Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Participation at Matches

99gski

Hi everyone,

I am considering putting together a program to increase the number of revolver shooters in the action shooting sports. I think its wonderful to see people dusting off their old single stacks to shoot them from the club level all the way up to national championships and I would love to see the same for revolver. If you wouldn't mind chiming in with your answers to the following:

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in (USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, NRA, etc.)?

2. How often do you shoot revolver at the club level?

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? And with a revolver?

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)?

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? If so, which ones and why?

6. Why do you like to compete in the revolver divisions?

7. If you don't shoot revolver in matches, are you interested in giving it a try - why or why not?

Thanks so much!

Julie

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I am considering putting together a program to increase the number of revolver shooters in the action shooting sports. I think its wonderful to see people dusting off their old single stacks to shoot them from the club level all the way up to national championships and I would love to see the same for revolver. If you wouldn't mind chiming in with your answers to the following:

1. What sports do you shoot your revolver in (USPSA, ICORE, IDPA, Steel, NRA, etc.)?

3. How many majors do you shoot each year (state/regional/areas)? And with a revolver?

4. Do you shoot a national championship with your revolver and if so which one(s)?

5. Would you consider crossing over to other shooting sports with your revolver? If so, which ones and why?

7. If you don't shoot revolver in matches, are you interested in giving it a try - why or why not?

Thanks so much!

Julie

Julie :bow: ,

1. USPSA, ICORE, Steel

2. Weekly

3. 6 major matches plus the USPSA Nationals and this year the IRC

4. USPSA Nationals and IRC

5. Would like to try NRA

6. More of a challenge + the camaraderie

Would you ask SW put some 5" barrells on the 625 for us.

Thanks,

Bob

1. USPSA, ICORE, Steel

2. I shoot 3 or 4 times a month with a revolver.

3. I shoot 6 - 8 majors a year, all with revolver.

4. USPSA and ICORE nationals.

5. Yes, I plan to start shooting IDPA this year.

6. Revolver presents greater shooting challenge than the other divisions.

7. N/A

Hi Julie,

You are also getting a PM from me. ;)

1 USPSA primarily, ICORE when convenient (not often here in the south), IDPA when there is nothing else to shoot. NO STEEL and NRA shooting in my area.

2 quite, depending on upcoming events and what I'm shooting there. BUT I would say 75% of the time.

3 Last year, 6 majors with a revovler (9 in all)

4 Yes generally, USPSA

5 Would do steel, and NRA if it was close and no gamer more than 6 guns . ;)

6 With USPSA and IDPA the 6 shot limits make the shooting more skill related, not an equipment race, everyone is equal. ICORE let it get away and doesn't put enough "recognition to 6 guns" it takes a 627 to compete at the top level. Other than that, the people are just a little more "different" in a good way. :cheers:

7 I'm in the process to make it more avialable for shooters that don't normally shoot revolvers to shoot a big match. (USPSA)

You're welcome, and THANK YOU !!!!

Hopalong/Sam

Thanks for all that you do Julie :cheers:

1. USPSA, ICORE, IDPA

2. I have shot revolver exclusively since 2001

3. Maybe 2or 3 sectionals, one area match, and 1 Nationals

4. 2002 thru 2007 Nationals with revolver.

5. Yes, trigger time is trigger time. I will shoot anything.

6. I like the challenge of the revolver, not that many people are willing to even try it. It is the hardest division of all to shoot. The revolver family of shooters is hands down the best group of people I have ever been associated with, and that includes Cliff and Carmoney.

And as long as we are asking for wishes, how about a couple of 6" barrels when you get done with Bob's 5"

Tom Mainus

L-2448 USPSA

LWI 1060 ICORE

A194473 IDPA

L203 1911 Society (How did that happen)

Edited by Tom Mainus

7, (why not) I really wanted to get in to IDPA revolver, I would do USPSA with an auto loader. That way I could keep the sports seperate. I bought what I considered the perfect for me IDPA gun, a 646 which is an Lframe .40 moonclip revolver with a 4" barrel and a titanium cylinder. I bought clips, IDPA legal leather holsters, moonclip holders developed bought brass, etc etc, shot one match and then the rules changed, requiring me to shoot major pf ammo. Suddenly my nice lightweight play gun was obsolete and non competitive. So much for stability of rules. Havent shot revolver since.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!

Julie

Hi Julie

1. USPSA ( I shoot an eight shot in Open Class ) ICORE / Steel / Pins ( when I can find a match ) & NRA

2. 3 Times a month

3. Up to 12

4. IRC / Steel Challenge / US Steel Shoot / Bianchi Cup ( this year with Revolver ) / Asian Pacific Masters Games &

will probably look for a slot at the USPSA Nationals this year now that I am local. Have shot the IPSC Nationals prior with

an 8 shot, and competed in Open.

