Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you store your bulk brass?

merkel

I used to use a lot of coffee cans with the snap lids to keep the clean brass clean. Some brass I have in larger quantities so I now use these medium sized square buckets that cat littler comes in.

For the large quantities I just pour it in bulk but for smaller qtys I put it in ziploc bags and then in the buckets. I write whats in the bucket on the outside so I know what is in it when it is stacked.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

I use these containers (here's your picture :rolleyes: )...

9668960536B.jpg

Later,

Chuck

ETA: Welcome to the forum!

Using cat litter buckets, now there is a smart man. :D

The ones I use look a little different but are basically the same thing.

Neal in AZ

For 9mm all dirty brass in 5 gallon buckets. Clean brass in Sterilite boxes from Walmart. It's a rectangular box with a snap on lid and handle.

My 38 special gets sorted by headstamp, so I have multiple boxes. You guys are going to laugh at this one:

Dirty once fired R-P

Clean once fired R-P (for matches)

Dirty used R-P

Clean used R-P (practice)

Then I have the same setup for Winchester 38, for steel loads.

Can you say OCD? :roflol:

But my loading room is still a mess.

Good luck,

Seiichi

ps. I think i need to get a cat, so i can get those scoop away containers. I wonder if I can tumble brass in kitty litter? Or get the cat to crap on corn cob media.

Cat Litter Buckets with contents written on the lids. Stuff I come back from the range with gets sorted into dirty buckets, purchased lots of brass get tumbled first, then sorted into clean buckets. When I fill a bucket of dirty brass, it gets tumbled, dumped back in the container and a different lid get put on it....

A bunch of Sterilite 20qt containers for all my clean brass. I tend to keep most of the once (only once) fired brass in some containers and the others that I use regularly in another. A bunch of smaller Sterilite containers for uncleaned brass. I clean all my brass when I get 200-300 pieces at a time so don't need lots of containers for dirtly brass.

I like using five gallon buckets with the Gamma Seal lids on them. I use a real fancy duct tape label to write what is inside and when the contents change; acetone the words off of the tape and write a new label on the same tape with a Sharpie marker. The Gamma Seal screw off lids are pretty handy compared to the pry off lids normally used on the buckets.

9668960536B.jpg

Later,

Chuck

I use the same buckets as chuck for storage. I also use these to separate the brass from dirty media after cleaning, but thats a different thread :)

Anyone have any input for proper long term storage of NEW brass? Got lots of new starline packed as they ship it and was wondering if it is good to go for a couple of years or if I should pack it differently? Add in desicant?

9668960536B.jpg

Later,

Chuck

I use the same buckets as chuck for storage. I also use these to separate the brass from dirty media after cleaning, but thats a different thread :)

Anyone have any input for proper long term storage of NEW brass? Got lots of new starline packed as they ship it and was wondering if it is good to go for a couple of years or if I should pack it differently? Add in desicant?

Larry,

I just used some .45 brass that I had cleaned and polished in 2004. it was still shiny. I stored it in ziplock bags and put the bags into, well you know... :rolleyes:

Not dealing with mega-thousands of rounds (hundreds, maybe), my cleaned brass goes in plastic bags and stored in small cardboard boxes. Some for longer storage is in snap-lid plastic containers (about the size you'd use for leftover food in quantity). Dirty brass just gets counted and tossed into a paper bag until it's time for the tumbler.

Coffee cans until the can is full, then the brass goes into the tumbler. Different cans for each caliber, then when the brass is clean it is sorted and goes into ammo cans. Back when I used to do lots of shooting the brass would go into the wire bound wood crates that the ammo came in that my good Uncle gave me. When that was full I either turned in the brass or processed it for reloading.

I only have a couple thousand brass in each of the calibers I reload, so no need for 5 gal buckets here. Dirty brass goes into coffee cans until I can clean them. Cleaned brass goes into plastic screw top plastic jars that used to hold Blue Diamond Almonds from Costco (we eat a lot of almonds...).

What can I say, they are free, stackable, and are fairly durable. They even have a molded handle for one handed grabbing off the shelf. Labeling is done w/ a sharpie and masking tape.