out of Kydex holsters than any other. The positive locking speed holsters (Ghost, etc, but not CR Speed) seem to withstand all the vigors of 3gun, as long as the lock stays locked.

jj

You also may want to consider a tube scope of some sort. I am a diehard Aimpoint user. There are lots of advantages to these over some of the other options. If you look, you will find a small but dedicated following for these. This has been discussed a lot in the past and there is lots of searchable history with details.

Quinn? Would someone post a pic or link.........

I went from JPoint on slide (Glock) to Dr on Frame (STI) to C-more with Barry mount on same STI.....never looked back!

Check post #8, I posted a link. Quinn Engineering, JThompson, now forum sponsor. R,

+1 on the Aimpoint. I'm loving my Aimpoint Micro. I think it's a similar weight to the C-More, but mounting options are a bit limited at the moment. Only Millennium Custom & RHT are making them at the moment.

Any specifics on the mount you are using? Has the relatively small 4 MOA dot been an issue at all?

Any specifics on the mount you are using? Has the relatively small 4 MOA dot been an issue at all?

I'm using a modified mount from Millennium Custom, it had to be cut up to fit the Tanfoglio.

micromount2.jpg

Eric is also selling one for Tanfoglio based on a modified RHT mount.

Both will fit SVI/STI unmodified.

Dot size is a non-issue for me, it's more about brightness and there is no problem with that on an Aimpoint

Dot size is a non-issue for me, it's more about brightness and there is no problem with that on an Aimpoint

I would agree but the 10 MOA XDs are quite a bit brighter than the 7s. I will have to check one of these out as an option on my next generation open gun.

Well when they work, and the one on my Open .40 hasn't puked yet, I've had my best success with a Tasco PDP5.

Gino, I started in open with PDP3s but they only lasted 2K-3K rounds before they went intermittent. I went through 3-4 of them in less than a year before I switched to Aimpoints. Based on the experience of others, the lifetime seemed quite variable depending on the vintage as well.

Why would a "small" dot be an issue?

As to which is better, assuming the sight works neither, it's the Indian not the arrow. Then again I just put an Aimpoint on.

Generally I would agree with the indian analogy but in the case of dot sights there are huge differences between say the Cmore and most tube sights.

For some reason I can't shoot a C-More to save my life. I have often wondered if it was the parallax issue (I am left eye-dominant, but shoot with my right).

I don't have problems with Parallax-free scopes like the Docter/Aimpoint, but with the C-More my shots would go left/right of the target.