Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage rehearsal between shooters

I’m not really sure where this should be posted. It’s not really a question, but I don’t think it is within the “What I Hate” rules. If it needs to be moved please do so.

Anyway, when a shooter is finished shooting and you are rehearsing the stage, please be mindful of where the shooters mags have fallen. Saturday, as I was bent over to pick a mag here comes the foot of some … right down on top of it. This was a Glock mag and the ground was soft so no harm was done. Had this been a more expensive magazine, or a different setting me and Bigfoot would have had some words. So just look where you step when you’re going through the stage.

Anyone who's not rude will at least take the time to move said magazine somewhere where they won't step on it and where you can find it. Someone polite might actually pick it up and hand it to you, regardless of their walkthrough...

If I;m the next shooter I will usually follow the shooter down, after it has been called clear, retrieve his mags and hand them off (if someone else hasn't beat me too it) then practice the stage...to be honest, I don't want to trip on someone elses gear, and I'd hate to damage another shooters mags.

It wasn't that long ago that when you finished looking at your targets with the RO there were folks handing you your mags AND your brass!!

Not sure what happened to those days?!

You are right,,,,, what happend to the days when you got your, mags and brass.... after each shooter... if the shooter was a non-reloader, the brass was an added bonus! But getting your own brass back is nice. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm <_<

Seth,

I don't recall the faux pas in question, but I found the brass rats to be kind of irritating on Saturday. I'm getting geared up to crash again and there's some guy underfoot picking up brass. WTF? Wait til the stage is clear or there's absolutely nobody around.

It was especially irritating since the guy was grabbing .45. It wasn't like it was the golden 38sc....

It was on either the first or second stage we shot. I didn't say much at the time, but after cleaning the mud out of the mag, it started bothering me more.

When I walk forward to tape I will pick up any mag I see and get it to the last shooter when I can. The way I see it, the last shooter is enjoying his handy work, the on-deck shooter is getting in his last look so neither of them should be messing with the stuff on the ground if they don't want to. The rest of the squad can help (since they are all taping, brassing (if the local custom) and setting targets, right? :rolleyes: ) Stepping on a mag is not cool but the guy probably did not mean to do it. He probably had other things on his mind...

Later,

Chuck

When I walk forward to tape I will pick up any mag I see and get it to the last shooter when I can. The way I see it, the last shooter is enjoying his handy work, the on-deck shooter is getting in his last look so neither of them should be messing with the stuff on the ground if they don't want to. The rest of the squad can help (since they are all taping, brassing (if the local custom) and setting targets, right? :rolleyes: ) Stepping on a mag is not cool but the guy probably did not mean to do it. He probably had other things on his mind...

Later,

Chuck

I am Bigfoot. I stepped on a mag last month. It was an accident as I was taping targets and just didn't look where I was going. I do usually either tape or pick up brass if I'm not on deck or just got done shooting. I was surprised as the mag was pretty far from the fault lines. I hope it wasn't your mag Chuck. :unsure:

Things happen, I know they are not cheap, but often we just get focused on what we're doing. Try and remain civil. He probably didn't mean to, I know I didn't.

JZ

What really sucks is the brass rats picking up your expensive .38SC brass when they don't even shoot it. It's like they are going to stock pile it and sell it on Egay or something. REALLY pisses me off! :angry:

I like the way we do it out at Rio. Folks waiting to shoot (not OD or INH) are specifically called out to brass/pick up mags/tape/set steel. Works really well as that crew normally beats the walkthroughs getting out onto the stage. Usually.

Shooting Open certainly has its advantages though as well. :D

I am Bigfoot. I stepped on a mag last month. It was an accident as I was taping targets and just didn't look where I was going. I do usually either tape or pick up brass if I'm not on deck or just got done shooting. I was surprised as the mag was pretty far from the fault lines. I hope it wasn't your mag Chuck. :unsure:

JZ

Jimmy,

I was shooting single stack. That means there are mags flying all over the place! I didn't find any that were stepped on though. :cheers:

I understand that it’s going to happen on occasion, that’s fine. My problem was the fact that I was bent over to pick it up, and when it happened there was no “Hey man, sorry about that”. And it wasn’t the On-Deck or Hole shooter.

• 9 months later...

I think that I am going to add a few "Etiquette Rules" to the squad lists from now on. An maybe supply a bucket or tray for each stage to pile brass in for those that don't want it.

I too remember when we used top police the brass, sort it out and hand it back to the shooters. Brass got cheap and plentiful, we got fat and lazy. Brass isn't that cheap and its not that available (not at good prices) so maybe its time to go back to the past and re-institute some of our older traditions. Might even move the match along smoother.

Jim

Lately I have been getting my brass handed to me at club matches and it freaks me out a little cause I'm not used to it in the last few years but always appreciate it. I have always picked my Super up and used to look like a "groveler" in those heady days of Pro/Lim growth and free or almost free brass. I remember being on squads leaving 200+ brass a stage and everybody saying "I never pick up brass even in practice." I still shoot with quite a bit of people that leave brass.

We still pickup brass and mags at our range. WE have a great group of people there... it's not just about that though, it's an indoor range and having a pile of brass on a concrete floor is a safety hazard.

JT

Edited by JThompson