5. What else is there.......? I think Sporting Clays would be fun with a revolver. :roflol:

6. Because that is what I learnt to shoot with.....a 686.... and I have loved it ever since.

7. N/A

Regards

Mark..

p.s. Congrats on the baby....we have a new one too, and I know it gets real busy......

Hi Julie,

1. I shoot In USPSA and ICORE and once in a while I get to shoot Steel.

2. I get to shoot about five times a month at club level matches, 3 USPSA and 2 ICORE

3. In USPSA I may get to shoot 2 majors a year, in ICORE I may be able to get to 3 Regionals and then the IRC.

4. I shoot the IRC every year and was able to get to 2 of the last USPSA Nationals

5.I would like to try the NRA action events.

6. Mostly it is the people in the division. A nicer group could not be found as a whole.

Even My Open gun is a Revo.

Thank you Julie for taking interest in the Revo particpation.

Roger D. Davis aka (Bubber)

Hi Julie,

1. I shoot In USPSA and ICORE and once in a while I get to shoot Steel.

2. I get to shoot about five times a month at club level matches, 3 USPSA and 2 ICORE

3. In USPSA I may get to shoot 2 majors a year, in ICORE I may be able to get to 3 Regionals and then the IRC.

4. I shoot the IRC every year and was able to get to 2 of the last USPSA Nationals

5.I would like to try the NRA action events.

6. Mostly it is the people in the division. A nicer group could not be found as a whole.

Even My Open gun is a Revo.

Thank you Julie for taking interest in the Revo particpation.

Roger D. Davis aka (Bubber)

I shoot ICORE twice a month, USPSA when I get the chance, Local club matches and Steel matches.

Revolver people are very friendly and will always help you with suggestions on equipment, load data, even lending you equipment for matches. This happened at the IRC one year when my scope died. No less than 5 competitors that I had never met before went to their cars and brought me their spare red dots.

Roger is one of the better shooters and friendly as can be. If you live by him he will get you started the right way. He has more information that most shooters I've known. Too bad he left Arizona :yawn:

I don't shoot near as much as I use to but if I had to give away all my guns but one it would be a revo.

1. USPSA, Steel, PPC, PINS

2. 2 or 3x per month

3. 1 maybe, only shoot revolver

4. No, never have shot any national

5. Sure, almost anything if within reasonable drining distance

6. I hate chasing brass

7. I only shoot revolver

1. I shoot USPSA and IDPA.

2. When I’m caught up on my chores, I shoot up to 9 local matches per month and sometimes a second gun. 2 USPSA, 3 IDPA and Monday nights an

IDPAish match. Probably 80% revolver on avg.

3. I have been competing 2 years, first year I shot 2 majors with revolver. Last year I shot 6 majors, 3 round and 3 flat.

4. Haven’t yet.

5. Yes, I would like to try ICORE and Steel Challenge. Why? The challenge of something different.

6. I just prefer to shoot revolvers. I usually compete against all divisions in my mind, the few times I have been in a field of revolver shooters was like

being with home folk even though I had never met most of them before.

Thanks for asking, I appreciate your interest.

1 USPSA/ICORE/ Steel/ may try NRA this year/ may try IDPA some day

2 4or 5 times a month

3 4 to 5

4 no nationals yet

5 Yeah if I can shoot a revo in it I will shoot it.

6 I shot my first gun when I was 3 years old. A Smith model 36. I was hooked.

1. USPSA, ICORE, Steel

2. 2 - 4 times a month depending on my weekend work rotation.

3. 4 majors a year, revolver only.

4. No, I'd just make a bigger fool of myself.

5. I'd shoot almost anything that came up locally - not yet ready for cowboy action but who knows?

6. We have a strong contingent of very friendly revolver shooters in south Louisiana and it's easy to get sucked in.

7. You're preaching to the choir in this forum Julie.

1. Mostly USPSA and steel matches. I shot the IRC a couple of years ago and have participated in a couple of regional ICORE matches. In 2004 I shot the Steel Challenge with a 627.

2. Three or four times a month if you count steel matches.

3. I typically shoot 6 or 7 major USPSA matches with revolver.

4. I shoot the USPSA Nationals every year with my 625.

5. Maybe--although I think I'm shooting most of them already. I'm not interested in IDPA.

6. Why do I like to compete in the revolver divisions? It's the toughest division to run in. I like the challenge of coordinating a plan to shoot big field courses with a 6-rounder. It also helps my shooting overall, running my 1911 or XD seems easy by comparison!

