Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cruelty To Animals

MichiganShootist

It was just one below zero this morning and as I was turning on the coffee pot .... a beat up old van pulled into my drive and backed out and sped off in the direction from which it had come. Since there are few places in the snow to turn around that wasn't too unusual so I went about my normal morning activities.

About 9:30 I looked across the street and there was a medium sized snow white cat curled up in a ball by the access door to my pole barn. Every few minutes the cat would get up on it's back feet and would scratch on the door. I kept an eye on the cat and soon noted that every time a vehicle went by (probably one every 30 minutes to an hour out here in the sticks) the cat would run to the street and run after the vehicle like a dog. It became pretty clear that the damn van had dumped the cat in my drive and now it was trying to "catch" it's owner. When the vehicles didn't stop the cat would limp back to the barn door and take up it's guard duty. I've never seen a cat act like that.

I finally went outside around 11:00 to get my paper and as soon as I opened the door the cat took off like a bullet running the 100 feet straight to my feet. It locked onto me and I could barely walk with it liening against me. Well it followed me to the door and proceeded to curl up in a ball by the door shivering and crying for over an hour until I couldn't take it any more and brought him in.

It turned out to be an about half grown all white blue eyed male cat... but it's feet and ears were frostbitten. The skin is peeling off the pads of it's feet but it's not bleeding and I think that it will be 100% with a little TLC... I put a little coat of neo-sporin on the feet and ears...and the cat allowed me to treat it (in fact it purred)...but I'm taking it to the vet in the morning to have the frostbite checked, get a lukemia test.. and if all that goes okay.. schedule him for his shots and a "fixing" operation. He ate an entire can of cat food (over a 4 hour period) and drank two cereal bowls full of water.. and has now slept the rest of the day.

When we have an animal shelter and a humane society in my county... why in the Hell would someone treat a beautiful animal this way. I had to "put down" my 17 year old Siamese about a year ago... so it was time to make this guy a home.

Here he is resting on the bookshelf in my office.

His name is still up for grabs.. but Blizzard and Frosty are the two top picks. Here is a picture of my new friend.

I'm not a cat person either but my first two were left outside and were crying. I couldn't let them die there so they became my friends.

That's a beautiful cat. I'm sure it will remember your kind deed and be your friend for life. Good Karma goes to you.

My one concern............. is that after a can of cat food and 2 bowls of water.. he has paid no attention to the provided cat box.

That could be a deal breaker.

Place him in it and make sure he knows where its at.

Good for you!

Stories like that (well the first part) are what convince me I wouldn't make it as an animal cop. If I was some @holes would have "unfortunate incidents".

I think that would be a great job. You get to taser, pepper spray and beat up people that do that. I say crank the taser up a notch for every abused animal. :angry2: