Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fastest gun in the North?

It's a fact and I did it from the hip.

Wouldn't reccomend it if you have a compensated gun though.

I did it many years ago after I saw Bob Munden bragging about being the fastest gun in the world on the TV.

He was telling the reporter that he could draw in less than 0.02 seconds!!

After talking to World record holder Ernie Hill at the Ernie Hill Desert Classic in 1991 I was convinced that Bob Munden was telling a bedtime story.

Ernie Told me that the record in fast draw was 0.21 sec and that he held it.

Later back home in Sweden me and couple of guys went out to the range and tried to get near his time using our 1911 45:s.

The closest we got where my time of 0.38 seconds and I actually hit the target in the A-zone.

First we tried the normal draw, aim and fire. Our best times where around 0.7 seconds and the results where rather erratic.

The we tried hip shooting and the times went down a bit but it was really hard to hit the target.

After practicing for a couple of ours my best time was 0.38 second.

O'boy, we where young, fast and rather stupid then...

Now 43 and being a dad I wouldn't dream of doing it again....

Whats your fastest time?? :sight:

Cheers

Fredrik Lundbeck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of the retired guys around here have started a quick-draw club. They shoot vintage and new 45 Long Colts, from leather, from the hip, at 5 yards I think. The guy who started the club was a National Champion at one point I think... 20 years ago. But damn he's fast at 60-something... And still shoots 6-8" groups from the hip, with a single action revolver, in WAY under a second... I'll have to ask him what his fast times are and were with a SINGLE ACTION RUGER....

JeffWard

My best time?

One shot draw, A zone hits is .8 seconds.

I thought that was pretty good as I could do it consistantly after a little practice.

That is not "from the hip" but aiming as I would do in a match.

I suspect the RO would have a heart attack if you shot from the hip in a match.

Edited by 38superman

I've been down in the high .50's with a BT DOH and a Limited gun just playing, when I first started this I worked on the draw a LOT. Mid .60's with an Open gun and a CR Speed. I used to be able to run .8x on demand for an aimed hit, anymore I will be 1.0-1.2. I could draw really fast but that was about all I was doing well then.

Some of the guys who hang out at the gunshop counter can do it that fast ... Actually about .002 faster I think. They tell me the reason is they are using 9 MM and the bullet being faster makes the difference....

:rolleyes:

:roflol: That is hilarious!

I have a friend in West Texas that gave the fast draw stuff a try with a Ruger Blackhawk in a cowboy rig. Full load .357 magnum rounds slowed him down. Around the third or fourth draw he started picking up the speed. We nick-named him "Hop-a-long". After 25 years he still has a bit of a limp.

Bill

I have a friend in West Texas that gave the fast draw stuff a try with a Ruger Blackhawk in a cowboy rig. Full load .357 magnum rounds slowed him down. Around the third or fourth draw he started picking up the speed. We nick-named him "Hop-a-long". After 25 years he still has a bit of a limp.

Bill

:surprise: ouch! :surprise:

so.... what was his time on the draw to his foot? :D

-rvb

After reading Fast And Fancy Revolver Shooting by Ed McGiver a few months ago I had to give it a try and was able to get off shots from .5 to .7 seconds with my 627 and SpeedSec holster. I don't have the confidence to try it in a match yet but may give it a try on those big steel targets.

• 5 weeks later...

If you have ever watched Bob Munden, you will know he can do it. I have seen him countless times on tv, and once in person. His fastest time is to draw and fire - not at a target. Although he can draw and fire twice, hitting two separated balloons incredibly fast too. For his exhibition, he shoots blanks, and it is the unburned powder that hits the balloons.

Totally different timer set-ups. We are reacting to a beep, the fast draw guys have their finger on a button near the holster.

Try firing a shot the instant you hear the beep, loaded gun in hand, my reaction times vary, but they are way longer than 0.02 sec. More like .13.

Like John said, the SASS guys don't count reaction time. I have heard a lot of trash talk from SASS shooters about Munden, but make no mistake the guy is really fast. The .02 sounds like an error that was counted as legitimate...but what do I know?

The fastest IPSC type draw to an audible signal that I have witnessed was by forum member Sam. I don't recall the exact time but it was around a half a second and he didn't "jump" the buzzer. I was running the timer. My fastest times are not worth mentioning. :roflol:

For you Bob Munden nay sayers, here is the dope straight from his website.

Bob holds 18 unbroken World Records in Fast Draw competition that he set with a real, un-gimmicked, stock-weight, Colt .45 single-action revolver. Though the World Fast Draw Association erased the records more than once when they changed regulations or timing equipment, Bob set them again, always using a real gun and a real holster, no light-weight funny guns or gimmicks. In competition with blanks, some of his records are:

Walk and Draw Level Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .15 hundredths of one second - Arcadia, CA 06/04/1972.

Standing Reaction Balloon Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .16 hundredths of one second - Norwalk, CA 01/21/1973.

Total of Five Separate Shots, Standing Reaction Balloons: 1 and .06 hundredths of one second - Arizona State Championships, 1966.

Self-Start: Fastest Time: .0175 hundredths of one second - Guinness Book of World Records Museum, New York, 1976. This time is less than one half, of one half, of one tenth, of one second. Bob has been recognized by the Guinness Book as: "Fastest Gun" "Quickest Draw" and "The Fastest Man With A Gun Ever Alive."

Using live ammunition, Bob holds the record for hitting a 2' x 4' steel, rectangle target 21' away in .21 hundredths of one second.

The address for the site is: www.bob-munden.com if you would like to see for yourself.

For you Bob Munden nay sayers, here is the dope straight from his website.

Bob holds 18 unbroken World Records in Fast Draw competition that he set with a real, un-gimmicked, stock-weight, Colt .45 single-action revolver. Though the World Fast Draw Association erased the records more than once when they changed regulations or timing equipment, Bob set them again, always using a real gun and a real holster, no light-weight funny guns or gimmicks. In competition with blanks, some of his records are:

Walk and Draw Level Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .15 hundredths of one second - Arcadia, CA 06/04/1972.

Standing Reaction Balloon Event: Fastest Time Ever Recorded: .16 hundredths of one second - Norwalk, CA 01/21/1973.

Total of Five Separate Shots, Standing Reaction Balloons: 1 and .06 hundredths of one second - Arizona State Championships, 1966.

Self-Start: Fastest Time: .0175 hundredths of one second - Guinness Book of World Records Museum, New York, 1976. This time is less than one half, of one half, of one tenth, of one second. Bob has been recognized by the Guinness Book as: "Fastest Gun" "Quickest Draw" and "The Fastest Man With A Gun Ever Alive."

Using live ammunition, Bob holds the record for hitting a 2' x 4' steel, rectangle target 21' away in .21 hundredths of one second.

The address for the site is: www.bob-munden.com if you would like to see for yourself.

I have seen Bob shoot and he is fast, but I never realized that he had on blue tights under his regular dress and that the outfit had a bright yellow S on the chest...

• 1 month later...

I've seen old Cal Erlich (sp?) at his old Steel Challenge demos hit balloons at about 5 yards with wax bullets in .208, reacting to a light coming on when he was demoing the different draws. The start there was hands-not-quite-touching the pistol in the holster. Pretty cool for a guy that looks like he's just another grandpa out with the kids.