7. I do think we're going to be seeing another wave of new interest in competition revolver in '09. I have been doing action work on all kinds of wheelguns for people who tell me they want to get started in revolver division. Here locally we have several guys who have taken a very strong interest in the wheel, and stand to give me some serious competition--which is exactly what I'm looking for, of course! :D

I am going to get a revolver card in USPSA this year, mainly just to get a card and have some fun at otherwise boring classifier matches. There is a little too much work/monkey business involved in shooting a revolver in USPSA for me to stick with it, zero to one 1 second mag changes for Open or Limited vs 4-6 two second reloads in revolver. I just like shooting a lot more than managing equipment in a competitive environment.

Just out shooting for fun? I'll be shooting revolvers, I have always liked them more than anything else and have shot them more than anything else by a huge margin. I am a revolver guy at heart but I leave them at home on match day.

Hi,Julie.I have decided to shoot revo this year.I just got tired of the "race" and have dedicated this year, and maybe more to come,to having FUN and shooting revo all year.I plan on shooting as many matches as possible and smilin' the whole time.

Bubba-

1. Mostly Steel matches (PSA, Steel Challenge) but did get classified in USPSA, and have shot a couple ICORE matches

2. Once every month or so at at local Knock Down Steel match.

3. Four to Five major Steel matches

4. I have at both the Steel Challenge and US Steel Nationals

5. If USPSA had an Open Revolver Div I would.

6. The enjoyment?

1) I shoot USPSA, IDPA, & Steel

2) I shoot revolver solely and participate in 1 or 2 matches a month.

3) I have shot 3 state level matches with revolver. 2 IDPA & 1 USPSA

4) I have not shot any national matches

5) I would be willing to participate in other shooting sports using a revolver. I am open to pretty much to trying any shooting sport that allows revolvers.

6) I feel that it challenges me to focus more and plan better for stages. It also has improved my handgun shooting overall, and I have found that it is more fun to me than using other handguns in matches.

7) I only shoot revolver in matches

Edited by Blueridge

It would be great to see another recognizable face take an interest in our Division.

1. USPSA, ICORE, did NRA Action Pistol many years ago, no Steel in my area.

2. Occassionally used a Revo prior to the Official Revolver Division and since probably 80% of the time I shoot a Revovler now.

At 2 local clubs it broke down to 9 Matches with a Revolver and 3 with an STI 2011.

3. In the past 4 years:

3 years to the Area 3 with a Revolver and 1 year with STI Limited

Twice to Iowas Revolver Only Match

Twice to Iowa Sectional Match with Revovler

3 years to Kansas Sunflower Classic with a Revolver (didn't attend the 2008 SS only Sunflower due to work)

Participation went from the only competitor at Ks State Match in 2004 to 18 at the 2007 Sunflower Classic/Sectional

Set up a big ICORE Match after Sunflower Classic in 2007

3 years to Arkansas ICORE Midwest Regional

4. 2007 and 2008 LPR Nationals with a Revolver. Had attended 3 Nationals in the late '80' and early '90's with a Semi-Auto

5. ICORE, Steel. No interest in IDPA.

6. I like the challenge and the camraderie is fun.

7. NA.

1. Well, just bought a S&W 627 Pro, will be trying out USPSA, Icore and Steel with the revolver (currently run a Glock)

2. haven't yet.

3. 0

4. No

5. Yes

6. it's more of a challenge, and I look damn good doing "air" reloads ;)

7. Yes - I haven't shot revolver yet, because I have nothing except the gun. I need gear, would S&W buy a left handed shooter some shooting gear???

Hi, Julie, and thanks.

1. IDPA usually, have shot some ICORE;

2. 5-7 times a month;

3. usually 4-6, in the past two years all with a revolver;

4. the one national I shot (IDPA) was with a revolver;

5. I would like to shoot more ICORE if it was in the area;

6. I enjoy the difficulty and the camaraderie (spelling ?) of shooting a revolver; and

7. although I have shot revolvers exclusively for the past two years, I just bought an M&P pro and am planning on competing exclusively with that this year.

DMG.

Thanks to Craig Buckland,

I just started last year,

ICORE & IDPA are most fun so far................ICORE being the better of the two for me.

I will likely shoot once on month (round gun) if matches are available ICORE & IDPA

I'll shoot my first major with a revo next month (S&W Winter Nationals), then see how it goes....

IDPA, Steel, ICORE seem best suited to me, USPSA not so much.

Why do you like to compete in the revolver divisions?

It is a lot of fun if, it doesn't turn into a reloading contest,

it is a challenge,

and

mostly to try to beat BUCKLAND of course! :D

Edited by 9x21