Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Who uses a fiber optic?

bkeeler

I currently have mine blacked out. So I voted no.

I just started doing the same thing after coming back to my fiber sighted production gun. I've been shooting a non-fiber limited gun for over a year and think it's great.

M/Yes here. It brings my attention closer to the front post, and it funnels my vision to the tiny serrations when I am shooting at long distances. I could probably live without it, but since I have been using one from the beginning, I really do not see a reason to ditch it.

I am thinking of going back to the fiber just to change things up a bit. The problem I had with it before was the fiber was washing the top of the front sight blade out. In the beginning of my competition shooting it was great. But I don't know if it would really make me any faster now.

BK

After wondering whether it was a crutch, I tried mine blacked out. Now I'm with the Pharoah on this one...it definitely brings my older eye to the front sight. Now I just have to keep working on not jumping the gun on solid sight alignment. Shooting at first sight of the FO is probably like break the shot with regular sights as soon as you see brown...not a way to nail down a lot of As.

The FO has value so I don't want to toss the baby with the bath water. But it's no substitute for visual patience.

Curtis

B Single Stack

B Lim10

5 Gun EX in IDPA

Red Fiber is best for me but I can get by with green. To be specific, I like the .60 fiber. Some folks say it's too big but for my eyes, it's perfect. I have repeatedly hit 25 yard head shots with it so I figure it's working. :devil:

M - Production

A - Limited

I started out using one on my Production / LTD Glocks then I ditched & switch the Glocks to an STI. My Edge came with a regular iron sight that I shot for over a year with much success. So I thought I'd give the FO sight another try - stuck one on the Edge and couldn't wait to pull it back off within a day or two.

I get lazy with a fiber optic .... yes it draws my attention to the sight very quickly but that's where the benefits end. It might be great for a speed stage, but I get very sloppy when shooting accuracy biased stuff. Can't have that. I'd rather be a tad slower on the short stuff and shoot mucho points, than the other way around.

I'm much more accurate with a thin (.090) iron sight out front. BTW the serrations are still there ..... with or without the FO.

I get lazy with a fiber optic .... yes it draws my attention to the sight very quickly but that's where the benefits end. It might be great for a speed stage, but I get very sloppy when shooting accuracy biased stuff. Can't have that. I'd rather be a tad slower on the short stuff and shoot mucho points, than the other way around.

I'm much more accurate with a thin (.090) iron sight out front. BTW the serrations are still there ..... with or without the FO.

I am with you Chris. I tend to get lazy with the f/o I see fiber and pull the trigger. When I blacked mine out my points got better and my times did not suffer they where actually a little better. I tried before to go back to the f/o but the points went to hell. So I think I will stick with the blacked out fiber. Not to say that the f/o didn't help when I first started.

Thanks for all the input.

:cheers:

BK

I switched back to black. Had run with Dawson and Sevigny FO for several months. Shooting to deliberately is a weakness in my game. I felt the FO front aggravated that weakness. The entire sight picture is cleaner now. I don't feel like I'm grinding on the front sight at targets <20 yards.

Prescription shooting glasses ain't hurting either. ;)

Jim

Echoing some of the above shooters.

Installed a fiber when I began shooting - straight from factory night sights to a heinew/dawson setup on my G34. Shot that for 8 months. Eventually tried a steel front, because I found one dirt cheap.

I've never missed the fiber. I can hit things FAST at distance now. :)

"B" production. I like the fiber optic. I can see the issue some seem to have with it but, in my humble opinion, finding that front sight is most important to me. I'm 38 years old and have no issues with my eyes (after some fine work with a laser). One of these days I might try the plain front sight but for now I'm happy with my setup.

I never have trouble finding the sight, I just have trouble using it!

Started with FO, got lazy and would shoot whenever the dot was there. Went back to plain black blade on my G34 and prefer it, even though my 54 yo eyes may like something else.

It's a matter of discipline, and I find I don't have it that much anymore so I just stay with the plain blade. My G17 is set with an FO that I roll out every now and then, but find myself drifting back to bad habits.

"B" Production.

c/limited 10

c/limited

d production

I had it on my production gun, but went without on my single stack and limited/limited10 guns. Have not shot the production gun in a year or so. I really like the black on black sights for now.

M-Limited, Yes, but I keep it just barely over the .040 and don't mind if it has a little filth on it to keep it dimmed a bit.

+1 to all the above.

I still use the fiber, but very small and dim, in green. Its more a reminder to my 44 year old tiring eyes (I have startred wearing a prescripion to shoot in the last few years) what I'm supposed to be looking for every shot (the blade of the front sight, not just the dot). I still line up the blade in the notch, but the fiber helps me find the blade again a little bit faster.

Using the dot as the end all to be all for what your front sight alignment should be, is a mistake. Sure, its quick at 5 yard targets, but you still have to get your proper sight picture, or risk sloppiness.

I think of fiber as almost a trick of the day, if all you are doing is lining up the dot in the notch. It will get you faster, but very quickly you get kind of immune to it and your accuracy can sufffer. You still have to see what you need to see every shot.... if the fiber becomes an obstacle to you for this, then ditch it.

Or you can always keep the fiber blackened, but light it up for dim or low light shooting, occasionally.

Edited by sfinney

I'm using FO on my Limited gun only because I don't want to spend the money to have my SS switched over (my guns were built before dovetail front sights were popular). I am 62 and prefer the green fiber optic because it is sharp to my vision (the red/orange is fuzzy) and draws my attention to it. It hasn't made me a better shooter or anything but it helps me enjoy competing. I prefer Hi-Viz but will use others.

Richard